Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Prescribed Burn - Backpack Blower Recommendations

Phantom

PMA Member
We are planing to do some prescribed burns in the timber this spring and will be prepping fire breaks. We only have hand held leaf blowers now so have been looking at backpack versions. Looking at Stihl and some others but don’t know how big of one to get. Any recommendations for what works well?

We have stihl blowers at work. I work on them and use them. They are great!!! I’d recommend the BR 800. They move a ton of air compared the the 600 or 700, I think close to 30% more. Also, the 800 has a chest buckle and a waist strap, which helps distribute the weight well and keeps it from slipping off your shoulders.

Another vote for the Stihl 800. Pay more upfront now for a commercial grade piece of equipment that will last a LONG time. You will find yourself using it more often than you think (yard work, moving snow, cleaning/drying vehicles/equipment, etc.) and it saves a lot of time vs other blowers.

I ran stihl for many miles of firebreaks.
But have started to buy a few of the redmax blowers. They have been bullet proof and start every time without any issues.

I personally have the 800 C-E and paid the extra money for the MUCH BETTER comfort (soft backpack shoulder straps, back cushion, and padded hip strap) and adjustable telescoping nozzle over the 800. The "side start" handle is nice but not as important as the first two options I mentioned for me personally. I've had 0 issues over the past 2 years and would buy the exact same blower again if I was in the market. If you don't like Stihl or want another option, like mentioned above, Redmax is excellent as well.

To offer a different option...I have a Troy Built 220 mph and 600 cfm. Clearly not as good as the Stihl 800 (240 mph and 900 cfm) but also about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost. I have done half dozen burns with it and it has been absolutely fine and that includes a couple hairy situations it "interrupted". I have had it for about 10 years and never had any issues with it. I didn't buy it with burns in mind. I lived in a house with a crazy amount of mature trees. Leaf pickup was a massive pain for a few several days every fall during bow season no less. I did zeo research (not like me) I simply got frustrated with my handheld blower one day, drove to Farm and Fleet and bought the biggest one they had. For doing one burn a year I'd buy this again for $250 rather than a $650 Stihl, but knowing it is not as good.

I’m have an echo that i have been really happy with. Not sure of the model but it is one of their big ones. My experience…i went from a handheld to backpack. In every way (almost) the backpack is much better. HOWEVER, i have been thinking of adding back a handheld. I always have my leaf blower with me while doing burns, but often times don’t use it until i need it. I may even wear it on my back. For this purpose a backpack is kinda a pain because i have to remove it, start it, and put it back on my back. A handheld is much quicker/easier to fire up and blow in the event the fire start becoming a problem.

20240307_130210.jpg

I have had this ^^ Stihl backpack for several years. I have been very happy with it.

Anyone ran one ran a Husqvarna 150BT ? Pretty good deal right now. Afraid it wouldn't be strong enough...

I do around 30ac of crp type burns a year and REALLY would be nice to get a blower. Have been lucky without one so far.

Balling slightly on a budget & willing to admit the BR 800 is a little out of my price range for what I'd use. I see Troy Built tossed around some, any other suggestions? Whats the min MPH & CFM to work well?

Anyone ran one ran a Husqvarna 150BT ? Pretty good deal right now. Afraid it wouldn't be strong enough...

I do around 30ac of crp type burns a year and REALLY would be nice to get a blower. Have been lucky without one so far.

Balling slightly on a budget & willing to admit the BR 800 is a little out of my price range for what I'd use. I see Troy Built tossed around some, any other suggestions? Whats the min MPH & CFM to work well?
I would look at Facebook Market Place (or something similar) to find a used quality name brand one (Stihl/RedMax) that fits in the budget... especially if you know how to clean a small engine carburetor (which is the #1 reason for the "non-running" or "poor running" ones).

I would look at Facebook Market Place (or something similar) to find a used quality name brand one (Stihl/RedMax) that fits in the budget... especially if you know how to clean a small engine carburetor (which is the #1 reason for the "non-running" or "poor running" ones).
Just checked FB and there are quite a few Stihl br 600 - 800 in the $200-$400 range. I think you would be happier with a used br 700 (900 cfm) for the same $300 you would spend on your above blower (765 cfm)... but that is just my 2 cents. As for the mph vs. cfm, that is a balancing act. High mph (like your above blower) will work well on DRY grass and leaves. High cfm will give you a bigger footprint for the area being blown AND will move things and keep them moving... like sticks and WET leaves (more like a handheld rake).

Just checked FB and there are quite a few Stihl br 600 - 800 in the $200-$400 range. I think you would be happier with a used br 700 (900 cfm) for the same $300 you would spend on your above blower (765 cfm)... but that is just my 2 cents. As for the mph vs. cfm, that is a balancing act. High mph (like your above blower) will work well on DRY grass and leaves. High cfm will give you a bigger footprint for the area being blown AND will move things and keep them moving... like sticks and WET leaves (more like a handheld rake).
good info to know, thanks!

Top Bottom