Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Necked cartidge bill returns HF 716

...and in the second paragraph of the Bill starting on Line #6...

the straight wall portion is crossed off...

Line #9a... A cartridge rifle may be used to hunt deer during youth and disabled deer hunting season and the first and second shotgun deer hunting seasons by a person who has a valid deer hunting license and is otherwise qualified to hunt

There is no mention of a pistol being the ONLY weapon allowed in the second paragraph... they either screwed up on the wording, or they did it intentionally
please see my description above.

Here is the link to the bill:

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=88&ba=hf716

In it you will see

b. A cartridge rifle that is allowed pursuant to this subsection shall be of the same caliber and use the same straight wall or other ammunition as is allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer as provided in subsection 5. In addition, the commission shall provide, by rule, for the use of straight wall or other ammunition under this subsection that meets ballistics specifications similar to the requirements for straight wall or other ammunition allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer as provided in subsection 5.

The second sentence is the critical one:

"In addition, the commission shall provide, by rule, for the use of straight wall or other ammunition under this subsection that meets ballistics specifications similar to the requirements for straight wall or other ammunition allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer as provided in subsection 5."

This enables/requires the NRC to establish a rule that limits the cartridges used in rifles to those that have "ballistic specifications similar" to those allowed to be used in pistols and revolvers in the preceding section (5) of the law.

So the STATUTE (law) REQUIRES the NRC to make a rule that LIMITS the ammunition that may be used in the rifles that will be "allowed" under Section 6 (those of the same caliber and using the same ammunition as allowed for pistols and revolvers in Section 5) to the same "ballistic specifications" (think "ballistic performance") as the ammunition used in those handguns.

You are NOT going to be allowed to hunt with the "high caliber ammo" even if you can find a handgun to shoot its cartridge. The cartridge fired from a rifle does NOT have "similar ballistics" as when fired from a handgun.

Hopefully this helps provide some clarification for you.
For complete transparency would you please list what cartridges and setups will be legal that were not (or unclear) previously.

Oh guys these ballistic “restrictions” he’s talking about is only that there needs to be a 500 ft lb muzzle energy or higher. There is no high end limit so it’s free range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to ATF rules isn’t an AR pistol just that, regardless of what’s on top? In other words, If your lower is purchased as a pistol lower, it will always be considered a pistol by rule. Unlike purchasing a rifle lower, you can not use a “short” Barreled upper.

If this is the case, then Nathan’s comment about pistol configurations goes out the window.

Oh guys these ballistic “restrictions” he’s talking about is only that there needs to be a 500 ft lb muzzle energy or higher. There is no high end limit so it’s free range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I’ve read this bill several times...
And I know exactly what it says and means...

I’m just trying to get Nathan to “clarify” with some examples of cartridges that can be used...crickets...
Nathan what is the biggest and smallest SAAMI cartridge allowed by this Bill?

I wonder if some of the people who voted for this Bill were mis-informed?

Been looking thru previous posts. This looks very concerning! Can some one please post in lamens terms the bullet points on this bill. Thanks!

How about...which legal cartridge has the shortest case length?
Longest case length?

Lowest case capacity in grains?
Highest case capacity in grains?

I'm still pondering as to why in the second paragraph of the bill the wording...STRAIGHT WALL... is crossed off?...
Hmmm... makes ya wonder.

I wonder which ammo/ gun manufacturer has a "new cartridge" hitting the market within a week of this bill getting signed into law?

And yes...within 5 years...make no mistake... there is good chance all rifle cartridges (.223 to .50 cal) will be legal to hunt with in Iowa...

Any one send a letter to the Govenor yet? in regards to NOT signing this Bill.

Longest case length?

I'm still pondering as to why in the second paragraph of the bill the wording...STRAIGHT WALL... is crossed off?...
Hmmm... makes ya wonder.

I wonder which ammo/ gun manufacturer has a "new cartridge" hitting the market within a week of this bill getting signed into law?

And yes...within 5 years...make no mistake... there is good chance all rifle cartridges (.223 to .50 cal) will be legal to hunt with in Iowa...

Any one send a letter to the Govenor yet? in regards to NOT signing this Bill.
I’ve been searching for the Governor’s email with no luck yet!

Longest case length?

This will be the last reply Im doing on this as we seem to be just going in circles, and nothing I say will change your minds or convince you. I've spelled out the intent of the bill and exact wording of the bill for you.

To answer your question on case length, i will refer you back to the statement in the bill...

b. A cartridge rifle that is allowed pursuant to this subsection shall be of the same caliber and use the same straight wall or other ammunition as is allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer as provided in subsection 5. In addition, the commission shall provide, by rule, for the use of straight wall or other ammunition under this subsection that meets ballistics specifications similar to the requirements for straight wall or other ammunition allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer as provided in subsection 5.

The second sentence is the critical one:

"In addition, the commission shall provide, by rule, for the use of straight wall or other ammunition under this subsection that meets ballistics specifications similar to the requirements for straight wall or other ammunition allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer as provided in subsection 5."

This requires the NRC to establish a rule that limits the cartridges used in rifles to those that have "ballistic specifications similar" to those allowed to be used in pistols and revolvers in the preceding section (5) of the law.

The NRC will establish rule's that prescribe , Lowest case capacity in grains & Highest case capacity in grains ENSURING that the rules meet ballistics specifications similar to the requirements for straight wall or other ammunition allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer as provided in subsection 5

In other words, the NRC will ensure (as required by law in this bill) that the rounds you are so afraid people are going to be using CANT be used.

So no, this isn't in the law, because the NRC is now required to ensure their RULES prohibit it. This ensure that any new cartridges that may or may not come out, can be quickly prohibited by the NRC (which can move faster than the legislator).

IN any case, I appreciate the dialog, and I am sorry that we don't see eye to eye on this bill. We are conservationist, hunters, and whitetail lovers just like you and we know this will have NO impact on the awesome heard we have hear in Iowa.

I'm bowing out now! Feel free to ping IFC if you have any further questions/comments/concerns.

OMG!!!!!! I was thinking the same thing last night!!!! They passed this the same way too!!!!...... sneaky, quick, in secret, ignoring public, totally one sided, dirty politics, etc etc. Just like Obama-care- we get to live with results while “their lives” aren’t impacted in negative way. Contempt for the people & short sighted bad legislation that damages “the system” it exists in. Good catch & ironic the parallels between this trash & Obama-care.

side note: as a lifetime NRA member.... I am really rethinking that if they are going to continue to stray from 2a issues & now get into hunting regs. The 2 don’t belong together. I will NEVER join IFC!!!! They have clearly demonstrated- not 2a organization.... they are into game & hunting laws now.... just because they want a little short term spike in the sagging gun sales. It’s slowed since Obama left office & this is one of many tricks they will use to get quick increases in gun sales.
The gun sales issue will never go away. It's not like a car that wears out. Guns basically last forever if cared for. It's a dynamic that will forever affect the hunting world, unfortunately. So like cellphones, they gotta find a way for people to buy the new shiny toy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've emailed the governors office and had family members voice their opinions as well. Hopefully with enough messages it will raise an eye brow. I'm just afraid its too late.

Top Bottom