Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Other states stepping up

Love this!!!!! I’m a NR of CO. I want them to limit me IF it means their resource & residents are better off for it. That state is/was getting over-run. There’s your normal “I don’t like NR’s” in ANY STATE you will hear. In CO- it was “we are over run!!!” They needed a course correction. It means it’s harder for ME to go there. It also means the residents, resource & those that VOTE & LIVE THEIR get a notch of favor in their direction. That’s how it should be!!! Good for Colorado!!!

Interesting...I don't follow this closely, but I thought they might start off by restricting things less severely than that. Hmmm.

Short version...although I have never hunted elk in Colorado I have heard many people that do say that it just keeps getting more crowded all the time. So from that...I guess I am not surprised to hear it.

Interesting...I don't follow this closely, but I thought they might start off by restricting things less severely than that. Hmmm.

Short version...although I have never hunted elk in Colorado I have heard many people that do say that it just keeps getting more crowded all the time. So from that...I guess I am not surprised to hear it.
I’ve hunted Colorado a few times- last time it was terrible. So we’ve only bought points since, I think it’s going to drastically get better (minus the wolves)

I have never hunted elk, but I’ve heard some guys say they hunt on federal land ? Should that be treated different? Since it is paid for with federal tax dollars, not state ?

I have never hunted elk, but I’ve heard some guys say they hunt on federal land ? Should that be treated different? Since it is paid for with federal tax dollars, not state ?

The first time I hunted elk in New Mexico on federal ground, the forest service roads were in decent shape. Good enough I could get back in with my Honda Civic. Second trip, the roads had heavily deteriorated and I was glad I had my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Think there was federal budget cuts to maintain the roads. I’d have to look back at pics for dates. So state vs federal might not have much to do with it. Most everyone there the last time were ripping up and down the roads on ATVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feds don't own the deer or elk. The states do. So they get to regulate. Not really different than deer or elk on private property. Landowners don't get to make the rules, unless it's high fence and the state no longer owns the animals.

Kudos to Colorado.

I can't imagine how good Missouri would be if they had Iowa regulations. Was down there today and was thinking about that as usual. Unbelievably good habitat. Way better than Iowa.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a NR landowner getting an extra PP here. I co-own some farms with a buddy who lives out of state and him having to wait 5 yrs for a bow tag and not even being able to party hunt with me is very frustrating. He plans on moving down here eventually when his kids are out of school and he can retire but in the meantime he’s porked. Definitely a lot to think about and our future endeavors. At the least maybe some reduced fee doe tags for him to buy and help me thin some does out during gun seasons.

Last edited:
Last time I hunted Co OTC was 7 years ago. That trip was to a new area after giving up on a different area that we had hunted for 20 years. Swore I'd never do OTC again.

This was pushed 100% by CO resident hunters and I don't blame them one bit.

It will be interesting to see what happens to tag and license fee's going forward. For sure there will be some revenue loss.

The biggest thing that this changes is now hunters cannot build points and still hunt OTC.
Applying for a limited entry tag will use any points. Very glad to see States putting residents and the resource first.
The strange part is I think they left NR rifle OTC. I don’t hunt Colorado much so I could be wrong on this.

The OTC tags went up roughly $125 this year in CO, ive hunted OTC and draw units in Colorado and i can get on board with this. It will only make it better, most public is absolutely overrun in the OTC units.

I can't imagine how good Missouri would be if they had Iowa regulations. Was down there today and was thinking about that as usual. Unbelievably good habitat. Way better than Iowa.
15 miles for me to get in MO. In a half hour I could drive by 20 farms with far better make up than my area in iowa or my farm. My area smokes MO due to just the regs, clearly BUT it’s not nearly as good of habitat and break up. Obviously to all on here we know why.

It’s wasted potential!!! It’s like if Elon Musk got into Methamphetamines instead of innovative companies.
MO being so close to my home & I can almost see it in the distance or be there in a short drive…. The hundreds upon hundreds of miles of premier whitetail paradise needs common sense regs!!! I wonder if they could run a trial in a few counties to simply “mirror iowa regs”. Game over in 3-5 years. They would never go back to the old foolish ways. Better for EVERYONE!!!!!

A lot of states are getting a new generation in charge & residents of those states are saying “let’s improve things so hunting, access & the resource aren’t ruined!” I love seeing these efforts to rein things in after the pendulum has swung too far to “whatever u want!!! Let’s sell out!! $$$$$$”. Good for: CO, NE, UT & a few others I’ve heard of lately. Gonna be a lot more of this & the resource desperately needs it!!

I wouldn’t be opposed to a NR landowner getting an extra PP here. I co-own some farms with a buddy who lives out of state and him having to wait 5 yrs for a bow tag and not even being able to party hunt with me is very frustrating. He plans on moving down here eventually when his kids are out of school and he can retire but in the meantime he’s porked. Definitely a lot to think about and our future endeavors. At the least maybe some reduced fee doe tags for him to buy and help me thin some does out during gun seasons.
Think the solution might be a discounted doe tag. It’s a hot button I hear both sides of…
NR’s: “want easier way to shoot does off my farm”.
STATE OF IA: “less than 10% of antlerless tags are filled by NR’s”.
I get it though. Maybe half price doe tags or something? Bigger picture… If I were a NR- I’d buy in a premium state where I could get a tag every year. But that’s purely a “what id personally do” response. Some really good states with yearly tags are less $ price per acre to buy in as well. Totally get the frustration & there is no solution with ANY topics like this where all parties are gonna be completely happy.

15 miles for me to get in MO. In a half hour I could drive by 20 farms with far better make up than my area in iowa or my farm. My area smokes MO due to just the regs, clearly BUT it’s not nearly as good of habitat and break up. Obviously to all on here we know why.

It’s wasted potential!!! It’s like if Elon Musk got into Methamphetamines instead of innovative companies.
MO being so close to my home & I can almost see it in the distance or be there in a short drive…. The hundreds upon hundreds of miles of premier whitetail paradise needs common sense regs!!! I wonder if they could run a trial in a few counties to simply “mirror iowa regs”. Game over in 3-5 years. They would never go back to the old foolish ways. Better for EVERYONE!!!!!

A lot of states are getting a new generation in charge & residents of those states are saying “let’s improve things so hunting, access & the resource aren’t ruined!” I love seeing these efforts to rein things in after the pendulum has swung too far to “whatever u want!!! Let’s sell out!! $$$$$$”. Good for: CO, NE, UT & a few others I’ve heard of lately. Gonna be a lot more of this & the resource desperately needs it!!
Your comments on Missouri habitat quality and the potential there, reminded me of a comment by a close Iowa friend. He probably knows as much about whitetails as anyone in the state. He said if the rules were changed in Missouri, they would have the biggest bucks in the country.

Imagine this: combine the best of Iowa regulations with that of Ohio's, and do it in Missouri. Holy buckets!

(Ohio is one buck, December gun, but allows baiting and OTC tags for all)

Your comments on Missouri habitat quality and the potential there, reminded me of a comment by a close Iowa friend. He probably knows as much about whitetails as anyone in the state. He said if the rules were changed in Missouri, they would have the biggest bucks in the country.
December gun season and 1 buck limit period- no exceptions and Missouri would probably be the top state.

Feds don't own the deer or elk. The states do. So they get to regulate. Not really different than deer or elk on private property. Landowners don't get to make the rules, unless it's high fence and the state no longer owns the animals.

Kudos to Colorado.

If Missouri Residents had their way, they'd have Iowa's regs. Lot's of angry Missourians because of OOS hunters and land owners. Drove up land prices, filled public hunting areas. OTC tags are cheap compared to other states, although they do continue to raise them slowly.

Think the solution might be a discounted doe tag. It’s a hot button I hear both sides of…
NR’s: “want easier way to shoot does off my farm”.
STATE OF IA: “less than 10% of antlerless tags are filled by NR’s”.
I get it though. Maybe half price doe tags or something? Bigger picture… If I were a NR- I’d buy in a premium state where I could get a tag every year. But that’s purely a “what id personally do” response. Some really good states with yearly tags are less $ price per acre to buy in as well. Totally get the frustration & there is no solution with ANY topics like this where all parties are gonna be completely happy.
For sure we both could care less about shooting bucks, we’ve both taken our share over the years, but if he could get some reduced rate doe tags I’d be happy with that. I bet if they let NR landowners get those there would be plenty of them more than happy to shoot some does and help manage their farms. We talked about selling one of the farms here and buying one in Kansas but my buddy down there is saying it’s becoming a mess down there as well with all the parceling out and landowner tags if you own an 80. I would propose maybe nonresident landowners in Iowa can get a tag if they own a 120 or more that would keep some of these farms from getting split up as well I think. Or instead of the outfitters getting an extra 500 tags that they’ve been pushing for every year maybe they should have a separate pool for nonresident landowners so at least the wait would be more manageable like three years or so opposed to 5 plus for a bow tag that it’s built up to now because of all the 40’s and 80’s being sold. Something’s gotta give for sure. It can’t just be a black or white issue. Times are definitely changing everywhere. I think on a management side of things they’d be better off, giving nonresident landowners some tags opposed to all of them giving up and up their farms to cash out. That’s gonna make things way worse in the grand scheme of things IMO.

Top Bottom