Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR party hunting to be eliminated

My assumption is that most NRLO's are using the party hunting rule to have the option to shoot a buck every year gun hunting while they wait to draw their bow tag every several years. They are potentially letting multiple residents hunt their land, with the understanding that the buck tags are pooled for the NRLO to be able to shoot a buck. There is probably some kind of expectation that a buck tag out of the group must be saved for the NRLO. There is also the fact that NR's (possibly through the outfitter actually doing it) are paying residents for their tag to bypass the NR draw system. I'm not sure how much this happens but it happens.

Those are my beliefs/assumptions that I have done very little verification of, just what I believe happens. I'm guessing a lot of other Iowa resident hunters here have the same thoughts, which is why you see very little of us upset about the regulation change. I don't care enough about it to try to put any effort into validating if my thoughts are correct. I just wanted to provide a little insight into why there isn't much support for the NRLO's on here. If anything, it potentially benefits a resident who wants to buy land. We didn't push for this to happen, it just did, but not many of us are impacted enough to really care. There is general sympathy for those NRLO that have already invested in Iowa land, but that's about it.

It sucks that you have a big land investment and this is dumped on you, but there's always a risk in regulations changing (even for residents) when you buy land. That risk is slightly larger in buying out of state.

Iowa should ban all NR land ownership. Period. If there’s gonna be dramatic changes like this it should be banned. I live in Dallas County, over the past several years Apple, and other companies, have purchased thousands of acres of ag ground. Iowa will gladly take that money and other out of state and foreign investment. Maybe the Governor should “clean that up”. But hey let’s f..k the rec ground guy. We’re talking about a deer, an over grown goat. Joke.

Last edited:
My assumption is that most NRLO's are using the party hunting rule to have the option to shoot a buck every year gun hunting while they wait to draw their bow tag every several years. They are potentially letting multiple residents hunt their land, with the understanding that the buck tags are pooled for the NRLO to be able to shoot a buck. There is probably some kind of expectation that a buck tag out of the group must be saved for the NRLO. There is also the fact that NR's (possibly through the outfitter actually doing it) are paying residents for their tag to bypass the NR draw system. I'm not sure how much this happens but it happens.

Those are my beliefs/assumptions that I have done very little verification of, just what I believe happens. I'm guessing a lot of other Iowa resident hunters here have the same thoughts, which is why you see very little of us upset about the regulation change. I don't care enough about it to try to put any effort into validating if my thoughts are correct. I just wanted to provide a little insight into why there isn't much support for the NRLO's on here. If anything, it potentially benefits a resident who wants to buy land. We didn't push for this to happen, it just did, but not many of us are impacted enough to really care. There is general sympathy for those NRLO that have already invested in Iowa land, but that's about it.

It sucks that you have a big land investment and this is dumped on you, but there's always a risk in regulations changing (even for residents) when you buy land. That risk is slightly larger in buying out of state.
In today’s day and age I think a lot of residents would exclude non-residents? If it came up in Minnesota, would I vote for ending NR over the counter hunting tags, and/or fishing licenses ?

Probably not ? I’d bet a majority would sign up for that . A state could do reciprocal rules. Where the same laws apply based on the Nonresident states law. That would be the way to go.

Iowa should ban all NR land ownership. Period. If there’s gonna be dramatic changes like this it should be banned. I live in Dallas County, over the past several years Apple, and other companies, have purchased thousands of acres of ag ground. Iowa will gladly take that money and other out of state and foreign investment. Maybe the Governor should “clean that up”. But hey let’s f..k the rec ground guy. We’re talking about a deer, an over grown goat. Joke.
Just curious, what made you move to Iowa? Was it a job opportunity or was the over grown goat hunting so much better here than where you came from?

It was the politics, people, wife’s job and hunting last. I wouldn’t make a life move for a month of over grown goat hunting.

I ve been reading and debating whether or not to respond. I was actually in Iowa working on my farm when this change happened. My brother and I are joint owners on a piece in Southern Wayne county. We first bought 42 acres in 2007 and have added to it since then. The debate or issue with NRLO was going on then and it goes on still today. Back at the start we had tresspassing issues, people gluing our locks shut, and deer parts were left on our gates and entrances. Thankfully as time went on all that changed. Im going to use an analogy here that justified my first land purchase in iowa and see if makes sense. At the time my share of 42 acres was the cost of a nice pick up truck. My brothers cost was the same. Back then I could draw a bow tag every other year. Crazy to say but now we cant even get a turkey tag every year. This was my second time applying over the years and getting a point, but most years we draw.
We have been lucky and have made more friends in Iowa then I have fingers on both hands. These are genuine friends that we stay in touch with year round. These are friends that we allow to hunt on our land. We have a husband and wife with two daughters. Both the girls killed their first deer on our land and we got thank you texts and pics from them. I beleive we let 7 but possibly 8 of of Iowa friends hunt last year both deer and turkey.
We own enough land and pay our share of property taxes that I sure wish I could get a bow tag in a reasonable amount of years. Im 62 and at least 3 years away from another bowhunt. As time went on and the bow tags got harder to draw we did party hunt with our friends. Last year my family killed 7 deer. 6 does and a very small spike. Would we shoot a buck if the opportunity arose sure, but we use this hunt to try and thin out some does and keep our populatuon in check. This change will hurt us in that aspect. Not a huge standard by Iowa but we have a 140 minimum or a bully buck over 4.5. The 3 bucks we have shot over the years were in the 150 class.
This change hurts but we are trying to work our way around it. My brother and his wife dont bow hunt so with his points he will likely draw a SG tag this year and his wife will get a point and then apply for a doe tag. Then they will flip flop that scenario next year. My son applied for his bow tag this year with 5 points and I will hunt Missouri. We play the game but we play it by the laws the DNR has put in place.
When its all said and done our land has gone up in value since we bought it. If rec ground drops in value in my mind it really dosent matter. We have a piece that is tillable and could sell to a farmer and not that I would like this but two different Amish families have said if we ever want to sell our North end let them know. Between Crp and tree plantings these have helped pay our note. By 2027 we will own it outright. Its been a great investment, a great place to come and visit and spend time and hunt. I wouldnt change anything about our decision owning land. My brother and I arent rich guys either. He is a self employed electrician and Im a self employed tile setter. We just had an opportunity and ran with it Im not much of a writer so hope this long rant all this makes sense. And if any of you ever want to come East to Maryland I highly recommend looking into hunting our Sika deer. its a one of a kind hunt and they are delicious.

People keep saying the law was changed. The law didn’t change. Nothing in the wording was altered. What changed is the fact that they are going to try to enforce the law as written. Nowhere in the “Nonresident deer hunting law” did it give NR’s permission to share tags. They came out and instead of using legal jargon, wrote it in black and white, in one sentence, so there’d be no question. No groups were pushing it and there is no conspiracy.

Ask yourselves this: If the ISP came out and said they were writing tickets for 1 mph over the speed limit, is that changing the law? No, it’s just enforcing it as written. The fact that just about everyone can run 5 over and they let it slide doesn’t mean that it is legal.

On a side note, the videos with the Drury”s mean nothing. It’s already been stated here that it depended on the officer on what answer you’d get. No different than numerous other regs. Look back through the years and see how many of the Governor's tags they received. I’m betting they’d be at the top of the list with the # they’ve gotten. IE: they were rubbing shoulders with everyone in the video. You won’t convince me that they weren’t using the “loophole” and profiting greatly either. It would be very interesting to see how many of their clients have used LO or R tags over the years.

For the record, I really don’t care which way it’s enforced. 100% neutral. If it is enforced, great, if not, then change the law to reflect that it’s legal. I really don’t believe that much is going to be affected as it is. I think it would be detrimental to advertise keeping it as it was.
The only real way anyone will get caught is if they are stopped at the line with a tag that isn’t theirs. Simple workaround is to have it taxidermy’d here, after that the tag isn’t required.

There are 3 DNR officials on the Drury video to include the late great Willie Suchy who I believe went by the handle of Blind Sow on this site providing a myriad of info on various topics. They all got it wrong?

Last edited:
There are 3 DNR officials on the Drury video to include the late great Willie Suchy who I believe went by the handle of Blind Sow on this site providing a myriad of info on various topics. They all got it wrong?
According to whoever reviewed the law as written and updated the regulations, yes, they all got it wrong.

According to whoever reviewed the law as written and updated the regulations, yes, they all got it wrong.
It is changed now . Let’s just be honest. The regulation in the book is changed from what what it was before .

If you can find an old booklet and/or site that says nonresident party hunting is illegal.

Please post it !

It is changed now . Let’s just be honest. The regulation in the book is changed from what what it was before .

If you can find an old booklet and/or site that says nonresident party hunting is illegal.

Please post it !

Chapter 94 “Nonresident deer hunting”

Post #121, I posted a screenshot of the law for you back then Hardwood. Rule 94.4(3)

Possession must match the license number and tag.

Heres a link for you

The very first paragraph, rule 94.1:
No one who is issued a deer hunting license and transportation tag shall allow another person to use or possess that license or transportation tag while deer hunting or tagging a deer.

Its pretty black & white.

Last edited:
It’s s
Chapter 94 “Nonresident deer hunting”

Post #121, I posted a screenshot of the law for you back then Hardwood. Rule 94.4(3)

Possession must match the license number and tag.

Heres a link for you

The very first paragraph, rule 94.1:
No one who is issued a deer hunting license and transportation tag shall allow another person to use or possess that license or transportation tag while deer hunting or tagging a deer.

It’s pretty black & white.
So black/white the DNR told everyone it’s legal for Nonresidents to party hunt for several years and is on record stating that …!

Plus the local Conservation officers told us it’s 100% legal to Party hunt!

You can find 25 threads online about this topic. It was the same feedback the DNR and the CO said it was legal. Now they changed it.
IMG_5219.png

Last edited:
You can see the 23 Regs you can see the Party hunting regulation. It says anyone present in the hunting party .

Note above post …

Good lord people give it a rest and go back and work on the laws to improve your own states . You were allowed to take advantage of a loophole all these years and now it’s closed as it should be . Even if some resident guys act like they feel bad in here they really don’t . Non residents have done nothing for our state but drive up ground prices and limit and take away access for residents.

Last edited:
  • Deleted by Hardwood11
  • Reason: Dd
Show…
I live in Iowa. Residents are the biggest violators during party hunting. Period. I’ve dealt with it too many times. My resident farmer neighbors have deeper pockets than anyone and gobble up property all the time. You can also thank the resident video stars. They drove up prices. NRs drive it up, look in the mirror. This will open the door to worse legislation.

Last edited:
Iowa legislation branch creates the laws. The DNR reads the laws and creates regulations to enforce the laws. Governer requested regulations be reviewed to ensure they align with the laws written. DNR regulations were reviewed and determined to not clearly reflect the ways the laws were written, so that has been corrected. The way the DNR regulations were written left potential interpretation that NR party hunting was legal, which has been determined not to be legal based on the way the law is written. The fact that DNR officials are on video saying party hunting is legal doesn't mean it was legal. It means the law was misinterpreted by the DNR. Iowa DNR has no power in making laws, they aren't even allowed to provide comments/input into laws being made (which I don't agree with).

I get you guys are trying to hold onto NR party hunting, but the argument that the DNR said you could has no legal merit in the Iowa law. It has been determined that the regulations didn't reflect the law, so the regulations have been corrected.

I did speak with 2 dnr officers in a different area than I’m in. 2 big issues brought up or expressed… Outfitters were churning guys through with the transferable tags. “Massive amounts & countless outfitters doing it”. That issue has been reported to almost every DNR officer in the state. Some dug in to “were they with you?” But most dismissed the reports based on “sorry, nothing I can do”. That’s for sure one aspect of the law clarification I am glad about.

The second one…. Same scenario on countless folks (often in these small towns) selling their tags. Personally, I know of a half dozen in my little area that get between $500-3,000 to sell their tags. They are “supposed to be with them” & clearly we know many aren’t. They have expressed they are upset because that was a good chunk of $. In a weird way, I feel bad for them (just cause small towns - that’s a lot of $)…. they don’t hunt anymore &/or don’t give 2 craps about hunting) but clearly this is not a good dynamic playing out around the state.
THOSE 2 ISSUES SPECIFICALLY…. Needed to be addressed. Will some break the law & give tags out - sure. But it stops/slows this wide spread practice big time. Those 2 issues Needed addressed.

Top Bottom