Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

People hunting right along our fence lines

Justhunt87

PMA Member
On one of our farms they put there stands right on the fence line facing right onto our farm. I was thinking of a way to make them have to move what If I put a salt block right over the fence on our side then that person would be hunting over a salt block. Any ideas on this?

I'd ask em and tell em it bothers you, etc. See if it works. If no, for sure I'd look at plan B, whatever that is..... You put stand there too, etc. I'm not for being a jerk and PERSONALLY, if I know a neighbor doesn't hunt or care- I don't think fence hunting is that big of deal BUT if you know a neighbor is a hunter or hunters in there- I think it's rude at best. I'd start with the nice route and then escalate to things you can do (obviously keeping it legal) that make sense to help stop it.

If they are sitting on the fenceline shooting into yours then they are illegal already, doubt a salt block would make a difference. I would definitely have it posted for no tresspasing/hunting. Maybe put a trail cam close by to prove that they are hunting those stands? The get the dnr involves? But unless you can prove that they have shot at or killed something on your side then there's nothing the dnr will do.

I like to hunt fence lines, but if I am going to hunt along there I make sure to move my stand back far enough so it is apparent I am only hunting my property.

BOWDUDE

If they are sitting on the fenceline shooting into yours then they are illegal already, doubt a salt block would make a difference. I would definitely have it posted for no tresspasing/hunting. Maybe put a trail cam close by to prove that they are hunting those stands? The get the dnr involves? But unless you can prove that they have shot at or killed something on your side then there's nothing the dnr will do.

I agree. First thing I'd do is make sure fence is completely posted per the law. Then I'd strategically place 2 or 3 trail cams in obvious places where the hunters could not miss their presence. Just get cheap dummy ones if you're worried about theft.

I'd also move them frequently. That way they'd know you are going there regularly and may prefer not to hunt where they know you've been walking around leaving your scent.

You could also try hanging some cheap stands or even worse a ground blind of your own right there too. This has worked for me on public land. Main thing is make sure the guy knows you are pressuring the area. I personally hate the idea of hunting an area where I am unsure of what other hunter pressure is happening when I am not there. You want to put that in this guy's head.

Last edited:
I would talk to them first. If that doesn't resolve your issues then do what you've gotta do within law. I kinda have the same thoughts as Sligh. I don't think its a big deal hunting a fence line. They are great travel routes. However, if its pretty obvious they are shooting across the line or interfering with your hunting then its time to do something about it.

I think someone on here once mentioned talking the other hunter and suggesting a no hunt zone so far from each side of the property line. Always thought that was a good idea.

Fence sitters

I asked this question in the habitat section as I found a ladder stand that is literally one foot off the fence line of new farm and seeing how it is positioned the only good shoots are on my land...Mainly looking for habitat ideas to block the trail.

I will talk to the adjacent landowner, but if the stand does not move I will:

Block/divert the trail so the deer do not go by the stand. Build the fence higher at that point so they don't jump it near the stand. ??

In Minnesota I saw a guy stack large bales on the line so high that the neighbor couldn't shoot out of this box stand into his alfalfa field, classic:way:

I agree with all. I call them 'Fence Reachers'.
They always seem the grass is greener on the otherside of the fence. We had a problem this year. Dad seen all of his cows running out of one pasture into another when he got up there to check on them there was three guys hugging our fence line. There in a 40 acre chisel plowed corn field with three trees on the fenceline no bigger than a beer can. Dad asked are yas blocking for someone? No were just sitting. This pasture there looking into has two small ravines. The closest is 100 yds. Dad told them no shooting across the fence. They ended up leaving as Dad left. So you know what they were up to. The next day Dad posted No Tresspassing signs up along this fenceline.
It sucks and each year with the deer numbers down it seems the fence reachers will get worse.

On my old property-actually had the neighbors sit on my fence...and saw off trees ON MY SIDE so they could shoot into my field :0

No proof "they" did it, and to make matters worse, had a salt block under the stand on their side. Called CO and with no proof to cutting, and WITHOUT CATCHING THEM HUNTING over the block (no law that its there as long as you have no weapon and sitting over it), my hands were tied.

First, talk to him or if you feel its a waste of time, hinge cut that fenceline, build brush piles, whatever. Otherwise you are in for a big headache IMO.

Had a similar situation where someone put a ladder stand on the fence line with the platform resting on a tree on my side but facing the feild on the other propery. It angered me since most of the deer movement was in the timber and was a great staging area.

I hung a no tresspassing sign on the ladder steps then hung an old hang-on stand 12 yards away leaving no way to get to the stand easily. A week later I had a nasty letter in a zip lock bag telling me how rude I was to hang a stand that close to theirs. Called me every name in the book and was dumb enough to leave their phone number.

Needless to say we had an interesting converstaion, when all said and done the guy moved the stand and invited me to go goose hunting.....I of course declined, never seen a stand any where near there again!

I hunt one farm thar is 180 acres bordered on three sides by private property and one side by my family 90 acres. My uncle owns the 180 and I have sole hunting rights. Now for the kicker. I also have nonexclusive permission for all the property that borders the 180. Pressure.....there are 7 people hunting the fenceline bordering the 180... NOW THATS PRESSURE. In the 180, I have a 150 min rule or VERY MATURE DEER. In the past three years 9 bucks from 145-198 have been shot on said fencelines. Including a 3 1/3 yr old 191" non typ. this year and a 3 1/2 yr. old 165" last year. Potential for massive results just gets erases. I have 19 stands up inside 180, and there are 9 fence pushers stands within 15 yards of property fence. Very disheartening to climb into a stand only to have some a-ho come stumbeling in an hour later....Yep, I feel your pain-----but it can and will get worse. Try to get along and coordinate hunting scheduals.....that's the only way for you to enjoy YOUR HUNT. Find out who they are,when they are going in and hunt only when they are not there. YOUR QUALITY of hunt will be much better. Cameras really slow up the trespass encroachment and may keep your spot clean and undisturbed. Good luck.

this app is awesome IW

I hunt one farm thar is 180 acres bordered on three sides by private property and one side by my family 90 acres. My uncle owns the 180 and I have sole hunting rights. Now for the kicker. I also have nonexclusive permission for all the property that borders the 180. Pressure.....there are 7 people hunting the fenceline bordering the 180... NOW THATS PRESSURE. In the 180, I have a 150 min rule or VERY MATURE DEER. In the past three years 9 bucks from 145-198 have been shot on said fencelines. Including a 3 1/3 yr old 191" non typ. this year and a 3 1/2 yr. old 165" last year. Potential for massive results just gets erases. I have 19 stands up inside 180, and there are 9 fence pushers stands within 15 yards of property fence. Very disheartening to climb into a stand only to have some a-ho come stumbeling in an hour later....Yep, I feel your pain-----but it can and will get worse. Try to get along and coordinate hunting scheduals.....that's the only way for you to enjoy YOUR HUNT. Find out who they are,when they are going in and hunt only when they are not there. YOUR QUALITY of hunt will be much better. Cameras really slow up the trespass encroachment and may keep your spot clean and undisturbed. Good luck.

this app is awesome IW

Wow, that is crazy! I don't know your budget but I would consider a higher fence or some major habitat work to keep the deer on your farm. I know some of it is out of your control, but maybe Dbltree can help, he might have a solution (habitat wise)...

Put a few old power poles about 10 or so yards apart and put up wooden snow fence at the height of their stand. They can watch all the deer but no way to shoot onto your side.:D

Poor amoniaon the ground to detour the deer out of the area

Be careful doing this as you can be charged with interfering with the others hunt, Lee and Tiff are in hot water for doing this type of thing. They hung dryer sheets down a fence line to detour the from going in and out of the neighbors timber, they cant fathom someone shooting one of THEIR DEER. The neighbor took video and photos and posted them on Facebook and it went crazy. I would say just talk to the guy and make sure they dont shoot over the fence, I personally hunt several fence lines as they make good funnels but always am facing so my shots are all on my side or I am back far enough from the fence. There right ways and wrong ways to hunt fencelines and it is best to work those details out with each other.

I kind of get a kick out of some of these post of people freaking out that some one is hunting along the fence lines and it seems like they are always appalled that someone might shoot one of THEIR DEER. The truth is there is and always will be someone hunting on the neighboring property regardless how much land is owned there is always borders and the deer will always cross those borders so I suggest instead of worrying and giving your self ulcers I would just talk with the neighboring hunter and work these pety issues out.

The biggest problem I have with the fencesitters is 9 times out of 10 after being shot and often poorly the deer go into my sanctuarys with the hunter wandering around looking for it, without calling me. I hate Iowas right of recovery law, they should have to at least contact you or the CO. Shotgun hunters use the law all the time to get deer out of posted land.

I think in MI you have to get permission. I had an open area on my side of prop line, opened up into neighbors field. You could see and shoot right into my prop. When bought it, first thing did was plant cedars along open area on my side. Now nice wall of cedars. Can't see into my area anymore...

Be careful doing this as you can be charged with interfering with the others hunt, Lee and Tiff are in hot water for doing this type of thing. They hung dryer sheets down a fence line to detour the from going in and out of the neighbors timber, they cant fathom someone shooting one of THEIR DEER. The neighbor took video and photos and posted them on Facebook and it went crazy. I would say just talk to the guy and make sure they dont shoot over the fence, I personally hunt several fence lines as they make good funnels but always am facing so my shots are all on my side or I am back far enough from the fence. There right ways and wrong ways to hunt fencelines and it is best to work those details out with each other.

I kind of get a kick out of some of these post of people freaking out that some one is hunting along the fence lines and it seems like they are always appalled that someone might shoot one of THEIR DEER. The truth is there is and always will be someone hunting on the neighboring property regardless how much land is owned there is always borders and the deer will always cross those borders so I suggest instead of worrying and giving your self ulcers I would just talk with the neighboring hunter and work these pety issues out.

Wow, that could really give them a bad name depending on how it all shakes down. Its easier to work with your neighbors than against them. Both sides benefit too....some neighbors will just never see that tho.

Last edited:
Top Bottom