Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

POST for Grass:

loneranger

I know POST is for grasses in your clover. I have a new plot, planted last year. Grew good but got the usual grass, and foxtail in it. I kept it cut good, but other than Post, what can I spray the grass with? I only have an acre, and I bet the Post is pricey $. Is there any other grass-icide, cheaper I can use, and where can I get it? I know this has been answered somewhere already, but I am asking it again. This new season,
Thank You.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: loneranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know POST is for grasses in your clover. I have a new plot, planted last year. Grew good but got the usual grass, and foxtail in it. I kept it cut good, but other than Post, what can I spray the grass with? I only have an acre, and I bet the Post is pricey $. Is there any other grass-icide, cheaper I can use, and where can I get it? I know this has been answered somewhere already, but I am asking it again. This new season,
Thank You. </div></div>

Select is the only other grass herbicide that will work in clover (so far as I know) and while it works better it is even more pricey then Poast Plus.

One option is to split some with someone but if if foxtail is the main problem then clipping will most likely take care of it.

Foxtail is more of an annual that pops upwhenever you stir up the soil or kill competition but once you have your clover established the foxtail shouldn't come back.

Grasses like brome or fescue are another story and it's imprtant to get a good kill on them with Roundup before hand or paying the price with expensive grass herbicides later.

Assure is the same type of product. Assure II I've read the label a few times, and can't find much on it about clover. I will know more about it tomorrow, but it cost less than Post or Select 2ec, Select Max.

thanks,,what prices are you talking about, with these, post plus, or assure ? I have a variety of clovers planted all together, and where do you purchase these? From seed and fert dealers, farm supplies?

Any chemical dealer will have/can get Post plus, select, or Assure. Just based off of prices that I work with, Assure is the cheapest of them. I have alot of experience with Assure, and it works great, but like I said, I will find out more on it tomorrow to make sure it will still be within the label to use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Assure is the same type of product. Assure II I've read the label a few times, and can't find much on it about clover. I will know more about it tomorrow, but it cost less than Post or Select 2ec, Select Max. </div></div>

Let us know for sure nanny, I read the label also and couldn't find anything about clover or alfalfa. I'm also aware that many herbicide companies don't label for little used crops.

I'm all about "cheaper" though! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Any farm fertilizer supply will have most herbicides loneranger. In my area Golden Furrow is just one of many suppliers but I'm not sure of specific ag supply dealers around Ottumwa.

Pursuit, Newpath and Slay would work well in Clover and Alfalfa
Pursuit $16-18 per acre
Newpath not sure on price
Slay Herbicide $44.95 per acre $$$

Just an update on the Assure, the rep said alfalfa was labeled, page 2 of the label I posted, but no test have really been done on clover, there for not labeled.

starting a new food plot this spring, i talked to a clover dealer at the ia whitetail show, he told me to nuk the ground with round up, wait a few weeks a see if any thing comes up if so, do it again , but not as strong. then plant my clover. i been told to use 2-4-D aminne later in the spring after the foxtail, and grass show up. the clover is hardy enough to come back, it may brown the leafs, but wont kill it. 2-3 oz to the gallon, spray when temps are 70-80 though. try a small spot first to see what happens, you can by it at any elevator, good luck.

I would not recommend spraying 24d on clover. At young growth stage, it doesn't take much 24d at all to kill clover and 2-3 oz to the gallon of water is a pretty stout dose. That would be equal to a quart to the acre of 24D, with will totally nuke a clover, soybean, alfalfa, or any broadleaves for that matter. Also, the 24d will not control grasses, just broadleafs.

These herbasides, Pursuit,NewPath,Slay,,so much $ per acre, but how much per gal.? I have heard can't just buy a gal, or small amount. I only have about an acre of clover to spray.

Select, Select Max, and assure come in Gallon jugs. The best thing to do is try to find someone who will need some as well, and split the jug.

It is in the makings of Select 2ec and Assure to come out in quart containers. Seems alot of people have taken interest in fencerow cleaning, some use it for landscaping, and other interest have brought the companies to package in smaller amounts.

Top Bottom