Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need seeding advice

Fishbonker

Life Member
After looking at the forcast for the next week I think it will be favorable to frost seed the bag of seeds I won last fall at the QDMA thingy.

To make a long story short, yeah like I could ever do that, I mowed, baled, sprayed, sprayed again, disced, plowed, disced again and smoothed my 1.2 acre plot last fall.

The temps on Wednsday morning next week are supposed to be in the 20s so I hope the ground will be frozen enough to walk on. I plan on renting a broadcast spreader and setting at its lowest spread rate and going over the ground several times in differnt patterns to equally distribute the fine and corse seeds.

I wanted to do it sooner but it was so dry I wanted some moisture first. Now that we have wet ground, is it too late to frost seed? If not does my plan sound about right? I have 42 pounds of wildlife attractant to spread. I figured a walk behind spreader would be about the easiest and most consistant way to do it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

The 'Bonker

Wildlife attractant? I thought you had a bag of native grasses?
Your plan sounds ok as long as the seed will flow through the spreader but your best bet would be to have some native maidens full of Maker's and empty on inhibition to "hand" walk the seed into your land. If you need more advice, let me know.

I would say it's now or never as far as the frost seeding goes. Just checked the forecast...not very much freezing, but if it's bare ground it won't take much. The seed just needs to make soil contact. Not sure about the "walk behind"
bigshock.gif
I like a shoulder/bag spreader a whole lot better...but sounds like you have it worked down like a golf course
grin.gif

I kinda like pharmers ideas too
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I like a shoulder/bag spreader a whole lot better

I kinda like pharmers ideas too
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My first choice would be a shoulder bag too, but I've spent way too much money on this project already so its gonna be cheaper for me to rent a spreader than buy a bag.

As far as pharmers suggestions, YEAH BABY!

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom