Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mowing Rye/Oats

bowhuntr311

IowaWhitetail Addict
So when should a person mow rye or oats off if you want to kill them?

Im thinking right before they start to head out would be ideal and after looking at my plots I dont think it will be much longer. Most of my oats are close to knee high.

I planted a 12ftx60ft with a clover/chicory mix and then threw down a some oats on top last fall about labor day. Deer kept the oats mowed down nicely. I had some clover and chicory coming up last fall. This spring now there isnt any in the plot to be found? Winter killed? I did the SAME thing about 40yards through the brush in a 30ftx70ft oval shape opening under some pretty heavy canopy. The oats are the same height as the other plot and I've got some clover coming in but not 1/5of what I should have for the amount of seed I put down. I think I probably had 30days from emergance to the first HARD killing frost. Was that not enough?

So when should a person mow rye or oats off if you want to kill them?

They are easier to kill closer to maturity so anytime now would probably be fine in your area...:way:

Top Bottom