Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Near death experience....?

letemwalk

Well, maybe not... but it was a good thing I still had a tight grip on my stand when this tree step broke at about 20' up during late muzzleloader season! Broke off right at the tree. Has anyone had this happen to them before? Needless to say, I disposed of the remaining 4 steps which I'd had for 15+ years.

5104DCP02451-med.JPG

i had one just like that one break 8 years ago .

it ripped the leg of my trousers, from mid calf to mid thigh1 lucky for me i just got asmall scrapr. I still use these some time but only on the lower steps. If you screw them in all the way so the bottom of the step touches the tree, there is no room for it to spring and break. I HOPE !!!

[ QUOTE ]
Broke off right at the tree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes!
bigshock.gif

my aluminium ladders are looking better/safer all the time...
smirk.gif

Same thing happen to me about 5 years ago, now I use ladder sticks all the time. The only problem I have with them now is low lifes really like them, and it has cost me some real money in the past few years.
mad.gif

Dangerous stuff! I have had steps break before, but since I switched to EZY-Climb steps I have not had any issues. A hunters steps should probably be replaced more often. I have some that I only use on the first floor.
grin.gif

I've had a couple of the collapsible type steps break on me. I thought the one piece wouldn't do that. I have to agree with you guys - ladder sticks are looking better and better, especially with all this beer weight I'm putting on!
grin.gif

I slipped this bow season while putting my stand up... It didnt break.. its just puttin up a stand while rainin isnt the smartest thing to do! I tore from my halfway down my stomach on the left side and all the way to the armpit! pretty much sucked.. but i recovered well.. and it didnt help my armpit during football season from the shoulder pads that have the strap that goes under the armpit.. but o well! lol but yea.. glad you didnt get hurt from it!

[ QUOTE ]
If I understand you, that step was in the tree for 15 years?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the confusion...I've had those particular steps for 15 years - they were only in that tree for about 1 month... I'm thinking the climing sticks are a better way to go too - have a couple of them and plan to add more!

[ QUOTE ]
Was the step screwed in so the heel rest against the tree?

[/ QUOTE ]

This tree had some lean to it so I could not get all steps to snug to the tree...but was within about 1" or so.

I have had many different types of steps break on me over the years, luckfully nothing has happened so far. Alot of the folding kind have broke on me, and also the EZ start treesteps tend to break after a few years. If I use steps anymore I use the ultra fat ones by Ameristep. Other than that, I don't trust them.
confused.gif

A guy that I muzzleloader hunt with had that happen to him a couple bow seasons ago. He fell nearly 10 feet onto his bow, breaking the quiver, and putting 3 broadheads into his inner thigh. He then, leg in a make-shift turnacate, walked a mile back to the truck and drove to the hospital. He has some problems gettin through the woods now so he posts quite a bit muzzleloader season. All I know is I hope I'm lucky enough to never have anything like that happen to me. I don't know if I could make it to the truck.

The only steps I've had break are home made ones. Welded lag bolt steps are very dangerous. I found out when I was a kid, cheap equipement is just that. Lucky I was only 5' off the ground.

I've used EZY rod screw in steps for around 20 years and never had one break. I've always made sure they are screwed tight to the tree so there is no unnecessary flex. I also take them out at the end of every season. If I get a step that has a slight stress bend, I toss it. Doesn't happen often though.

I think leaving equipment up year long is harder on it than most people think. I alway set two days aside every year just for hanging and pulling stands.

I've been using screw-ins since they came out. Several different brands of one piece a two piece folders. I weigh about 250 and have never broken one.
I do always make sure it is screwed in as far as it will go, if that leaves the heal away from the tree I wedge something under the heel to take the flex out of the stress concentration of the thread. Folders, I always check the rivet at the start of the year and watch for excessive looseness. For what it's worth rolled threads such as on the "Deer Me" are stronger than cut threads. This also means the shank is smaller dia. than the thread and lets it screw into the tree further and easier.. I have a few of the ones like you broke, and I guess the little welded gusset is a tip off that the steel is cheap as they had to gusset it to keep it from bending there. (Others don't) Deer-Me's are smaller dia and stronger, and with the rubber coated foot, don't grab my hand or glove near as bad as the knurled ones, while screwing them in..(I try and keep a piece of plastic pipe handy for screwing them in)
One of the guys who rifle hunts one of the same properties I do, uses a 2 piece folder that I would not trust for anything.. I think they still have a K-Mart sticker on them and the rivets are just too weak..
I guess I am trying to say there is some junk out there I would not use, but buy wisely use wisely and I doubt you'll have many problems.

Top Bottom