Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Panted Some Cuttings

Terrific_tom

Planted Some Cuttings

I planted a bunch of cuttings from Big Rock Trees with help from my Wife and Son-in-Law this weekend. It is the 1st time for me planting cuttings so I hope I did it correctly. I planted Black Elderberry, Red Oiser Dogwood and Silky Dogwood. John threw in a few Willows also. I planted most of the elderberry along the property line to help with screening. The rest of the cuttings I planted in and along side of wet areas by food plots. The deer numbers by me are not very high so I didn't protect the cuttings. Time will tell if not protecting them was a bad decision.
IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work Tom! Those cuttings sure are easy to plant...keep us posted on how they do...:way:

I have a couple areas that look about like the background of your 3rd pic. It is pretty wet in the spring and then dries up a little bit later in the year, but its always damp. Nothing grows in it now but some type of grass about 12"-18" high.
Would Willow cuttings do well in that type of area? If so, could I just cut a bunch of my own and transplant them to this area? I have to admit, I dont know much about cuttings.
Thanks

The cuttings should do well anywhere there is ample moisture, they don't do well on high/dry ground so willows should work for you Joel...;)

Thanks Paul. The cuttings from BRT look pretty cheap but I might do a little reading and attempt to harvest my own from local sources. I have red dogwoods I could use and common river willows cant be too hard to grow I wouldnt think.

I have been planting cuttings for a few years with limited results, summer water table seems to be the biggest factor. The best help I have found ...google, Improving the establishment of willow cuttings in riparian areas montana nrcs, pretty much complete instructions and seems to work ! This year we planted 2200 shurbs , dogwood ,winterberry, wild plum, hazel nut and nine bark . Sprayed reed canery grass sod last fall , seems to be a huge advantage , shrubs and cuttings already look great . Also planted 3 plots with swede and kale and 4 clover plots, with much info gathered from this site , thanks to all!!

I have a couple areas that look about like the background of your 3rd pic. It is pretty wet in the spring and then dries up a little bit later in the year, but its always damp. Nothing grows in it now but some type of grass about 12"-18" high.
Would Willow cuttings do well in that type of area? If so, could I just cut a bunch of my own and transplant them to this area? I have to admit, I dont know much about cuttings.
Thanks

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, didnt have computer access for a few days. Paul pretty much answered your questions. This is my 1st attempt on planting cuttings so I am no expert. Big Rock Trees has a lot of great info on their website.

I have been planting cuttings for a few years with limited results, summer water table seems to be the biggest factor. The best help I have found ...google, Improving the establishment of willow cuttings in riparian areas montana nrcs, pretty much complete instructions and seems to work ! This year we planted 2200 shurbs , dogwood ,winterberry, wild plum, hazel nut and nine bark . Sprayed reed canery grass sod last fall , seems to be a huge advantage , shrubs and cuttings already look great . Also planted 3 plots with swede and kale and 4 clover plots, with much info gathered from this site , thanks to all!!

Thanks for the link. That link lead me to another that also had a lot of info.
http://plant-materials.nrcs.usda.gov/pubs/idpmctn7064.pdf

Top Bottom