Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mock Scrape Challenge

cdpurcell

Okay I have a request from everyone that make mock scrapes. Right now I am running two mock scrapes I made today and I am trying out two different types of scents code blue mock scrape and tinks power scrape. I am trying to find out what scent works the best that way I will be able to only buy what works.

I was wondering if anyone else would like to join this study and post their pictures to compare notes. I am planning on checking the two scrapes once a week and re-freshening the scrapes when I check them out. I am hoping the scrapes will be taken over by other bucks that way I don't have to re-freshen the scrapes after a couple weeks.

I am hoping those that choose to help will try different types of scents so we can get a bigger view of scents. This way we can see what works the best without spending a lot of money trying to do so.

So do I have any takers??

Last edited:
I am the KING of mock scrapes;). Actually they had been huge for me for the past 10 years. Thousands of photos and a few trophy bucks to boot.
1. Hawg Limited pre=post rut and Forehead Gland starting 2 weeks before Labor Day.
2. Licking branch most important key to success.
3. Drip bottles are great, but not untill now, when the temp is fluctuating between daylight and dark.
4. Mid Oct. start using some James Valley Wall hanger gel.
5. Hang on for the ride.

This system is tried and true. Dont make your licking branch over 5 ft high-you really want the deer to work hard to reach it but not too hard. When beginning to use a drip bottle, like Wildlife Research makes, 6-8 feet high is better to let it work the best.This system has worked for me in places where deer should not scrape--like my back yard in town 25 feet from my bedroom window:grin:.
NO FLASH cameras will show average activity NOW. In mid Oct you will start to see bucks and does work the scrape(PERFECT) more pee the better.The does will actually dominate the scrape area for about a week. Then the magic begins. Local buck have saturated the scrape and traveling Monarchs CAN NOT RESIST A SNIFF, often marking their new territory. A traveling buck caught on camera will usually be back soon. Whether it be the next few days consecutively or after his core area Does are serviced--he will be back. I have had several buck show themselves at mock scrapes year after year, and not showing up on any other cameras on the ridge.

Today I picked up a bottle of Power Scrape too, I will run it adjacent to existing Mocks but I will not put it on existing sites untill its proven. 16 ounces of synthetic pee doesn't come much cheaper.

A little trick. When long stem roses are shipped they have a plastic vial like a test tube on the bottom. Thes are great scent holders for synthetic pee. Rake an area free of debris, make a 1/2 " hole 4" deep in the cleared area and put these test tubes in the hole leaving the top rim just under the ground level. Fill tube with synthetic scent. Every time rain falls, more scent rises to the top like an oil slick and refreshes the scrape...

Best of luck and let me know if this helps. Please keep me posted on your succes, sounds like your off to a good start. Mike:drink1:

Hey Manning do you use rubber gloves and spray down with some form of no scent spray when you are making your mock scrapes?Also where have you found these mock scrapes to most effective on ridges leading to feed or in bedding areas or travel corridors to both.

Thanks
Antlerhunter

I opened a mock scrape on Friday and put a cam on it. I used Diet Mountain Dew diuretic mix to freshen it up. :D I will report results this weekend.:way:

sent dripper

how close do you guys put the cameras to the scape? and if ur using a scent dripper wat is the best scent to use inside of it and do u fill it all up, because i will not beable to check it for around two weeks

I have just scuffed the ground with my boot then tinkled in it and got some decent pics the last couple years! Made me decide it was ok to pee out of the stand after years of trying to hold it!!!

Antlerhunter, Latex gloves are a must and rubber boots complete the package. And yes, on location--kind of. Most are in the open where they can NOT be scent checked from the safety of thick timber. Yes they are run mostly after dark NOW, but when Mature bucks leave one hot doe in search of fresh meat;he will check these scrapes well within shooting hours.
I did forget to mention a cover scent--Hawg limited fore head gland has a sweet smeel that works great for cover and secondary attractant.

pmparks-try not to put camera too close. If possible stay off at a right angle from base of tree with scrape. It just seems to not bother the deer so much. If you have to use the same tree, I HIGHLY recommend a NO FLASH Infarred camera.
As far as drippers go Wildlife research have the right stuff.You can purchase a dripper and 4 oz bottle of active scrape for around $15. Active scrape has a very distinct smell, but it is pretty effective. Had several photos of a 170" 10 pointer working this setup on old logging road last fall. He began working scrape Oct 16 for 10 days straight, 10am-2pm all 10 days. Another a-hoo hunter screwed the whole setup for me on Oct 26----Another hunter thought as long as I wasnt in tree that he'd use my stand. Needless to say the wind was definatly wrong that day,his cigarette butts do leave a nasty smell that a 170" deer rockets from,and the s.o.b. had the balls to brag to me about what a great stand he used.. A-HOLE. And oh yea he asked me what was in the dripper 15 yards away--I told him BRUTT by Fabrge--I think he bought it-he he.
Anyway, Tinks power scrape is the cheapest at about a buck an ounce and its synthetic.... last longer than MT Dew peeeee. However, Im also a NATURAL REFRESHER---pee is pee, but penicilin is abnormal-be smart.
Only fill dripper 1/2-3/4 because the air inside need to heat up to force liquid out.@ weeks no problem.

I made 2 more mocks tonight one in a lone walnut tree 150 yards from the timber and one on the SE corner of a row of apple wild apple trees. The deer can not check these without showing themselves. Once they are in the open DECOYS are absolute KILLERS. Maybe you are starting to see some patterns here-unconventional sometimes works!!!!

Great info Manning. Now if you could only shoot one of those pigs you got on camera. :drink1: Kidding of course. This is your year and hopefully mine too...:drink2:

I am very glad I started this thread and all the info is awesome. Here is how I did mine not saying it works because I don't have any pictures to back it up yet. :)

I wear rain pants and rubber boats to keep my scent down as I am going to and from the set up.

I use an old hoe :) to pull back the leaves and grass to make the bare spot on the ground. Making it about two feet in diameter.

I use prime time licking branch scent for the over head branch. I look for dead branches because this is what I have noticed deer using.

I am using power scrape and code blue scrape for the two set ups I have out right now.

I think being completely scent free is the biggest key to all of this.

I will let you know how my set up works in a few days.

KEN, COWS DONT HELP ANY. Try to find a corner somewhere the cattle dont use or wait to see if they are moved out. Otherwise the danr things are just a flat butt nusience no matter what you do and they litterally MIGRATE to game cameras:mad:.
If the pasture is thick enough for deer to bed in then there is probably somewhere thick enough to make a mock, but I'd go stronger on the pee scent and less on the forehead gland to mininize couriosity from stupid cows and maximize pee only. Just my guess.. Good luck. M

I have a sweet mock scrape set up, freshened with my very own special mixture of water, cherry coke, and Moose Drool. We'll see what sort of dinks it brings in.

Mike.
I hunt a 540 acre pasture with about 3 miles of freak nasty creek winding through it.
Finding a place for an "open" setup without have the cows take it over will take some doing, but I like your setup.
Cattle will be coming out shortly but that kind of shoots the pre labor day thing in the butt.
I might try fencing them off with a few steal post and wire.
With digital I can handle a lot of "Cow" pictures if necessary.

Last edited:
I have experimented with a few different scents over the years, and hands down the best thing I've used is Buck Fever Synthetics. It is made up in Michigan and is in the process of changing ownership, but the product is supposed to be the same. I have had deer hit mock scrapes with this stuff from Sep to Feb. I only refreshen once a month or so. My secret is out...enjoy.

Hawg Limited is the same as Buck Fever Synthetics. Pre post rut, Rut Forehead Gland and Vanishing Hunter all their products. And Yes, Lisa bought compay from Kevin, I believe

My mock was not touched since 10-3, We had some major leave drop in that frame and it was covered completely. I refreshed and recleared on Sat AM 10-10.

Top Bottom