Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NUMBER OF PINS??

HUSKERBUCK

PMA Member
BEING FAIRLY NEW TO BOWHUNTING I HAVE A QUESTION. THE PAST COUPLE OF YEARS
I HUNTED WITH A FRIENDS OLDER MARTIN PANTHER. IT HAD 3 PINS ON THE SITE (10 20 & 30 YARDS).
THAT BOW WAS SLOW ENOUGH THAT IT NEEDED IT. I BOUGHT MY FIRST BOW A PSE PREDATOR AND HAVE SET
2 PINS SO FAR 10 AND 20. AND THE ARE CLOSE ENOUGH TOGETHER I AM WORRIED THEY WILL INTERFEAR WITH MAKING A SHOT. DONT KNOW IF I WILL SET A 30 AS I AM NOT COMFORTABLE ENOUGH WITH MY SELF
TO SHOOT THAT FAR. I AM WONDERING WITH A QUICKER BOW IF I SHOULD JUST USE THE 20 YARD PIN.
WHAT DO YOU THINK AND WHAT DO YOU HAVE YOUR PINS SET FOR ON YOUR HUNTING SETUPS??
THANKS
HUSKERBUCK
26404-archer[1].gif

yea u dont want too many pins on your bow, i had the problem last year i had 6 pins and when you have a deer infront of you thats hte last thing u need to worry about actually i'm goin to take the 3 off my bow right now!!!
this year they will be 10-15-20 on 1 pin 25-30 on one pin, and 35-40 on one pin i pry wont ever use the 35-40 pin but its fun for 3-d shooting!! just dont get too many pins put on your bow cuz its 1 more thing u have to worry about when your about ready to shoot your trophy!! HOPE THIS HELPS!
waytogo.gif

that's what's nice about the trophy ridge sights. i have 5 pins that are verticaly moveable and you can hide them behind each other. during 3D i use all 5 but when bow season gets here i'll only have 2 or 3 with the other ones hidden. all in all i think you only need a 20 and 30-35 yard pin when hunting.

i use three pins, a 20, 30, and 40 yard pin. works good for me, and that is what my dad and all my other friends shoot, so i guess it is just personal preference, but i agree the more pins the more confusing it gets when a big boy in front of you already has your brain hashed!!

A 20 yard and 40 yard pin. Split the difference for 30. Has worked on the last 7 or 8 deer. I shoot a matthews MQ1@62 pounds, beman ics arrows, it is a great hunting setup. Keep it simple and you can't go wrong.
26404-archer[1].gif

I prefer the 20 30 and 40 yard pin setup but rarely do I hunt an area where I can shoot more than 30. I feel there is too much room for error at 40 but some people do just fine at that yardage while hunting

I use 1 pin set at 25 yards. It's easier for me to simply raise or lower that 1 pin on the target than to risk using the wrong pin.
893archer-thumb[1].gif

1 pin for me. Mathews FX set at 72lbs. Beaman 400 carbon arrows. It's accurate from 0-30yds, since I won't shoot deer past 30yds it's never caused a problem. When target practicing at greater distances I just hold slightly higher. I used to have 3 on my bow and it cost me a nice buck, haven't missed since.

Pupster

Husker, shoot your 20 yard pin from 10 yards and see how high you hit. If it is only 2 or 3 inches then make it simple and just use the 20 yard pin. I shoot a Mathews SQ2 and I have a Trophy Ridge sight with two pins visible. One at 25yds and one at 45yds. In hunting the 25yd pin is all I use and I am good from 0 to 30yds. Basically do what is good for you. Go out and shoot your bow from different distances with just your 20yd pin and see if that will work for your set up.

Good luck.
grin.gif

One at 23 and one at 40. I have enough trouble keeping it together, I don't need to be thinking about what pin to use...

I knew someone would ask. A clinometer was involved I can tell you that...
evil.gif

No seriously, no real reason other than thinking I was siting my pin in at 25 yards and getting my range finder out and finding out it was 23... Just kept it the same ever since.

OOHHH Limb!
doah.gif
Your letting out all my secrets man! Hey, just thought of a new way to use my clinometer with my range finder. I can see a new picture being posted in the near future.

I have three on my PSE, 20,30, and 40. I should take off the 40 cause I dont have that much faith in myself or my bow at that range. I don't need any more distractions other than my stomach in my throat, knees and arms shaking and oh yeah, heart beating out of my chest.

last year i started shooting different yardages and i would always get them confused, so now i made a lil sticker on my bow that has a little red dot thats my 15-20 then another red dot with my 25-30 then a lil yellow dot with my 35-40 it helps keep the exact distance for every pin so u dont get confused. but when the big boy is infront of u, you dont have time to look at the sticker to see what pin to use. Know your equipment before you go out to use it!!
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

Speaking more as an old rifle shooter more than a bowman, I don't see what the big deal is with all the pins. If you know your yardage, and you know how much an arrow falls at what yardage, why have all the confusion over multiple pins. My 30-06 drops 3" at 250 yards. I have one cross hair. I know what it does cause I shoot it alot.
rambo.gif

Take all the pins out, but two. Sight for the medium shot, then sight for the longest shot you feel comfortable shooting. Worst case sinario is you miss by 2-3"...you are shooting at a set of vitals the size of a 5 gallon bucket. More pins, more thought, less chance of doing it right. I'd even bet you do just as good with a single pin, and some confidence.

I struggled with this last year and changed sights and have tried to change my method of sighting. I fined myself a little frustrated and more convinced that I should simply limit my pins to two and not over think the whole process. djhunters post sounds right on the money to me. I bought a site with a level on it and find it just added another thing to screw me up. I am going to be working on two pin shooting.

ironwood,

I'm a long time believer in 1 pin (set for 25 yards) and lots of practice. Works well for a relatively flat shooting bow, but at some point it all comes down to accurately judging the distance of the shot. This is true regardless of how many pins you use.

Somebody will probably make a joke out of this but I do have rather poor depth perception(military tested). I think it affects my distance judgment somewhat. With that said, besides 3-D and a rangefinder, what is the best way to improve your distance judging ability. I am interested honing my instinctive skills.
26404-archer[1].gif

Ironwood, What I've done for years is judge distance year round. When you are out doing anything, even shopping or just walking down the sidewalk, pick an object ahead of you and guess it's yardage. Step it off as you go to confirm the distance. By constantly practicing estimating yardage it will start to come naturally.

Top Bottom