Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzy not gettin it done

jamesfry

Shot a mature fawn for a first bow kill right behind the shoulder but didnt find blood for 100 yards and then lost it only conclusion my father and i could get was it hit muscle and then closed around my arrow there was 7 in of arrow broken off in the deer.
Aggravation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

indiana bow hunter

I agree with muddy, possibly a high shot? I wouldn't necessarily blame one lost deer on the broadhead, sounds like a pretty lame excuse. I've shot my last 4 deer with the cheapest broadheads walmart carries (haven't lost any in between either). The farthest any of them went was 200 yards, the other three went no further than 60 yards. Unless its a mechanical failure, any broadhead will bring a deer down with a well placed shot. Shot placement is key, if the shot was marginal, don't expect a perfect outcome. I mean no offense to you, just seems like a sorry excuse. Make sure you exhaust all efforts looking for that deer and if its gone, get back out there and hammer another one!

Muzzy's WORK, ya just gotta hit them where they do their best work. I had a marginal low shot this year and it did kill the deer as I found him 1 1/2 weeks later.. Until they come out with a heat seeking broadhead, aim small/miss small.. Good luck finding your deer..

It's all shot placement, I like muzzy haven't shot anything else. Sometimes this will happened if you hunt enough, but I wouldn't be blaming the head. And uhh what's a mature fawn?

I am guessing you hit it in the loin and missed lungs. Ive been shooting the old style Muzzy 3 blade 100 grains for 3 years now, haven't lost one yet (I hate to even type that)... if ya hit them the Muzzy will take em out!

sounds like you hit high. kill two mature does, 5 and 3 year old wednesday with muzzy mx3. the 3 year old went 35 yards and 5year old went 10 yards .

So! If you hit a deer thru the lungs with just about anything.......... they are dead!! Now lets have the lousy shot arguement for broadheads!!!!!! :confused: Now we would be talk'in good heads!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to hear ......RAGE!!!!!!:D:D:D:thrwrck:

Both deer I have shot this year I have shot with MX-3's. Both shots were complete pass-throughs, arrows sticking in the ground 6 or 8 inches. One of the shots was a 15 yard chip shot, deer went 25-30 yards and tipped over deader than a hammer. Other deer was about a 30 yard shot, deer went about 40 yards downhill before crashing.

Only thing I am a little bit concerned with is neither deer bled very much. I mean there were definitely blood trails, but they weren't great. Both deer were double-lunged. But at the same token, if you put the arrow in the pump station, you're not going to have much of a track job anyway...

Long story short, IMO muzzy broadheads get 'er done.

I hit a deer high a week ago its blood trail was easy to follow until a point but that for a 100 yards and i put this arrow seven inches in the body and one spot of blood on this deer though ?

indiana bow hunter

Muzzys work great - they are all I ever shoot.

Penetration can be a tuning issue - if your arrows are not flying true they will not penetrate well. A little flop in the arrow and it will divert energy sideways on contact - when they fly perfectly true all energy is transferred to the tip for maximum penetration.

Also, are you using new sharp heads? Any broadhead of any brand that has ever been shot at a target or animal needs to be resharpened or replaced before using hunting again.

I would check on your arrow flight or work on shot placement before I blamed the broadhead.

Muzzys work great - they are all I ever shoot.

Penetration can be a tuning issue - if your arrows are not flying true they will not penetrate well. A little flop in the arrow and it will divert energy sideways on contact - when they fly perfectly true all energy is transferred to the tip for maximum penetration.

Also, are you using new sharp heads? Any broadhead of any brand that has ever been shot at a target or animal needs to be resharpened or replaced before using hunting again.

I would check on your arrow flight or work on shot placement before I blamed the broadhead.

Couldn't agree more :way:

A muzzy in a fawn should be game over wherever you hit it haha. Mx3 are all I shoot last 3 bucks havent made it more than 50 yds. Dont leave as big of blood trail, but when you watch em drop dont need a blood trail!

I have killed dozens of animals with muzzy's without fail. You are either using dull blades, poorly tuned equipment, or making poor shots. There is just no other explanation, period. Best of luck figuring it out.

Top Bottom