Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My First Speed Goat

Oh yeah, forgot to add. They are the stinkiest most rotten smelling animals I have ever seen
smile.gif
It was hard to even take pictures when I was out of Breath, out of water, and had to smell him
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
I think I even dry heaved a couple times while gutting him. Man they are bad, but I didn't care. Luckfully I came prepared with rubber gloves so I didn't get any of that gland smell on my actual clothes.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Have you had a chance to grill any of the meat up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats Liv!
waytogo.gif
Let us know how "speed goat" tastes
grin.gif

I hear they don't taste good at all
grin.gif
I figure I will starve myself a few days until it tastes sort of edible
blush.gif
blush.gif

I had some in a restaurant in Colorado, it tasted pretty good. Maybe that was farm raised though?

Congrats LIV, sounds like you guys had some pretty good action and it is always sweet when things finally come together. May be something I will have to try in the next few years. Congrats again.

[ QUOTE ]
I hear they don't taste good at all
grin.gif
I figure I will starve myself a few days until it tastes sort of edible
blush.gif
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't pre-judge it on account of me, I'm just curious. The ones my Dad and I killed 30 some years ago we took to a huge processing plant in Casper WY. They had "goats" piled up outside which didn't impress me one bit and I was only 14!

I made my Mom cook it and no one would even stay in the house! She tried it in stews and you name it. I choked it down because "I killed it...I eat it".

I'm hoping they aren't really that bad
crazy.gif

The mulie I killed on the same hunt was yummy!
cool.gif

I will let you guys know what it tastes like. I'm not sure when it will be done from the butcher. The tags were 146 dollars total which includes the habitat fee. Not bad at all really. From Ames, it was exactly 600 miles and 8 and a half hour drive. If you ever go, get an idea of where you are going before you leave. Our whole first day was wasted driving around and not knowing where we could and couldn't hunt. We only hunted 2.5 days, if you had a week to hunt it would be alot easier.
grin.gif

I'm kinda surprised to hear everyone's horror stories about the flavor of the meat, becuase that certainly wasn't the experience I had with the one I got two years ago. He'd been hanging out in a hay field, rather than dining on sage brush, so maybe that had some effect. The backstraps were some of the best tasting meat I've had. I butchered it myself almost immediately, so maybe that was a factor too...

The one I shot also tasted great. The smell when your cooking it is "different" to put it mildly.
grin.gif
Try it, just don't think that because they smell bad, they taste bad.

Great story Liv, congrats on a great trophy. See any piebald goats out there?
grin.gif
Make it into "Goat jerky", your beer drinking college buddies will eat it if you put enough seasoning in it!
grin.gif

Way to go Mike!!!Not everyone can go goat hunting on public land with a bow having never done it before and be successful the first time out.You know how to get it done!
beerchug.gif

Top Bottom