Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nonresident Landowners, check out this website.

Re: Nonresident Landowners, check out this website

I look at it this way, and it is definitely an odd analogy. Pike County, Illinois is a good example...in that the area is heavily advertised. I had a few buddies hook up with an outfitter there last year just to see what the hype was and it sucked...but maybe that was a coincidence.

Places get good for a reason, like a good pheasant hunting spot. One person gets lucky and gets on the ground with permission from the farmer. He has success and tells his buddies. Soon everyone is hunting up there and the place goes to crap.

Look at this on a larger scale, the whole state of Iowa being the large pheasant hotspot. We start letting everyone in, the place is going to go to crap. People will move on, and then the process will have to start itself all over again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lets start a list of hunters on this site willing to kill does only</div></div>

Add me to this list /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Many humans do turn the wilds to "Crap". I have been to truly wild places, where few humans go. Less litter,,less noise,,wildlife are easier to see,air is fresher. We humans tend to ruin good things. This is difficult to stop however. More humans move in everywhere. I am just glad I was born when I was. Is selfish to say. I feel sorry for future genrations, who dream of wild places,,and quality hunting.

I've been killing does only for the last 5 years. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

This whole thing is a very sad commentary for me. I know that many on here are really passionate about deer hunting, both residents and nonresidents. What I find sad is that so much of our passion is wrapped around the size and shape of a deer's antlers or whether there even are antlers. If bucks had no antlers during the hunting season would we have these same discussions and would NR land owners still pay outlandish prices for rough hunting ground that they have a hard time even getting it to produce adequate small food plots? How many hunters would hunt deer just for the enjoyment of hunting and harvesting meat for the freezer like it was before we started this crazy race to kill the buck with the biggest or the most misshapen horns? Why are so many so driven to kill anything with horns every year whether it is bigger or smaller than those they killed last year or the one before, just as long as it is "DECENT"? If it is "DECENT" it has to be so much better than killing "just a doe". Sorry this isn't going the way I intended so I will quit lecturing.

This whole discussion will probably be worthless in a few years any way if the current hunting trends continue. Our deer are not increasing in numbers any longer and have actually gone down considerably. If you compare the harvest numbers and the correlating population numbers over the last 4 years you will see that from a high harvest of 211,000 in 2005 we fell to 146,000 in 2007 for a 31% decrease in only a couple of years. If we and the DNR and Farm Bureau continue with the current population reduction mania based on the "gotta kill more does" mantra what will happen over the next 5 years? When we get the population down to the stated goal of 1980 levels and every one has to draw for a single tag to try to kill one of the 125,000 remaining deer in the state there won't be nearly as much competition, and deer hunting land won't be selling for $3000 an acre and leasing and outfitters will only be a bad memory. The unfortunate byproduct of this is that being able to hunt deer from Oct 1 to the end of January, and kids getting their own season and being able to learn to hunt the right way will also be just a memory as well.

Bottom line for me is lets figure it out while we still can. NR Landowners stop you're pissing and moaning and trying to change rules and laws, that you were well aware of, just to serve your own agendas. Accept that those rules are what created the hunting climate that drew you here in the first place and work with with rather than against all your Iowa neighbors. Residents stop your persecution of the NR hunters and landowners. Rather than complaining about them, get off your butts and find out who they are and try to get to know them. I hear so many of you talk about helping farmers with work or chores or just thoughtful gifts to gain and retain permission to hunt. Why should you treat a NR any differently? You can pretty easily find out who they are and how to contact them, and who know they might be just like you and would welcome a two sided relationship with open arms. It may not be long until relatives and friends will be the only way for an average guy to gain permission to hunt, it kind of is already, without spending a ton of money for leasing rights. The current situation with gas prices is quickly eroding discretionary income and that will only get worse, so if that extra $1500 you had last year for a lease now becomes the extra $125.00 a month for gas just to get to work, where are you going to hunt?

United we stand and divided we fall and comments from NR, like we will just come there and kill multiple bucks party hunting because we don't care, or by residents like if you don't like it sell us your land or move here, only divide us. The subject was different but the rhetoric was very similar between the North and the South just before the Civil War and we all now how that turned out, both side lost!!

Folks,

Wow, I missed a lot on this thread the last few days! There are some great comments... and some not-so-great comments - I doubt if folks from anti-hunting organizations like PETA are this hard on non-resident deer hunters!

The following is some rambling on my part to try to address some of the constructive comments...

Exactly 19% (i.e., "roughly 1/5") of agricultural land in Iowa is owned by non-residents - this figure is from an Iowa State University publication and not made up by me. I did guess that if 19% of ag land is owned by NR, then NR likely own around 20% of all rural Iowa land and that if this is true, than it must also be true that around 20% of the state's deer herd resides on land owned by a NR. Most of this land was purchased for investment purposes related to farming or development and very little of it was purchased for deer hunting.

Iowa has a great deer herd, but it USED TO BE BETTER two decades ago, at least in some respects. Iowa led the nation in number of B&C entries on a per acre basis during the mid 1980's & early 1990's (B&C entries are a good measure of Iowa's MATURE buck harvest). Now, Iowa ranks 5th, heads & shoulders below a state that many of you chastise for their deer management... Illinois. During Iowa's "heyday," the ratio of B&C bucks harvested per total buck harvest was much better than it is today (Iowa's B&C entries have remained relatively unchanged since the early 1990's, while the overall buck harvest has dramatically increased).

When Iowa does further liberalize the number of NR deer tags allotted, most of you will hardly notice a difference. Iowa will not become over-run with a NR behind every tree as some of you would like all of us to believe. What is my proof of this? Iowa has not changed the number of any-sex tags issued to NR's for several years, yet rural land prices have made RECORD jumps during these same years. This is because rural land prices in Iowa are driven by the farm market, not by number of B&C entries. The world will not end as you know it if more NR's are allowed more deer tags!

Pike County, Illinois sure gets a LOT of press on this site - you would never know that there were 70 or 80 other counties in Illinois where B&C whitetails are being tagged in record numbers each year despite dramatic increases in NR deer tags issued.

Despite what any of us do or don't do, the "value" for access to ground where older-aged bucks tread will ONLY INCREASE in the future. If Iowa stopped issuing NR tags altogether tomorrow, this value would continue to increase, at nearly the same pace. Why? Because Iowa loses thousands upon thousands of acres of rural land each year to development and as the saying goes... they are not making any more land. Therefore, as the "supply" of older-aged bucks decreases (due to land conversion), the "demand" can only increase!

Free hunting privileges on another person's private property is not a birth rite! Future generations of Iowans will have to pay to hunt private land not owned by themselves or their relatives. This gradual change is going to take decades but I guarantee it will happen despite what anyone does or does not do on this website. The reason was given in the paragraph above.

Best to all of you!

Nut'n I enjoy more than having a Texan explain how and why things will work out for us in Iowa...

I suppose we'll also gradually be hunting under feeders, behind fences and charging $12,000 to $25,000 for a B&C to?

How about we just save the convincing for when it's gonna matter...

Yep........ Back on page 9.... nanny asked a question requiring just a "yes" or "no" answer. I was wondering about that myself?

Mr. Orion, Your making this argument for the money.... Period.

OrionWhitetails said:
Folks,

Wow, I missed a lot on this thread the last few days! There are some great comments... and some not-so-great comments - I doubt if folks from anti-hunting organizations like PETA are this hard on non-resident deer hunters!

The following is some rambling on my part to try to address some of the constructive comments...

Exactly 19% (i.e., "roughly 1/5") of agricultural land in Iowa is owned by non-residents - this figure is from an Iowa State University publication and not made up by me. I did guess that if 19% of ag land is owned by NR, then NR likely own around 20% of all rural Iowa land and that if this is true, than it must also be true that around 20% of the state's deer herd resides on land owned by a NR. Most of this land was purchased for investment purposes related to farming or development and very little of it was purchased for deer hunting.

Iowa has a great deer herd, but it USED TO BE BETTER two decades ago, at least in some respects. Iowa led the nation in number of B&C entries on a per acre basis during the mid 1980's & early 1990's (B&C entries are a good measure of Iowa's MATURE buck harvest). Now, Iowa ranks 5th, heads & shoulders below a state that many of you chastise for their deer management... Illinois. During Iowa's "heyday," the ratio of B&C bucks harvested per total buck harvest was much better than it is today (Iowa's B&C entries have remained relatively unchanged since the early 1990's, while the overall buck harvest has dramatically increased).

When Iowa does further liberalize the number of NR deer tags allotted, most of you will hardly notice a difference. Iowa will not become over-run with a NR behind every tree as some of you would like all of us to believe. What is my proof of this? Iowa has not changed the number of any-sex tags issued to NR's for several years, yet rural land prices have made RECORD jumps during these same years. This is because rural land prices in Iowa are driven by the farm market, not by number of B&C entries. The world will not end as you know it if more NR's are allowed more deer tags!

Pike County, Illinois sure gets a LOT of press on this site - you would never know that there were 70 or 80 other counties in Illinois where B&C whitetails are being tagged in record numbers each year despite dramatic increases in NR deer tags issued.

Despite what any of us do or don't do, the "value" for access to ground where older-aged bucks tread will ONLY INCREASE in the future. If Iowa stopped issuing NR tags altogether tomorrow, this value would continue to increase, at nearly the same pace. Why? Because Iowa loses thousands upon thousands of acres of rural land each year to development and as the saying goes... they are not making any more land. Therefore, as the "supply" of older-aged bucks decreases (due to land conversion), the "demand" can only increase!

Free hunting privileges on another person's private property is not a birth rite! Future generations of Iowans will have to pay to hunt private land not owned by themselves or their relatives. This gradual change is going to take decades but I guarantee it will happen despite what anyone does or does not do on this website. The reason was given in the paragraph above.

Best to all of you! [/quo

Many Many. Pope and Young and B&C go unreported just for the simple reason that people look at the number one producing B&C state and swarm there. I like many folks have several P&Y bucks, No booners yet, unrecorded just for this reason. No need to advertise this state any more.

Mickey,

Most hunters don't give a rat's ass to see their name in a stupid record book.

And, if the number of B & C entries are what make an area a great place to hunt, you obviously haven't talked to lots and lots of local hunters living in certain famous Illinois counties that now don't have a place to hunt.

Why have they lost access to hunting ground? It's simple...liberal NR tag availability, and large outfitters feeding the NR demand.

You don't even have to respond to this, but why do you even care?

You can't tell me you don't have several family members already feeding you resident "party hunting" buck tags each and every year. You are already buck hunting Iowa each year.

I smell a big stink of pure Greed!

Have a good day. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Free hunting privileges on another person's private property is not a birth rite! Future generations of Iowans will have to pay to hunt private land not owned by themselves or their relatives. This gradual change is going to take decades but I guarantee it will happen despite what anyone does or does not do on this website </div></div>

you are most certainly correct on that. BUT, if we, as iowans, ban together, we can "keep the wolves" at bay for as long as possible. just because pay to hunt is where the sport is headed, that is no reason to rush into it. the more years that we battle to keep our system the same, is one more year future generations get to live the good life

just another reason to join the IBA

Believe it or not I was the second view on this thread and I kept my mouth shut. I've seen nothing that would classify that site as a "Friend of Iowa" and nothing but selfish arguments for changing the law. To give equal time though, I have seen plenty of resident comments that sure seem like they just want to hunt for free and sponge off someone else.

I got a kick out of your name change and avatar 180. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif Found another you might be interested in also...

images.jpg

This may be an ignorant question , but here goes. If Illinois and other states have more b & c bucks and nothing but good from liberalized nr tags , why not buy land there instead of IA ?
Nobody is flocking to northwest IA to buy hunting ground so I don't have a whole lot at stake in this. I will say I don't know of a single NR land owner in my area , but the they are still asking over 3000 an acre and in some circumstances much more for recreational property up here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You got a kid that doesn't have a place to hunt, please send me a personal message on this site, and I will do my best to take them on a hunt or connect them with a place to hunt.

I also challenge "Friends of Iowa" to do the same....now, wouldn't that be worth spending time and money on?
</div></div>

Awesome idea!!

OK. I'll see ya one kid, and raise ya 'another. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Anyone else in? FOI Guys?

I have no problem with someone trying to make life better for themselves or even benefitting financially but I do have a problem with hidden agendas with deceitful intentions. So Mickey, we are still waiting...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another question Mickey, and tell me man to man, if the non-resident quota is lifted, are you going to benefit from it through guiding? NO BS man up and say yes or no. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I smell a big stink of pure Greed!</div></div>
Kent, I couldn't say it better myself

Top Bottom