Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Oats

Daver

PMA Member
Has anyone ever planted regular field oats at this time of the year and if so, what should I expect?

I bought some today and I thought I would try them. My understanding is that they will come up fast but will stand frost very well. I was thinking about putting them in a spot that I really want to frost seed to clover next Spring.

I mix buck forage oats with alot of my fall food plots and the deer love them and they work good for an early season bow stand but when the temp. gets down to 15-20 degrees for a few nights in a row they are done. I mix winter wheat and rye with brassica with the oats to cover the whole season. Just my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
I mix buck forage oats with alot of my fall food plots and the deer love them and they work good for an early season bow stand but when the temp. gets down to 15-20 degrees for a few nights in a row they are done. I mix winter wheat and rye with brassica with the oats to cover the whole season. Just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a plan to me
waytogo.gif

I planted some oats about 10 days ago and there up and going, but most of my fall planting will be rye. Both pretty reasonable Dave, but put in some rye for any late season hunting.

What would be the latest date to plant this mixture. We have some corn food plots that are shot now and we thought about mowing them and drilling in oats, rye ect.

[ QUOTE ]
What would be the latest date to plant this mixture. We have some corn food plots that are shot now and we thought about mowing them and drilling in oats, rye ect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oats, rye and wheat can be planted anytime perferably at least 3-4 weeks ahead of a killing frost.

Since the oats won't last they should be in the ground ASAP. I'll be planting rye and AWP this next week (Rye and wheat shouldn't be planted too soon, while oats doesn't really matter)

Rye can and often is planted even after a first frost in October, but one won't have any "grazing" if planted that late.

It's getting on the later side for brassicas but we still have time to get some decent growth. I'd want to try to get them planted in the next week to 10days.

I live in SE Iowa so we have another week or two compared to northern areas before the average first frost.

Average Frost Dates

I would think the sooner it is planted the better as Paul mentioned you have time but best done sooner than later. Here is a mix of Buck Forage Oats, Winter Wheat, Rye, Austrian Winter Peas, and Turnips planted August 23. These were limed, and fertilized before planting and have had over three inches of rain since. These picts were taken Sept. 2 nine days after being planted.
1106P9020077-med.JPG

1106P9020076-med.JPG

Dang Travis, I'm glad you don't live next to me...I'd have to start doing a better job
smirk.gif

Looks great!!
waytogo.gif

Mid September is considered the fly-free date for most of Iowa on winter wheat planting. I have always kind of targeted September 1 though since I'm looking for more fall growth and not worried about grain yield next year. I don't think the fly bothers rye as much but can be a problem on most of the fall grains.

Shredder- if the rye made it to the ground, I'll bet you're going to like it.

Top Bottom