Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need Some Advice On a Couple of Things

SEIowaDeerslayer

1.) Masking Breath: I know human breath is a big contributer to deer detecting your presence, but I HATE wearing a mask over my face because they build up moisture from you exhaling and it makes my nose hurt. I'm also not a big fan of the scent gum either because they lose flavor and gets all crumbly. I've heard Doublemint gum is effective and deer don't mind the smell of mint. Any fact to this? If so I'm definitely going to be stocking up on Doublemint gum.

2.) I have a ladder stand with a hanging stand coming off of it up at my other hunting spot in Jones County. The brace broke when I was putting it up because the welding deteriorated. If I don't have the brace the ladder is really wobbly and feels unsafe to me. Is there anything anyone recommends that would be effective for a ladder stand brace? I'm going up there Friday to install hooks and my bow ropes on my stands so any info would be great appreciated on this!

as far as masking breath, i have tried the apple flavored gum before (not sure of the brand) and had deer down wind, they didnt smell me, and i cant attribute that specifically, but they didnt wind me....

i think with the gum, it keeps your breath from getting that rotton smell..... you know, the smell that you get when you havent eaten for several hours, and had coffee for breakffast???

i think the gum keeps your salivia going and that keeps you stank @$$ breath down....

jmo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as far as masking breath, i have tried the apple flavored gum before (not sure of the brand) and had deer down wind, they didnt smell me, and i cant attribute that specifically, but they didnt wind me....

i think with the gum, it keeps your breath from getting that rotton smell..... you know, the smell that you get when you havent eaten for several hours, and had coffee for breakffast???

i think the gum keeps your salivia going and that keeps you stank @$$ breath down....

jmo </div></div>

Yeah that breath sucks, that's why I try to eat and drink no coffee before I go out. Unfortunately, coffee is sometimes a necessity that early in the morning.

I'll give the apple gum a shot, thanks for the advice Thomas.

I have heard that actually eating an apple before you go to your stand can help with breath..

Never tried it though... Usually do the mouth spray or the apple gum...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gargle Coon urine. I hear its not to bad....good cover scent. </div></div>

Dor, you must be one tough SOB... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Dead down wind has a breath spray that doesn't taste all that bad.
$5 a pop and will last you all year

Like Bill says...hunt the wind and you shouldn't have to worry about it. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I have a few stands where I do have to be aggressive a few times a year and I think I will try the apple bite...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dor, you must be one 'sick' SOB... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

fixed it for ya

Brock, I think I have an extra brace if you want one. You can order online as well, most of them are universal.

For breath, all ideas above are good AND you can get BOTH scent removing tooth paste from DDW & I brush with baking soda. I also chew on cow manure if you have cows in your area- it's DELICIOUS and I feel better than coon urine from the taste tests I have seen plus it's higher in vitamins and minerals.

*You can have the bracket for free, with gas I'd buy one online though. If you did want it, let me know- I'll make sure I have it when I go down this weekend (pretty sure it's by my camper but possible my bro snatched it). Remember though, they are universal and I'd call or email all the ladder stand companies AND/OR go to the regular sports stores and online stores.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sligh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brock, I think I have an extra brace if you want one. You can order online as well, most of them are universal.

For breath, all ideas above are good AND you can get BOTH scent removing tooth paste from DDW & I brush with baking soda. I also chew on cow manure if you have cows in your area- it's DELICIOUS and I feel better than coon urine from the taste tests I have seen plus it's higher in vitamins and minerals.

*You can have the bracket for free, with gas I'd buy one online though. If you did want it, let me know- I'll make sure I have it when I go down this weekend (pretty sure it's by my camper but possible my bro snatched it). Remember though, they are universal and I'd call or email all the ladder stand companies AND/OR go to the regular sports stores and online stores. </div></div>

Thanks Skip, I'll be down there this weekend hunting opening weekend duck, may have to give you a call but I'll check online first.

Cow manure? You're joking right? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

The #1 cause for halitosis (bad breath) is not brushing your tongue. Bacteria build up and thrive in-between the papillae/tastebuds. The best thing to use is a tongue scraper. You will be amazed at the sick stuff that comes off of your tongue, especially in the morning. It is basically bacteria and bacteria waste that builds up over night while sleeping because the saliva flow is low while sleeping. Clean your tongue better and you will have fresher breath longer. Mix that with some of the natural flavored gum and that is about the best thing you can do. Also, stay away from garlic and onions. Those are about the worst things for bad breath.
For the broken brace you have, I assume it's the one that goes from midway up the ladder straight to the tree. Just take it to a fabricator or someone you know with a welder and it should be an extremely quick and easy fix.

I always have a mouth full of sunflower seeds. I have had deer walk under the stand and not even notice all the shells that I have spit on the ground. I will take a apple in from time to time also. After I finish it I will rub the core on branches around me before tossing to the ground.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hoytmossyoak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm with Timekiller. </div></div>

I'm with Timekiller too! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I do always pack a couple of apples with me. Not really for scent control, I just like'm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timekiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Copenhagen works for me.</div></div>

me too /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Even though it was SEVERAL posts ago I figure I should clear the air...
NO, I don't chew Manure..... Anymore /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
that stuff is more addictive than meth, I've been in and out of rehab for 4 years, clean of manure chewing for 231 days now!

Ok, i guess I've only gone as far as brushing with baking soda BUT I hear chewing manure is a real RUSH!!!

Top Bottom