Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Plans for next year?

bjkpharmd

What is everyone going to do different for next year?
I'm thinking more turnips and some extra chainsaw work on the edges of the fields. Also got a couple places ready this fall for some spring alfalfa to be seeded.

I'm planting about 6 acres of beans so I can drill native grasses into the bean stubble. Planting some alfalfa strips along the timber edges. Prepared an acre for a cedar thicket planting this spring, Every year I plant oak and fruit trees in various places on the farm. NRCS is redoing the wetlands on the west side of my property. I think that is it
confused.gif
I've got alot on my plate that needs to be done this year, now I just need to find the time to finish it all
grin.gif

Pharmer,
just curious what are you going to do with the field edges, cut trees down for cover etc. Just wondering, I always like to hear what else I could do to improve the ground.

Different for QDM? Well, for starters, two places that I hunt have too many does so I plan to put more effort into taking out some of them in those specific places. Conversely, a couple spots have a population on the thin side so the does will get a free pass there.

My favorite spot was logged this fall. It really didn’t hurt a thing but the canopy opened up a quite a bit in a spot or two so I am thinking about putting in a small food plot in the middle of the woods there before the new tree growth takes over. Good idea or bad?

Start my own pine tree seedlings rather than buying all of them from DNR nursery. Also, plant a few hundred acorns, walnuts and hickory nuts here and there and everywhere for the future generations of wildlife.

Maybe see if part of the farm would qualify for the CRP farmable wetlands or flood prone bottom land.

Plant some spots into native prairie grasses.

Those are the different things. Some of the same things include, 1) shooting only mature deer and 2) talking to the neighbors about the benefits of practicing QDM and 3) planting lots and lots of trees purchased from the DNR nursery and 4) continue my battle of cleaning out the invasive species plants and trees at my place and some of the other places that I hunt (a bigger job than I ever thought it would be but I am gaining control).

I'm going to be doing some chainsaw work myself. In my case I'm going to clearcut some areas to encourage "brush". In areas that I have opened up in the past I'm going to fertilize the blackberry canes that have sprouted. It's amazing how much the deer "graze" on those things after a night in the corn field!
I hope to plant more red cedar along fencelines to help discourage poaching.

Besides the few hundred oaks and cedars I have ordered to plant...I have plans to put in a few dozen apple trees.
3 acres of corn and 3 acres of sorghum.
Lots more clover and turnips than last year.Especially more turnips.

I have plans to burn about 6 acres of NWSG. I also have a 9 acre piece that I'm going to burn, spray with RU, then have it drilled with switchgrass.

Plant 100 swamp white oaks, 100 red cedars, and 100 plums.

I have prepared 3 half acre spots for imperial clover this spring. I'll be spraying, broadcasting, then cultipacking it in.

I have 6 apple trees to plant as well. 2 arkansas blacks, 2 braeburns, and 2 transluscent crabapples for pollination.

When all that is done, I'll do about 5 acres of sorghum/sunflowers for the pheasants.

I am going to add another acre of PowerPlant. The deer really pounded it this year and now all the sorghum is gone. I also enjoyed it as the birds really loved the sunflower seeds and sorghum seed in it, made the hours pass by easier in stand. Also more turnips/rape for the late season.

I have 14.5 acres of tall NWSG mix going in.
Need to burn my 2.5 acres of switchgrass.
Putting in another 1 to 1.5 acre foodplot.
May try to plant another 100 red cedars.
Some chainsaw work for bedding areas.
Continue the battle with Osage Orange.

Lots to do, but it beats golf.

Kill 4 more does through late anterless, frost seed 14 acres of cp25 tall grass and forb mix for CRP program, edge feather several timber stands, seed an additional acre of clover and plant100 hybrid willow, 100 hybrid popular and 200 red cedar in a slug deflector planting on the crp ridge on the 80. seed additional acre of green browse at the house. construct a dry creek crossing on the new place to a 2.7 acre field that is fallow and establish green browse there also. Plow and plant 2 acres of green browse on my buddies 80. Roundup and strip disc as much brome as possible in key areas of the farms for improved bedding and browse. Follow up with NRCS on quail strips, stream buffer and cp22 signups and hopefully install this spring. Lucky for me my tractor is green.

Top Bottom