Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pretty Boy Improvements

Always had a few issues with the Pretty Boy's head being mostly white....so I took matters into my own hands for this season to see what kind of reactions I could get out of this decoy now. Before I had sub par reactions and a few great ones...but in my eyes I've never seen a bird with this much white on his head. Went on google and kind of confirmed what I was thinking and went on to buy the paint and make the adjustments. Let me know what you guys think? Also I know I've heard others doing this, so I wondered what their experiences were with the changes....and your ideas with if I should change anything before season rolls around :way:

Before:

482793_566665881259_138801477_31300208_1675809087_n.jpg

After: (paint is flat colored now, looks like it has a shine from still being wet when the picture was taken)

483077_566665926169_138801477_31300211_209575305_n.jpg

Before:

481963_566665896229_138801477_31300209_1773937858_n.jpg

After:

480753_566665906209_138801477_31300210_1337880344_n.jpg

Looks good to me. I had a lot better success when I painted my pretty boys head red versus white. It really seems to tick them off.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Looks great. I just put a real beard on mine and will be painting the head with more red here sometime soon. Any suggestions as what type of paint to use?

Looks great. I just put a real beard on mine and will be painting the head with more red here sometime soon. Any suggestions as what type of paint to use?

To be honest I just bought a cheap art acrylic. I know that it will chip more than likely, but touch ups here and there will keep it looking fresh. The paint cost like $2 bucks and I would rather do it with a brush over taping off and doing it with spray paint.

If you rather go the spray route, I would go with Krylon Fusion. I've used it on plastics before and that stuff is the real deal.

Great Job! Now you need to paint the wings and put a real beard on him!:way:

picture.php

picture.php

I thought about painting the "yellow" sections of the wings....after seeing yours I think that made my decision. As for the real beard what did you use for it? I have extra real beards laying around but I dont think they will hold out real well in the elements.

To be honest I just bought a cheap art acrylic. I know that it will chip more than likely, but touch ups here and there will keep it looking fresh. The paint cost like $2 bucks and I would rather do it with a brush over taping off and doing it with spray paint.

If you rather go the spray route, I would go with Krylon Fusion. I've used it on plastics before and that stuff is the real deal.

Cool thanks, I'll just go with some red acrylic from wal-mart.

The real wings on the PB look awesome, I'll have to give that a try if I bag a gobbler this year.

Here are my custom decoys. The strutter is a Red Head Strutter, the jake is a Pretty Boy JR, and the hens are deltas

picture.php

Here is the Flock in my yard.

picture.php

Here is the strutter and 1 hen at 5 yards!

All real feathers ALL cut and glued on 1 by 1. The strutter took about 5 hours from start to finish! The semi strutter was about 3 hours and the hens were around 2 - 2 1/2 hours.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Here are my custom decoys. The strutter is a Red Head Strutter, the jake is a Pretty Boy JR, and the hens are deltas

picture.php

Here is the Flock in my yard.

picture.php

Here is the strutter and 1 hen at 5 yards!

Man, those are sharp! Not sure I'd have the patience to do that, but they look awesome. :way:

IMO id rather go for the real skins or flocked, over color. My buddys down in Missouri killed8 toms over the king strut which is flocked. I think nothing about it resembles a "real" Turkey. But thats what makes Turkey hunting so fun, hands down the dumbest smartest animal to hunt. One moment their unkillable then the next day there sprinting into your spread. I mean heck im pretty sure guy on here last yr killed on with a budlight box and a real tail fan.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom