Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Milo or corn?

KSQ2

PMA Member
I'm going to be planting a small one acre food plot in the next couple of weeks. I'm planning on planting alternating rows of beans and either corn or milo. I don't need any cover in this plot, actually I'd prefer the deer not bedding in the plot. With the added cost of planting corn (I can get ahold of milo seed very reasonably) is there any other big advantage of the corn over the milo besides late summer/eary fall cover?
One other question I forgot to ask, beans do a pretty good job of fertilizing themselves; so how much 13/13/13 should I put on the soil for the corn/milo? The soil is in pretty good shape already, considering the landowner has used the area for garden planting in past years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how much 13/13/13 should I put on the soil for the corn/milo </div></div>

Corn and milo love nitrogen and how much you put on is usually relevant to how well it does.

I normally put 500#'s per acre of triple 19 and often ad 46% urea later on. Corn can easily use 150# of nitrogen per acre.

Milo may not need quite as much but 400#'s of triple 13 is still only 52# of nitrogen.

Make sure you till it in right after applying it.

Beans still need P&K but if the soil is in good shape you can get by with out any extra.

The high costs of nitrogen and herbicide have soured me on corn as much as I love the stuff for wildlife. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get RR milo or LL milo as well. </div></div>

Just wondering, what is LL milo?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoessHillsArcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get RR milo or LL milo as well. </div></div>

Just wondering, what is LL milo? </div></div>

Liberty Link is along the lines of Roundup Ready crops where corn (for instance) is bred with the LL resistant genes.

Liberty Link

I'm sure nanny could set you up with all the needed LL seed and herbicide... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Switching between LL and RR is highly beneficial when you leave crops standing for food plots. With corn plots left standing alot ends up on the ground and germinates the next spring exspecially if it is not harvested. So RR one year and LL the next helps combat this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turkeyriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really? Any links to buying RR or LL milo? What seed company makes it? </div></div>

Syngenta has a line of LL/RR (or LL/GT on their label)sorgum/milo. Don't sell alot of it, but guys that do split rows of milo/corn love it.

Thanks for the info guys, been away from the computer for a while. Decided to go with the milo, as little as I'm planting, I'm afraid the corn would getted blitzed by coons. I'll be sure and get the fertilizer on it as well. Can't wait to get started, rain forcasted for the next week though. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Top Bottom