Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Order of operations?

shrek1

PMA Member
From start to finish- what steps do you take to make a perfect plot?

Soil test
Lime (if needed)
fertilize (if needed)
till
plant
spray
mow

These are just some options, what order do you use and how much importance do you weigh on each one. Every scenario is different with each type of plot. Just wanted some of your suggestions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Soil test
Lime (if needed)
fertilize (if needed)
till
plant
spray
mow
</div></div>

Since you have "mow" on the list I assume you are talking about a crop like clover?

Just to be more specific I till, pack, seed, re-pack

I don't spray unless I have a problem that can't be controlled by clipping occasionally otherwise I'd say your order of operations would be hard to beat /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I've wondered about what order to do what in too.

The more I think about it, the more confused I get /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

For a corn plot, I want to spray, till, wait for more weeds to come up, spray, lime and fertilize, culipack and plant.

Ok- question- what if the two sprayings put me past the optimum planting date? Am I looking at RR seed and/or using a pre-emergent (I don't have an applicator's license)? Also, do I need to disc in the fertilizer/lime down to seed depth? Thought I heard somewhere you want that stuff down 1.5" or so to take full advantage of pricey fert/lime.

For fall plantings, I don't worry too much because I have all spring and summer to nuke the weeds and lime, etc. Plus the weed competition is really a non factor in the fall. Everything I've planted in the fall has done great- even for someone that has no idea what he's doing.

LIME should pry be the 1st thing since it takes a while to incorporate into the soil, I'd be liming it right now if you haven't already AND are able. *If it were ME, I'd do lime/fertilizer at same time and both NOW.

*Oh, and obviously you do the soil sample 1st so you know what you need! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom