Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mineral ingredients

bjkpharmd

Bought minerals yesterday.
50# Di-Cal 18 $11
100# Trace salts $12.50
50# Feed salt $3
50# dried molasses $11.50

When I mix this with existing soil it is going to take a pretty good sized hole. Do I want the mixture to start flush with the surroundings or is mounded over the center of the hole OK?

I just poured mine on top Pharmer and they dug the hole over time. I don't put that much out all at once though. I take a bucket full in and then just keep adding to it...guess it might not matter though. I did dig a hole once and mixed the dirt with it but after I saw what they did on their own, I figured the heck with that! Dang clay is to hard around here!
grin.gif

I've always read that folks who mix there own do so in a big container and only put out about a coffee can full, just on top of the ground.

The 'Bonker

OK- stand back everyone, trained professional mixing chemicals here. Never saw this listed in USP and the dosing escapes me at the moment.

From somewhat tangential experience with deer taking advantage of mineral blocks originally intended for horses, the deer could care less if you bury it. The horse mineral blocks get rained on which leaches the salt and minerals into the surrounding ground. The deer then paw and lick up the dirt around the block, eventually creating a hole when the block is gone. My thoughts are that you could just dump your mix in a pile and the deer will slowly lick their way to the center.

My well established site was recharged recently with 250 pounds.....that should last a while!
evil.gif

[ QUOTE ]
the deer will slowly lick their way to the center.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like a tootsie roll pop?

one...

two who whooo...

thrrrree...

*crunch*

Three.

[ QUOTE ]
dosing escapes me at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let 'em self medicate.

I'd just pour it on the ground unless you wanna go to the trouble of digging a hole, moving the dirt to your laminar flow controled mixing room, dragging it back and refilling a hole the deer are gonna dig for ya anyway.

Your choice. Depends on how in love you are with a shovel.

The 'Bonker

Mixing soil with it is a way to duplicate a natural mineral lick. I'm not convinced that is necessary. Salt is water soluble, so the main reason to put it out in smaller quantities is to minimize leaching . The dical may stay, but it isn't very palatable. It is the most available source of phosporous unless you can find bone meal somewhere. The deer come for the salt.

To minimize leaching, try and locate your site in clay soil if it is available in your area.
waytogo.gif

In other words, a sandy creek bottom would be a poor choice.

I take it this do-it-yourself formula is similar to what you can buy pre made as in the deer cocaine and similar stuff.More economical by poundage I guess. Where do you purchase these ingrediants? Where did this formula come from?

Those ingredients can be purchased at your local Co-op or feed mill. Common livestock mineral and feed ingredients

Do you mix those ingrediants all together in those amounts? To get 250 lbs of minerals? Or is there a smaller formula for mixing?

I found this recipe on another site:

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
Printable version
Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

Thats the recipe I have seen.

I thoguth about useing a mortar/cement mixer and mixing it all at once and storing it in sealed plastic trash cans.

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
Once I made a cocoa butter aspirin suppository but that is another story.
yay.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Remind me never to have Pharmer mix me up any home remedies!!
grin.gif

We use :

#50 Di-Cal
#50 Stock Salt
#50 Trace Mineral Salt
#50 Green Fescue Mineral

Dump about 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket of this mixture on the ground and let the deer dig the hole. Like Ghost said ... try to keep the licks out of the sandy bottoms too ... clay is much better for them to chew than sand.

I would also stay away from the molasses, I'm sure the deer like it but I don't believe it is good for them. The salt will be enough to attract them unless you want to hunt over the licks in the fall ... which is not really legal in Iowa.

Top Bottom