Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non resident restrictions

pscm

I am hoping to get some thoughts from the general population on available archery tags given out for non-residents.

I was born and raised in Iowa and still have family in the state. As life goes, married someone and finally ended up in Maine near my wifes family. Up until this year I would come back annually to archery hunt with my brother who lives in Albia. Typically I would get a buck tag every 3 years or so and on the years I didn't I would get a doe tag on years not picked. I certainly can appreciate how the state does a good job in managing the deer population and only wish Maine could figure it out. Because of the change in the laws I will now only be hunting once every few years as the state stopped issuing archery tags for doe only. I spoke with the DNR and the thought process was that they are only issuing doe permits for guns only to try and control the doe population by increasing the percentages with use of guns. I don't understand this logic. Why not issue more tags and limit some to archery only and adjust as the population changes. This would also bring more money to the state? I will admit that I am somewhat P-offed as I really enjoy coming home to visit the family and share in the hunting activities. I guess I will have to change seasons and come back for the river fishing.

Any thoughts?

One of the deals where the actions of a few ruin it for the many.

Bottom line for this rule change.

Nonresident antlerless bow tags = poached bucks.

There was a good informational thread on this topic when this law was changed. And if you want a residents opinion on the subject, myself and every resident bow hunter I know thaught it was the smartest thing the IA DNR has done in a while.

I think the main reason is alot of guys would misuse the doe tags and shoot bucks during the archery season. I think that is all it really is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LIV4RUT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the main reason is alot of guys would misuse the doe tags and shoot bucks during the archery season. I think that is all it really is. </div></div>

Something that was being terribly abused and of course that means honest hunters get the short end.

Kinda the way it is with a lot of laws I think... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Move back to Iowa
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>
thumbsup.gif

The archery NR antlerless only (not the one that is part of the NR any sex combination) success rate was so low, compared to any other tag, that the DNR folks figured they were being used to “get in the door” by a few unscrupulous NR tag holders who would then be able to plausibly deny their intentions to poach a buck if stopped by a CO.

The 'Bonker

I am from SoDak, and have applied for buck tags for a couple years...didn't get it, but could get doe tag. So I did, and payed the $240 to get it....twice......and I didn't fill either of them-didn't get enough time in the stand...scouting, etc. So, for me I have donated about $500 to the state of Iowa and have taken nothing in return.....and I am ok with this. In my few hunts in Iowa, I have seen the stupidity and care free attitude of poachers (and these were Iowa residents).

Please explain how not offering tags to non-residents is going to keep poachers out. If someone is bound and determined to get a big buck from Iowa, they will do it with or without a doe tag, wont they?

Unfortunately, it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch, because I only bow hunt....never rifled, shotgunned or black powdered. Only care about the bow.

Either way, I will continue to apply. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I find it refreshing to find some non residents that understand what we, as residents, try to protect. Good luck in your next draw and good luck trying to put a big boy in the dirt.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I find it interesting to see answers from both ends of the Spectrum. I like Morph have no interest in anything but archery.

Last year hunting with a doe tag I had the thrill of watching a 150 class tending a doe and then a much smaller 8 point come out to make things exciting. I didn't shoot the doe and certainly not the bucks. These experiences are what it is about. Putting meat in the freezer is secondary.

The thing that amazes me is how anyone would consider poaching if the knew of the potential penalties imposed in Iowa. I have a family and a house and have no interest in jeaprodizing this for a deer.

I know in an interview with a group from Louisiana that got caught, the guy said he could not resist the temptation.

I never knew this about doe tags but of course I never bother as I have enough does where I am at but I understand where you are coming from. That's the way it goes I guess. I can fling an arrow to Iowa from my treestand but I doubt I'll get another NR any deer tag for the following reasons:

#1: My area has good bucks. No need to go across the river to shoot one. In the last five years me and two buddies have knocked down a 152", 162", 216", 148", 180", 136", 133".

#2: I find filling two tags with good bucks very difficult. Only Limb can do that!

#3: Too expensive. Last Iowa tag cost me $482. I have seven deer tags in my bag (one any deer and three double doe) that cost me $105.

#4: I love waterfowl hunting. If I tag out early I can focus on shooting greenies.

#5: Contrary to popular belief there is not a booner around every tree. Matter of fact I have never seen a booner in my three trips across the river.

#6: If I tag early in SD and really want to keep bowhunting I can go across the river to the south and hunt my homestate of Nebraska for around $175 OTC.

Top Bottom