Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

No clue what to do

Gladiator

PMA Member
I am new to this area of the forum on whitetail management and I have this pretty good farm that I have exclusive rights to in which I killed my first good buck on this year. I saw (and practiced QDM) a lot of 120" deer that were 'not quite there' yet.

What would all of you recommend for a food plot on this farm? I would be looking at about 1/2 acre to 1 acre of planting. Should I do some biologic for the fall?? Or do you try to do some protein or something in the spring for antler growth? Or is 1/2 acre even worth doing??

There is a ton of acorns in the forest with hardly any corn or beans around for them to feed off of, but they definitely know they are safe on this farm.

Thanks for the help!

[ QUOTE ]
is 1/2 acre even worth doing??

[/ QUOTE ]

A 1/2 plot is not going to change antler growth but it can be stratigically placed to be a draw during hunting season.

Acorns are pretty hard to compete with but something "green" will be hard to resist.

What is the time period you want to focus on during hunting season?

Clover works well early but dies back late in the season.

Brassicas can last until Jan.

Rye and wheat will last all season but could be grazed to the ground early on if there is no other crop/food sources nearby.

Just some possibles but maybe others in your situation will chime in
cool.gif

I guess you need to ask yourself what you want to accomplish. Green brows maybe just what they need to encourage maximum potential. Winter forage often provides the later season hunting action, you may not need that. I am pretty new at all of this as well. This year I intend to plant winter rye as a nurse crop for a clover plot. This I expect to give me some late season draw the first year and provide a spring, summer and early fall nutrient source and early season hunting for several years. I have several other things in mind but we’ll have to wait and see how much gets completed.

[ QUOTE ]
Green brows maybe just what they need to encourage maximum potential. Winter forage often provides the later season hunting action, you may not need that.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are green brows and what time of year do you plant them?

Are they for antler growth, or just another food source? or both?

Sorry to be a Newbie on this but I really appreciate all the help. I'm in contact with the landowner and want to maximize things for him as well (i.e.-keep the deer off his saplings!) A happy landowner is a happy hunter!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Green brows maybe just what they need to encourage maximum potential. Winter forage often provides the later season hunting action, you may not need that.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are green brows and what time of year do you plant them?

Are they for antler growth, or just another food source? or both?

Sorry to be a Newbie on this but I really appreciate all the help. I'm in contact with the landowner and want to maximize things for him as well (i.e.-keep the deer off his saplings!) A happy landowner is a happy hunter!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's just a typo
grin.gif

Green browse...meaning all the aformentioned items.

Other types would be "grains" like corn or beans but they aren't going to work in such a small plot.

If your just going to do an acre, might I suggest a winter pea/winter wheat mix plot. It is a good combo and deer really love those peas, and the wheat. My family and myself do alot of food plots every year, with all of them being different, trying to see what deer like or dislike. So far, we haven't seen a deer turn down some peas or wheat. Then there's acorns. You will never compete with natural food source, but you may convince an old buck to walk through and graze for a minute on his way to feed on acorns, thus the joy of the plot. Deer may not use it steadily, but will move through and pic and graze here and there.

On small plots I like to drill 50# winter wheat/50# rye/40# Austrian winter peas per acre. This will make a great hunting plot in the fall that can stand heavy grazing pressure and an early green up plot in the spring when deer really need it. If you let the plot mature, you can usually disk this mix up in August and get a second year for free.

1/2 acre to 1 acre.

Depends what you want to accomplish with it. First of all antler growth is not going to be affected by a 1acre plot. With out any other corn or beans around I would not plant that becuase the deer will destroy it long before deer season.
Clover is a good all year crop however as stated before it dies off after a good frost or two. Long before good hunting. I would try to suggest if planting any trails or general areas with clover. Try a mowing and using a ATV with a drag. Clover doesnt need a lot to grow.

Wheat/Rye are usually hit hardest when planted in the end of summer and it is just starting to come up. The first 2inchs. The deer will hit this hard and probly keep it mowed right to the dirt with only an acre. I have had simialer results with winter peas.

Brassicas usually wont be fed on until after several hard frosts and most stuff is dieing off. Sometimes can be pretty late in the year.

Dean

Top Bottom