Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New project

huntdoc

Farmer where I hunt offered a spot of about 1 acre that is low ground, only gets 4-5 hours of sun, so no good crops. It is not underwater, just stays wet. He said I can put in a food plot as long as "trees don't take over". I don't have tilling equipment but it is in his field so it can be turned over. Currently in bean stubble. SUggestions on what to plant? Thinking clover for most with room for Brassicas in Fall. Modest deer density, agricultural area with scattered wood lots, including one next to plot. SHould I frost seed this winter, or now? Once crops go in, it will only be acessible by foot.
Thanks for suggestions.

[ QUOTE ]
SHould I frost seed this winter, or now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a ready made spot to frost seed clover. Frost seed in late winter though...not now. Feb/March when ground is freezing at night thawing in the day.

I would check with the farmer...if he's going to be putting lime on next years soybean ground...have him make a pass thru there while he's at it.

Either way I would check the PH.

You can spray weeds with a backpack sprayer if need be next year. Clipping it might be hassle...hopefully the deer will do it for you.

Of course there's always the "weedwhacker"
grin.gif

Top Bottom