Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My weekend project (haybale Blind)

Great lookin blind. Been wantin to make one of these for a couple years, but never seem to find the time! Or supplies just laying around! How heavy is that with the 4x4 floor? Just wondering how portable it would be for one guy. Also, how did you hinge the door/windows?
Stickers, Its pretty heavy, I've got it set up with an I bolt so I can drag it around easily with a 4 wheeler. I have drug it by hand about 30yds just to reposition it but probably wouldn't go much further than that as it weighs approximately 150lbs. The windows and doors are hinged with heavy duty zip ties and secured tightly with bunge cords. I realize I'm probably going to need to replace the zip ties yearly but it was simple and worked really good!

Pete, thanks for the reply. Just couldn't see the hinges close enough. I would think the zip ties will last several seasons if not continuously being opened/shut. Did using the zip ties make it quiet too? Did you loose much of the straw mat due to moving it or wind blowing it off? That extra weight in the base should make it harder for the wind to blow it over!

Too bad it's not lighter...you could have a trap door in it with handles on the floor and move closer if the deer weren't where you wanted them! haha. I may have to scrounge up some old panels and materials for the frame this year. I've hunted from behind haybales before, but never inside one!

Pete, thanks for the reply. Just couldn't see the hinges close enough. I would think the zip ties will last several seasons if not continuously being opened/shut. Did using the zip ties make it quiet too? Did you loose much of the straw mat due to moving it or wind blowing it off? That extra weight in the base should make it harder for the wind to blow it over!

Too bad it's not lighter...you could have a trap door in it with handles on the floor and move closer if the deer weren't where you wanted them! haha. I may have to scrounge up some old panels and materials for the frame this year. I've hunted from behind haybales before, but never inside one!

When you get close to the blind you can tell that some of the straw matting has come loose and blown away. And I expected that probably just add another layer in a couple years as it is inexpensive. Yes the zip ties make it more quiet in my opinion.

Well after the weekend I have concluded that there must have been a heavy south wind in the last 3 weeks. My bale blind took about 150yd roll. It is unharmed however! May look at anchoring it down if I'm going to keep it on hilltops.

Guess the floor frame wasn't heavy enough to keep it from blowing! Man I bet that thing was movin when it went! Glad there wasn't any damage! Good to know it needs anchors tho. Wouldn't be much fun to be in it when it goes rolling!

Guess the floor frame wasn't heavy enough to keep it from blowing! Man I bet that thing was movin when it went! Glad there wasn't any damage! Good to know it needs anchors tho. Wouldn't be much fun to be in it when it goes rolling!

I was in it once in 50mph gusts this fall and I didn't think in a million years it would roll, but I was wrong. My first instinct when I didn't see it on the ridge was that it was stolen.

Love the blind! Can you imagine how you just messed someones mind up! "man it was so windy the other day I saw a 1200 lb round bale blowing around!" :eek::eek:

How big was the tarp? We were thinking about building one, also how did you fasten it to the frame?

I had A $5 giftcard at northern tool and waited until the 16 x 20' tarps went on sale for $9.99. That was.plenty big and actually had a lot leftover. I used fencing steeples to nail. the panel to the frame, don't mess with the cheap ones though get red brand steeples.

awesome blind looks like the real thing,and nice job with your pictures and helpin guys out with your answers. that idea will be used all over the state now!

Well after the weekend I have concluded that there must have been a heavy south wind in the last 3 weeks. My bale blind took about 150yd roll. It is unharmed however! May look at anchoring it down if I'm going to keep it on hilltops.

I was in it once in 50mph gusts this fall and I didn't think in a million years it would roll, but I was wrong. My first instinct when I didn't see it on the ridge was that it was stolen.

Love the blind! Can you imagine how you just messed someones mind up! "man it was so windy the other day I saw a 1200 lb round bale blowing around!" :eek::eek:

I was reminded of this conversation the other day when I saw a large round bale rolling in a hay field. It was rolling downhill, so I'm sure wind was not to blame. Guessing it rolled 70-80 yards. Good thing about square bales is they stay put. But, if you want to move the bales to the bottom of the hill, then round bales could save a little fuel getting them there!:D

Thats funny. My hay ground is hilltop and there are multiple casualties laying in the brush all around the bottom from years gone past. Hard to control I reckn

Top Bottom