Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Necked cartidge bill returns HF 716

You guys took a big blow....
Keep focused on new bills being introduced, Don't give up fight!!!!
Now is the time more than ever to work with your neighbors building deer habitat.

So they passed the bill and now are going to make up the rules?? Am I hearing this right.

You are reading that correctly. It is true of any bill that is passed. They all go through an administrative rules process. In the case of HF716 a public safety bill, the bill directs the NRC to establish rules for the law not the Public Safety Commission. Then, after the rules are made by a Commission they are reviewed once again by the Legislative Rules Review Committee. This committee exists to be sure the intent of the law as passed by the legislature is followed by the commission that makes the administrative rules. It is a check and balance system between the legislative branch and the executive branch of government.

In regards to HF716 the NRC could try and make rules to circumvent the "spirit" of the law and somehow try to make the law about the conservation and enhancement of deer instead of fostering their decline but the Legislative Rules Review Committee could/would rescind those rules.

Link to the Legislative Rules Review Committee: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/committees?CID=53

Edited to add link.

As I type this with my head in the toilet getting sick. I’m very curious in simple layman’s terms what exactly, or as far as we know so far is this new bill legalizing? Curious to have a better understanding of what is accurate compared to my own interpretation. Or maybe we don’t really know the exact details yet.

I sure hope his aspirations include the governor's mansion.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Sand
Might be our only hope.

I really like Sand. He seems to do a great job keeping things in check and uses common sense. He is also an avid hunter and supports conservation. If you follow the "bowhunters of iowa (iowa only)" facebook group you will see him post on their occasionally with harvest pics, stories, etc. He seems far from being liberal, not sure why he is a democrat or what beliefs he has that has him being a democrat. But I really like him, if you have followed him the past couple years he has really been a watchdog and done a lot of good putting a stop to some shady stuff in government.

I really like Sand. He seems to do a great job keeping things in check and uses common sense. He is also an avid hunter and supports conservation. If you follow the "bowhunters of iowa (iowa only)" facebook group you will see him post on their occasionally with harvest pics, stories, etc. He seems far from being liberal, not sure why he is a democrat or what beliefs he has that has him being a democrat. But I really like him, if you have followed him the past couple years he has really been a watchdog and done a lot of good putting a stop to some shady stuff in government.
I think you hit on something here... we need to elect politicians based on their beliefs and more importantly their actions regardless of party. Too many lately have sold out their ideals in the name of party loyalty. Everything being reduced to a binary choice is what pits everyone against one another. For example there is no reason we cannot find common ground on legislation that balances conservation of resources like public land and wildlife for the benefit of everyone. I am still optimistic that we can find our way once again but people have to stop listening to all the noise and find common sense again and realize that neither fox News nor nsmbc has your best interest in the news they provide. I am tired of seeing hard working people being taken advantage of and forced into party lines. Sorry for the rant.

I think you hit on something here... we need to elect politicians based on their beliefs and more importantly their actions regardless of party. Too many lately have sold out their ideals in the name of party loyalty. Everything being reduced to a binary choice is what pits everyone against one another. For example there is no reason we cannot find common ground on legislation that balances conservation of resources like public land and wildlife for the benefit of everyone. I am still optimistic that we can find our way once again but people have to stop listening to all the noise and find common sense again and realize that neither fox News nor nsmbc has your best interest in the news they provide. I am tired of seeing hard working people being taken advantage of and forced into party lines. Sorry for the rant.
Clearly I’m hard core CONSERVative. But... I gotta agree with some of this and above. The REPUBLICANS in iowa have been on the wrong side of a lot of conservation, hunting, outdoors, deer regs, etc. i know some good folks on both sides when it comes to the issues we talking about here. The good “R’s” & “D’s” need props when deserved & I’m glad most on Right are willing to call out garbage the R’s pull.

On another quick note.... a lot of the weapon & liberalization of season happens because these special interests have “buddies” & common interests with some in state senate & house. Example... u have a hard core “anything gun” guy with this Rep Matt windshildt guy in western iowa. Dad owned gun shop. He clearly has little to no understanding of hunting in iowa. He has deep knowledge of gun sales & firearms in general. Call him a “hard core gun guy”. Absolutely perfect guy for IFC & lobbyists to get with to get anything gun done. WHO do we have in the house & senate that’s a “hard core hunter” ???? NO ONE. We honestly need that. Folks like senator Celsi that understands our point of view. But- we need a hard core hunter & conservationist in house & senate!!!!

Clearly I’m hard core CONSERVative. But... I gotta agree with some of this and above. The REPUBLICANS in iowa have been on the wrong side of a lot of conservation, hunting, outdoors, deer regs, etc. i know some good folks on both sides when it comes to the issues we talking about here. The good “R’s” & “D’s” need props when deserved & I’m glad most on Right are willing to call out garbage the R’s pull.

On another quick note.... a lot of the weapon & liberalization of season happens because these special interests have “buddies” & common interests with some in state senate & house. Example... u have a hard core “anything gun” guy with this Rep Matt windshildt guy in western iowa. Dad owned gun shop. He clearly has little to no understanding of hunting in iowa. He has deep knowledge of gun sales & firearms in general. Call him a “hard core gun guy”. Absolutely perfect guy for IFC & lobbyists to get with to get anything gun done. WHO do we have in the house & senate that’s a “hard core hunter” ???? NO ONE. We honestly need that. Folks like senator Celsi that understands our point of view. But- we need a hard core hunter & conservationist in house & senate!!!!
Senator Sligh has a nice ring to it.

As I type this with my head in the toilet getting sick. I’m very curious in simple layman’s terms what exactly, or as far as we know so far is this new bill legalizing? Curious to have a better understanding of what is accurate compared to my own interpretation. Or maybe we don’t really know the exact details yet.
I wonder the same thing, what exactly just happened here?
Heck, I thought covid put an end to all this stuff for the year until I wandered down here the other day. My guard, like I'm sure many others was completely down

Any updates on what the DNR has made changes to in regards to this law?
As favorable as possible.... for now.

Straight wall language stayed in.

Case length at 1.8"

I don't totally get it as straight wall was crossed off from bill and it made no mention of case length.

Also, IFC stated straight wall was going away (see screenshot)

b0f540c150056f3ce4c665a0468bc8c1.jpg
da8691dfc698e1c01ee860044156c593.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The DNR info page ,and the 2 pasted comments contradict each other...
So the necked wall cartridges will be allowed?

The DNR info page ,and the 2 pasted comments contradict each other...
So the necked wall cartridges will be allowed?
That's my point. IFC was telling people the straight wall requirement was going away. That screenshot is from several weeks ago before the regs were published.

Clearly it did not go away (See regulations)

It appears to me that the IFC didn't get what they thought they were getting.

As favorable as possible.... for now.

Straight wall language stayed in.

Case length at 1.8"

I don't totally get it as straight wall was crossed off from bill and it made no mention of case length.

Also, IFC stated straight wall was going away (see screenshot)

b0f540c150056f3ce4c665a0468bc8c1.jpg
da8691dfc698e1c01ee860044156c593.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I know this is the current laws as printed in the reg book and maybe whats online as of now... But do we know if the NRC has actually decided on the new law/restrictions yet?
The pic you posted is the exact same as the previous year, it still says straight cased and .357 minimum... Im thinking that is subject to change without notice once the NRC has the final new restrictions ironed out. The DNR has left out very important rule/law changes in the printed regs in the past stating that they cant put every single law or detail in that small printed pamphlet stating its every hunters responsibility to know all the laws even when theyre hidden in Iowa code books or not printed in the free reg book. Im wondering if this is whats going on here as well... Maybe the powers at be in the DNR dont like the new changes so they purposely left it out to keep it on the down low as long as possible or maybe these books were already ordered or printed before the NRC decided what the new regs would be under the new bill or maybe they havent even made those decisions yet I dont know.... But the fact that there was a new bill passed and the reg book doesnt show any change leaves me to believe that the reg book doesnt reflect what the laws will be once the season actually opens

Last edited:
This link gets you to the NRC page on the DNR website. At the bottom of the page are links to pdfs of agendas and minutes. This topic has not yet been on an agenda. The agendas are posted (as far as I can tell) 7 days prior to the meeting. They meet every month. I highly doubt if any changes happen this year but there are 4 more meetings prior to the 2020 gun seasons. When it is on the agenda public comments are allowed either in person (zoom) or email/snail. I'm not clear if the rule changes need to be posted for three meetings before they are voted on as the license increase rule changes a few years ago were.

Link to agendas/minutes, scroll down: https://www.iowadnr.gov/about-dnr/boards-commissions/natural-resource-commission

This link gets you to the NRC page on the DNR website. At the bottom of the page are links to pdfs of agendas and minutes. This topic has not yet been on an agenda. The agendas are posted (as far as I can tell) 7 days prior to the meeting. They meet every month. I highly doubt if any changes happen this year but there are 4 more meetings prior to the 2020 gun seasons. When it is on the agenda public comments are allowed either in person (zoom) or email/snail. I'm not clear if the rule changes need to be posted for three meetings before they are voted on as the license increase rule changes a few years ago were.

Link to agendas/minutes, scroll down: https://www.iowadnr.gov/about-dnr/boards-commissions/natural-resource-commission
I guess I don't have a full grasp of how this works. So the legislature passed a law. But its not really a law until NRC talks about it? What if a person follows the legislature law but that doesn't match what is in print in the rule book. Can they be prosecuted? Obviously this is not streamlined which is no surprise since we are talking about the government.

Top Bottom