Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nuther Question(s)

Fishbonker

Life Member
JNRBRONC won a bag of Bucks and Bosses at a recent QDMA meeting. I shamed him into giving the bag to me. The bag is supposed to cover ½ acre. The plot I wanna plant is 200X60 feet, give or take a few feet. The plot is currently in, what I think is, Brome grass. I burned it off a few weeks ago and the weather turned very cold freezing the sprouted Brome. My plan was to burn it off, let it grow for a couple of weeks, nuke it with glyphosate and about two weeks later plow, disc, harrow, broadcast and drag. Now I think it is too late to nuke it and wait for the glyphosate to do its thing before I turn the soil. So now what I’m thinking of doin is just cut out the nuke step, turn and finish the soil, broadcast and drag.

I don’t think for a minute that the plot will be Brome, or any other grass, free. I assume I’ll be spraying something to control the grass.

So my questions are these:

1: Would it be better to wait till next year after I nuke the plot this fall and then plant it next spring?

2: If I plant it yet this spring what herbicide would work best to control grasses and broadleaves?

3: The contents of the mix are listed below. Seems kinda clover heavy to me. Yes or No?

4: If I mix in some wild flowers what herbicide should I use so I don’t kill them?

5: Would you mold board plow and disc or just disc? I’m concerned with turning over more weed seeds to germinate but I got a plow and what good is a tool left in the box?

Anyway, thanks for any info.

The ‘Bonker

Tecomate Bucks and Bosses

16% Zapican White Clover

15% Madrid Yellow Blossom Sweet Clover

15% Naomi Wooly Pod Vetch

7% La Ninia Chichory

7% Tripoli White Clover

7% Huia White Clover

7% Start Red Clover

5% Norcen Birdsfoot Trefoil

3% Facon Chicory

0.1% Other Crop Seed

0.5% Inert Matter

0.03% Weed Seed

19% Coating Material

Since the ingredients are heavily tilted towards clover I would lean towards killing your plot 2 or 3 times between now and Aug. 1 and then plant your clover mix. If it were me I would spray it now and then disc it after a week or so and let whatever weeds come up that want to and then mow 'em down and nuke it again. Maybe even nuke it twice more between now and August. You would also have time to add lime if you need it/want it.

I think if you read through the lengthy thread in this forum on clover you will arrive at about the same opinion. As has been suggested by others, primarily Dbltree, too... consider planting a nurse crop of oats.

[ QUOTE ]
1: Would it be better to wait till next year after I nuke the plot this fall and then plant it next spring?

2: If I plant it yet this spring what herbicide would work best to control grasses and broadleaves?

3: The contents of the mix are listed below. Seems kinda clover heavy to me. Yes or No?

4: If I mix in some wild flowers what herbicide should I use so I don’t kill them?

5: Would you mold board plow and disc or just disc? I’m concerned with turning over more weed seeds to germinate but I got a plow and what good is a tool left in the box?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would wait until late summer rather then next year.

If you plant now or later...Poast or Select (grass herbicides) are the only ones that will not kill wildflowers and chicory.

Yes....the mix is heavy with clover...sweet clover is a nasty stemmy clover better off for quail but it only last one season in most cases...but hey...free seed!
grin.gif

You would be far better off to plant the wildflowers in a seperate spot (divide a small area off and devote it to wildflowers) they don't mix well with clover and mowing.

No matter if you plow or disc...same result...weeds galore!
grin.gif

Plant in late summer with oats...shoot deer that feed on the oats, the oats will die at first frost, your freezer will be full...so will your wallet from not blowing it on herbicide and you'll have a nice clover plot there next spring!
cool.gif

Top Bottom