Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Off topic: Turkey numbers

letemwalk

Have any of you noticed a decline in turkey numbers the past couple of years? I used to see flocks of 20-35 birds regularly in the fall and would see turkeys almost every time in the stand. This year the most I've seen is 5 birds at once and only see birds about 25% of the time. The numbers seem to be down significantly where I live in South Central Iowa. I've also bow hunted more this year than in the past 5 years. Has anyone else noticed a decline in bird numbers?

Getting overrun by turkeys here too. Have trouble walking into a few of my stands as they seem to like to roost right where I'm wanting to hunt. Would love to see a decline in there numbers here.

I with the other 2 and have seen more groups of 20-30 then I could count. More then I have seen any other year. Maybe I need to start taking out the gun for the turkeys

I am seeing even more turkeys than in previous years and I saw plenty in years past. I think a 5 acre winter wheat field surrounded by timber is not hurting the cause!
grin.gif

I almost always see and hear multiple turkeys on my farm in the Fall. They are there in the Spring too, but I really think there are a lot more prevalent in the Fall for some reason. I had one flock of 14 longbeards making their way towards me last week when I am convinced one of them saw my orange/white fletching and spooked just a bit. I then didn't shoot, but I did get a clear shot off at a longbeard last Saturday AM, but whistled one too high over his back.

I am in SE Iowa.

Still seeing plenty around here.

Wondering if I'll ever get used to them flying out of the tree I'm climbing in the dark....and scaring the bjeepers out of me
bigshock.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif

Top Bottom