Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nonresident Landowners, check out this website.

Re: Nonresident Landowners, check out this website

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aren't there trees in GA?????? </div></div>

Just sissy ones...the ones that won't grow in cold weather.

Just poking at ya bonker....good post though...and the one before it!

i am surrounded my NR landowners, it would be nice if these people could do their part and kill some does . They plant to feed the deer all year and now i am infested with does. My rut is nonexistent. if 20% of landowners re really NR landowners, that equals alot of does. It is a never ending problem, damned if we do , damned if we dont

if its 20% state wide, imagine what it is when broken down by region. southern third of the state is probably close to 60%

krh,

A NR landowner gets one doe tag per year what's he/she supposed to do? And don't say let everyone hunt that's not realistic. The resident video producing hunters have made Iowa popular now the resident hunter joe, and the DNR, is in a bind trying to keep the herd in check with the influx of folks wanting to hunt there. If T-Roy is right that nearly 60% of southern IA is NR owned the DNR can't keep the system the same, there will be too many deer. At least give the NR landowner a few doe tags to help, but then residents accuse NR of shooting bucks while doe hunting. With this continued back and forth nothing will get done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Back40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">krh,

A NR landowner gets one doe tag per year what's he/she supposed to do? And don't say let everyone hunt that's not realistic. </div></div>

Back 40, if I follow your meaning it is impratical for a NR to open his ground to public hunting. Believe it or not, I agree. A solution to this problem is the program the DNR started a few years ago matching up hunters with land owners. Doesn't open it up to the pubic because you still retain control, but you may or may not know the folks you are giving permission to.

Another solution is here on this site. You got land you want does cleaned out of, or better put, get a few killed off, lets start a list of hunters on this site willing to kill does only. You look at the list, you think somebody on the list is a stand up guy that can resist temptation and won't kill your bucks, you send him a PM, you work out the deatils and you both end up winners.

Just a thought.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If T-Roy is right that nearly 60% of southern IA is NR owned </div></div>

no way acutal numbers, just a guess. if its 20% state wide, it has to be higher down south, where all the hype is generated

back 4o, no reason a guy couldn't meet his neighbors, get a feel for them, and see if one could be trusted to keep an eye on things, and be allowed to take some does. if that didn't work, you could go through the DNR's program, or find someone on here that lives close by that you could trust

Someone mentioned there's ways to defend Iowa hunting against Friends of Iowa, the main being IBA, is there any other advice, simply join IBA? It would be awesome if hunters on here brought flyers to put up in the archery and sports shops around them to promote IBA, I think lots of folks aren't aware of it and would join if it could get more exposure.

Bonker,

Actually, your idea is not that bad at all. In fact I would love to come to a shed hunt or the classic, etc. to meet some of the guys and gals on the forum. Great way to meet and get a feel for character.
T, I know you were just guesstimating. I have gotten to know my neighbors and do permit them to shoot a few deer. They are great people but old school, not versed in QDM, and simply want deer for the freezer. Nothing wrong with that of course, but they don't take the numbers needed to keep the balance. Better than nothing though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot1kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What the heck is a fish bonker? There laws against that type of thing....you know....bonking fish! </div></div>

As far as I know you can bonk fish all you want. You have a problem when you start boinking them.

i am all in favor of NR doe tags. lets be realistic, i have my own does to kill i am not going to kill my neighbors for them and most likeley either does anyone else want to do that. please do not try and tell me the majority of people on this website want to take time away from their family to do someone else job . my neighbors have have a land manager he manages abaout 15 farms, food plots etc, he shoots a couple every year but a couple is never enough. their has to be some balance its getting out of hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krh</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> lets be realistic, i have my own does to kill i am not going to kill my neighbors for them and most likeley either does anyone else want to do that. please do not try and tell me the majority of people on this website want to take time away from their family to do someone else job . </div></div>

Good point. I spend A LOT of time away from the family as a resident. I'm so busy shooting does on the properties that I hunt that I don't have time to hunt someone else's. I start shooting does early muzzle loader and continue through bow, shotgun and late antlerless seasons. I'm curious as to how a NR could spend that much time in Iowa even if they could get tags, assuming that they need to thin as many does as everyone claims they do?

i got time, no family, and an empty freezer. and i LOVE to kill does. somebody send me a pm and lets get a plan in gear!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am all in favor of NR doe tags. lets be realistic, i have my own does to kill i am not going to kill my neighbors for them and most likeley either does anyone else want to do that. please do not try and tell me the majority of people on this website want to take time away from their family to do someone else job . my neighbors have have a land manager he manages abaout 15 farms, food plots etc, he shoots a couple every year but a couple is never enough. their has to be some balance its getting out of hand. </div></div>

Maybe I'm not following you.

Majority? Naw, my point was to match up folks who don't have land of their own, food plots to maintain, jobs/time that is flexible, families that are flexible and don’t mind killin does with folks who have a doe problem and want some help. They just want to hunt somewhere where there isn’t so much pressure and the opportunity to kill does is higher than where they currently hunt.

It would get pricey for the hunter with travel and lodging, but some folks are willing just for the experience, even if it is just for a doe(s).

I dunno, here is a partial solution, maybe nobody really wants the problem solved?

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timekiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot1kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What the heck is a fish bonker? There laws against that type of thing....you know....bonking fish! </div></div>

As far as I know you can bonk fish all you want. You have a problem when you start boinking them. </div></div>

"Uhhh, you wanna know how this fish got "there"? Well Officer, I was just swimmin along and....."

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am all in favor of NR doe tags. lets be realistic, i have my own does to kill i am not going to kill my neighbors for them and most likeley either does anyone else want to do that. please do not try and tell me the majority of people on this website want to take time away from their family to do someone else job . my neighbors have have a land manager he manages abaout 15 farms, food plots etc, he shoots a couple every year but a couple is never enough. their has to be some balance its getting out of hand. </div></div>

Maybe I'm not following you.

Majority? Naw, my point was to match up folks who don't have land of their own, food plots to maintain, jobs/time that is flexible, families that are flexible and don’t mind killin does with folks who have a doe problem and want some help. They just want to hunt somewhere where there isn’t so much pressure and the opportunity to kill does is higher than where they currently hunt.

It would get pricey for the hunter with travel and lodging, but some folks are willing just for the experience, even if it is just for a doe(s).

I dunno, here is a partial solution, maybe nobody really wants the problem solved?

The 'Bonker </div></div>

Make it accessible, and make it cheap. The poplulation will never come into check when tags are 13 bucks a piece. The DNR knows this, the state knows this, and any hunter who pays the annual "tag" bill at the sporting good store knows it.
I could really care less about the meat gained from the hunts to be honest with you, and it isn't really my problem if someone else's property is over-run with deer, but I'll be damned if I'm going to keep shelling out a hundred bucks a year to kill does and then donate them to HUSH.........unless the landowner is willing to pay for all or at least partial costs of the tags. ( this works very well, everyone's happy )

These issues are, always have been, and always will revolve around money and the state of Iowa. Everyone has something to fund or pay for, so the possibility of creating a solution by decreasing the amount of money taken in is out of the question............Changing season dates, quotas, NR allotments, tag numbers, ect., ect.,......These are the ways the state trys to manage the deer population. They know it won't work, but it's their way of trying to please everyone breathing down their neck who wants to see the overall numbers reduced.

So..........what's the solution??? There isn't one unless you reduce tag prices down to 2 dollars and force large land owners in certain areas to allow hunting. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Just for clarity I contacted the QDMA organization. They are not familiar with the Friends of Iowa site nor do they claim to understand the real issues at hand. I was assured that they would be looking into this and either remain apolitical or fall on the side of this issue that best suites true smart deer management. This will either grow my support of their organization or sever it. In my opinion this will be a very defining moment for QDMA in Iowa. Iowa members may want to let them know how you feel about this subject and why.

Let me say I am not supporting Friends of Iowa, but I don't see where they say the QDMA is supporting or endorsing them. FOI states they believe in the QDMA's philosophy and practices. Don't see why the QDMA would care either way about a political battle waged between two groups in one state.
If I understand it correctly FOI wants access to land in Iowa for all landowners and suggests the implemenation of QDMA practices between R and NR landowners. FOI intends on influencing the state legislature/DNR to change NR access. The QDMA would have to weigh in on the lobbying of the state law makers, regarding the changing of NR regs, to form an opinion of FOI. That isn't what the QDMA does IMO. But again FOI never says the QDMA endorses them.

Folks,
I am the Communications Director for the Quality Deer Management Association (QDMA). As a QDMA member, Ironwood contacted us to let us know about the discussion of QDMA’s relationship to Friends of Iowa. The Friends of Iowa (FOI) website makes several references to the “Quality Deer Management” philosophy. Also, the FOI site quoted the QDMA mission statement as a way of helping explain the QDM philosophy. For some users of this Forum, that raised questions about QDMA’s involvement and support of FOI.

For this discussion, be sure to make a distinction between “QDM” the philosophy and “QDMA” the nonprofit organization that I work for whose mission is to teach deer hunters about the philosophy.

While QDMA members are involved with FOI, the national organization is not affiliated with Friends of Iowa and has not been asked to review, endorse or support the goals of FOI. Based on what we know at this time about the mission of FOI and the debate in this Forum, this appears to be a regulatory issue for Iowa hunters and the state agency to discuss.

I hope this clears up any confusion about QDMA and FOI. Please feel free to contact me at QDMA headquarters (800-209-3337) if you have further questions.

Lindsay Thomas Jr.
QDMA Communications Director

Top Bottom