Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My Iowa whitetail

zvholk

I had been hunting hard for 6 days, I was in the stand from 5:30 - 9:00 a.m. I would go back to the house to relax and have a bite to eat and I would be in the woods before 2:00 and sit until dark.
I had been seeing deer all week, but they were all young 8 pointers. I had told myself before the season started that if I wasn’t going to hang it on the wall I was not going to pull the string back.
Thursday came, I was going to take my new climber tree stand and venture out to a place I had not been to all week. It was a very long walk and not knowing exactly where I was going, I headed out at 12:00.
I walked over a mile in the heat, with climber on back. I was sweating my butt off walking in circles trying to find the right tree, but could not find any. I back tracked up the hill a little bit to a little funnel that leads down to the creek bottom. At 1:45 p.m. I finally got set up in a nice tree, although by this time my clothes were drenched with sweat (like when I get home from the gym and my wife tells me to go take a shower right away because I stink) I became pessimistic and felt that I would probably not have a deer come within site. At 3:30 a little 2 pointer walked by, an hour later the sun was starting to set, as I am sitting in my wet clothes starting to get cold. I wanted to get down but had to tuff it out. When dark set I lowered my bow to the ground, I was planning on returning in the morning so I left my rattling antlers and my bow hanger up in the tree, with the stand at the bottom of the tree ready for me in the morning.
The next morning the alarm went off a 4:45 a.m.; I woke up with a bad headache and all I wanted to do was stay in bed, but I got up anyway (you can’t kill a deer in bed). I got settled in the stand around 5:30 to watch the sun rise just as I did the six days before. As I sat there I said a little prayer to God asking that if he could provide me with that one glimpse of a trophy I would take care of the rest. At 6:30 I made 3 small grunts then started to rattle, 6:46 with my head and sinuses just pounding I made up my mind that if I didn’t see a deer before 8 I would go back to bed. I no more then got the words out and then saw antlers at 40 yards in the thicket. I made one small grunt. He turned and started my way. I only looked at his headgear long enough to see that he was bigger than the deer that I had been seeing all week. From then I concentrated on the placement of the arrow. As he is walking in I slowly rose to a half stand and half seated position as I drew my bow (he stopped in the 20 yard clearing just like it was meant to be). I touched the release to send the Rage tipped Easton St Excel on its way, with the lumenok I watched the arrow fly into the sweet spot. He took 10 steps stopped, started to sway back and forth; as if he wondered what had just happened. When he realized he had no air in him he took off on a slow run but only made it about 30 yards and stopped. Knowing that I had made the perfect shot I had my phone in hand to text my brothers and hunting buddy Brandon to tell them that I had a “Big Buck Down” before he was even on the ground. As I’m trying to type I hear the crash of him falling, I had a hard time with the message because I was shaking so bad. Believe it or not I was really calm until after the shot. My oldest brother quickly responded with a “need help? I’m on my way”. I made a call to my wife and kids to tell them what had just happened. I sat down for a minute, gathered up my gear, and lowered my bow. When I got to the ground I walked over to where I had made the shot to retrieve my arrow. There was no need to follow the blood trail because I knew where he was laying. As I get closer I see the antlers, and Boy-O-Boy I had no idea what kind a monster I had harvested, this was a good thing because I probably would have shot off his other G2.
Most people hunt a life time and never get a chance or even see a deer like this but I did it in my second year of bow hunting.
Lets have some fun, what would you say he scores the spread is 25 1/8. I will tell the green scores in I few days.

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

Great buck! Congrats! Looks like your son is into the celebration!!! :drink1: Lol

Last edited:
Congrats on an awesome buck.I have no guess as to its score but I will say it looks a whole lot better than it will score.Congrats again.

Awesome buck!! Skinny sent me a pick on the phone saturday but I didn't know who shot it until monday. Nice to see a local on this site.

Top Bottom