Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Equipment

Mike72

Hey guys im new to the site and im looking for some helpful information. Im looking to get a new rest or new sites for my bow and was wondering which one to get put on first? The guy at gander told me to go with the rest but wanted to ask you guys?? Also which are good brands for the both?

IMO the rest is probably more important. There are a ton of options out there. My personal favorite, and i think there are quite a few guys on here who shoot one now too is the Phantom Drop Away by Top gun. It is quite easy to use and gives you almost a full arrow hold so you don't have to worry about the arrow falling off or anything!

Muzzy Zero Effect Rest
waytogo.gif

Trophy ridge dropzone, or trophy taker for me. There is a million great rests out there though
smile.gif

I would recommend you put on your rest first.

I recommend a good drop away rest. I personally shoot a Trophy Taker, but there are several quality rests out there.

Welcome Relex!

You asked about two pieces of archery gear that you may just get 20 different answers on. I along with a lot of my buddies shoot a Limbdriver made by Vaportrail and have nothing but good things to say about them.

But maybe all of us can help you narrow something down. Are you looking for a fall away, fixed prong style or a full containment style of rest? Also if I may ask, what is your price range? Those two questions might narrow everything down a lot.

well i shot my buddies bow the same as mine and he had a drop away and i loved it and thats what im looking at getting i went to gander and the guy said he would put it on for ten extra but i had to do all the setting my self and personilty i have no idea?? my price range is 40-60 i was looking at a cobra that was 45 but like i said i have no clue about settings

[ QUOTE ]
the guy said he would put it on for ten extra but i had to do all the setting my self

[/ QUOTE ]

My advice would be to go to a good ProShop and get a rest from them. They should install it for free as well as let you shoot and get it all set up properly before you leave. Will be much cheaper for you in the long run. My guess is you won't have to pay any more and the service and set-up you get will be priceless.

[ QUOTE ]
well i shot my buddies bow the same as mine and he had a drop away and i loved it and thats what im looking at getting i went to gander and the guy said he would put it on for ten extra but i had to do all the setting my self and personilty i have no idea?? my price range is 40-60 i was looking at a cobra that was 45 but like i said i have no clue about settings

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion and I only say this because of my experiences, don't get your bow work done at Gander. For $10, you can easily put that rest on if they are still going to make you adjust it after the fact! 2 bolts and it's on in most cases. Setting center shot, possibly peep height and paper tuning/walk back tuning might be a bit much if your new to archery.

My suggestion to you is to go to a pro shop and get it done right the 1st time. It may cost you a few extra bucks, but believe me it's well worth it to know that it's done....and done right. You are less than an hour from Double A Archery over in Waterloo. I would PM Doubleaarchery on here and see what he has in your price range. He'll get you setup right!

As to a fall away in your price range, I would take a look at a Trophy Taker. A lot of them are being shot out there and I haven't heard many negative reviews on them.

Good luck!

i called scheels in coralville and they said a trophy taker for 54.99 and they will put it on for free and let me shoot. but my main concern from the guy at gander mountain said you have to do all the setting yourself and i know nothing about that then the guy at scheels said all set up should be the same but any helpful hits for set up?

Reflex

We have Phantoms and Trophy takers in stock!

Bring it up any evening or on Saturday and we will have it set up for you! We tune everything in with lasers and levels, and we will have you shooting bullet holes in no time!

Send me a PM if your interested!

[ QUOTE ]
i called scheels in coralville and they said a trophy taker for 54.99 and they will put it on for free and let me shoot. but my main concern from the guy at gander mountain said you have to do all the setting yourself and i know nothing about that then the guy at scheels said all set up should be the same but any helpful hits for set up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reflex,

By taking your bow to a pro shop and having them set it up and tuning your bow with that rest on....There is nothing else that you need to do for setup on your end. They should have you all dialed in and ready to hit the practice range when they are done. Hopefully that answers your question.

Also the benefit of taking it to a pro shop, is that they can give your bow a good once over to check for anything like might be loose or deteriorating(strings, cables, limbs, cams, etc..). Bring some arrows along with and I'm sure whatever pro shop will give you some time at their range for some fine tuning that may need to be done.

Top Bottom