Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My Iowa Hunt

zenhunter

Well Iowa is in the rear-view mirror now...

It was a good hunt, though I never did get a shooter buck anywhere near my stand (despite setting up one of the seven stands by a monster rub). Saw plenty of does and small bucks, and filled my doe tag with a nice fat one. She didn't go more than 25 yards, so I was pleased with the shot. Did an OK job at gutting my first whitetail, though it was kinda like reading about surgery and then trying to perform it.

My partner arrowed a nice 146-inch buck. It came up a hill between us and just veered toward his stand instead of mine. It was pretty exciting to watch the whole thing unfold -- to see the buck looking for the source of the grunting, see the hit and be able to watch exactly where the deer went into the timber and lay down, the white antlers doing that slow circle before dropping down behind some thorn bushes. All live, not on a video for once.

The weather didn't help I guess. Too hot at first (70s), then icy rain and wind. Never been in a skinny tree in a 30mph wind before...who needs a roller coaster ride after that!? My partner said all the standing corn didn't help either.

Overall, I think I went with overly high expectations. Had visions of "shopping" for the right buck. Whitetail hunting is definitely harder than it looks on all the videos. I guess 12 1/2 days in treestands is just paying your dues.

With Iowa being an every three year draw, I guess I'll have to go for round two somewhere else next year. But I really liked Iowa...the pork tenderloins, mmmm-mmmm. And the little old ladies coming up to us and saying "good luck, hope you kill a bunch of them!" was something I NEVER get to experience in California. Everyone was very nice. It did start to wear on me that I'd come draggin' in from being out in the cold and rain all day in a tree, and every store clerk, waitress, etc. would chirp "you oughta hunt my back porch, there's big bucks all over my yard."

Forget the fields and crops, next time I'm hunting back porches!

Well, thanks for letting me hunt your state. I'll think of Iowa when I'm eating my corn-fed doe during the holidays.

Neil

Big_rub1.jpg

My_doe_w_.jpg

Mike_s_Buck_w_.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never been in a skinny tree in a 30mph wind before...who needs a roller coaster ride after that!? </div></div>

I hear ya on that one! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Glad you had a great time and hopefully next time around you'll take a bigun home with you. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Wow, congrats on a succesful hunt man....that buck you buddy shot is one that not too many people would pass! WOW! Was that his first archery buck?

Zen:

Glad you enjoyed your time here. It is also nice to hear someone acknowledge that all the "Iowa hype" can and, in most cases, is overblown. Yeah, we have some world-class whitetails but I firmly believe it is a VERY delicate balance between what we have currently in herd quality and what the DNR and other parties could damage in a short amount of time. Hopefully you can enjoy this state again in the future if you choose to return.

Super 8 pt your partner put down.

Glad to see that you guys had some success and that you were treated with some great midwest hospitality. Congrats on your harvest

Kratz

zenhunter, I'm impressed and grateful to you for your thoughtfullness in making a post like this. I've never seen a non-residnet do such a thing. Very refreshing! Congrats on your successes. I think you got a very good taste of Iowa and people like you will always be welcome back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zenhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It did start to wear on me that I'd come draggin' in from being out in the cold and rain all day in a tree, and every store clerk, waitress, etc. would chirp "you oughta hunt my back porch, there's big bucks all over my yard."

Forget the fields and crops, next time I'm hunting back porches!
</div></div>

Everyone's a guide! That is so classic, can't tell you how many times I've heard that line myself. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Congrats on a successful hunt, next time perhaps you'll get a shot at the big boy. Thanks for the post, it was a great read.

Good post, not sure how I missed it.

Midwest hospitality, very tough to beat in my opinion. Congrats on the doe.

Top Bottom