Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pike County Illinois land auction

[ QUOTE ]
thought maybe you could get a deal on land at an auction

[/ QUOTE ]

They auction a lot of ground in my area and it usually goes pretty high.

You might have the winning bid...think it's yours and they'll say it's not enough and start over...
smirk.gif

An auction is just that though...every once in awhile a deal comes along.

More often it's "heat of the moment" bidding...auctioneer pressuring the bidders which is unlike working thru a realtor and making rational offers.

[ QUOTE ]
You might have the winning bid...think it's yours and they'll say it's not enough and start over...

[/ QUOTE ]
I have seen that a lot. I watched one piece of ground by a buddies house go up for auction 3 times before they accepted the price.

I'm from Pike County and the land prices are unbelievable. Everybody and their dogs come to the land auctions and they don't really go any cheaper than going through a realator. The ground that is up for auction is not really what i would call great hunting ground, but these days great hunting ground is hard to come by. And besides i think Pike County hunting is going in the crapper. Way to many small parcels of ground and everybody hunts next to each other. Plus, it seems that hunting community is becoming more unfriendly. Everybody is so protective of their ground that when you even look at their ground they get defensive. I don't hardly hunt there anymore, mainly because all my spots were sold and i don't own my own ground.

Yeah, good luck getting land cheap down there, especially when North American Whitetail runs a big PIKE COUNTY USA story that talks about it being the deer mecca of the US. From what I have heard and read it is getting pretty overrun with outfitters (something like 50% of the land in that county is not leased). I talked with three gentlemen last year from New Hampshire, they were hunting with a different outfitter in central IL, they said they had hunted Pike the two years before and the camp they stayed in had 87 hunters in it the week they were there, this is kinda ridiculous if you ask me. Although 2 of the 3 were successful in taking good bucks they said they wouldn't go back again because the ground looked like cattle had been running it due to all the human traffic.

I say let all those out of state boys go down there and keep paying 5000 for a hunt, that way they keep the hush on the rest of the counties in the state
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I say let all those out of state boys go down there and keep paying 5000 for a hunt, that way they keep the hush on the rest of the counties in the state
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree wholeheartedly. The problem is like you said, the hunters who go down there are realizing that the hype surrounding Pike County is just that. There are big bucks to be found all across the state and you can almost see the $ signs in some of the landowners eyes when they talk about a lease or an outfitter coming in. I have got a landowner next to a place I hunt that leases his 400 acres to a group of guys out of Chicago for $10,000 / year and this property might have a total of 50 acres of timber on it.
confused.gif
We also got investors that are buying up farms without ever stepping foot on them. I have been told by a few local real estate agents that they get calls from people from the city wanting to buy a farm, and why, because they are selling their farms by the square foot in some spots and gobbling up stuff farther west. I don't even want to imagine what it will be like in 10 more years.
frown.gif

Not really advertising here, but I just happen to know of a tract of land in / near Ringold/ Taylor county that has some pretty awsome hunting on it. Its 180 acres with about 45 acres in timber. The rest is pasture and ponds. It is surronded by a huge CRP feilds, other timbers and a large sized river. Takes in income of close to 10k a year. We have some trail cam pics of some mosters, not to mention killing a few good ones off of this place. I bet you could talk the guy into taking 1800 acre and may even sell on contract to the right person.

I plan on having topos and pics, etc at the deer classic here in a couple of weeks. If intrested PM me before then so we can skip the realtor fees. Otherwise we plan on hunting down a realtor at the show to list it for us.

I meant to state that as acreage - not actual whole farms. Maybe it sounds more economically feasible for some developers to say $3.44 a sq. ft vs. say $150,000 per acre. Yes, it all adds up the same, but it is happening.

[ QUOTE ]
Malarky!!! NO farms are being sold by the Square FOOT!!

[/ QUOTE ] Beg to differ with you, but I did live in Illinois, and yes, they sell land by the square foot, matter of fact, one of our growers at the service company I worked at had 200 acres (This was close to residential) that sold for $10.50 a square foot. Yeah, thats 457,380 dollars an acre. Not all sold for that, just highway frontage, but the rest sold for around 5.00-7.50 dollars a square foot. It is really crazy in Illinois right now with land. Farmers over there find it hard to buy new land, that is, the ones who are close to any larger city. Also anyone who travels from Illinois to St. Charles, MO on interstate 70, there is a billboard that has land for sale for 180 dollars a square foot.

I live in northern Illinois also, not too far from Muzzy, and I GUARANTEE there are farms in near the westernmost suburbs that are being sold by the square foot. These are in near Sugar Grove, Hinkley, Big Rock, etc. It is absolutely ridiculous.

Top Bottom