Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Propane shortage

How feasible would it be for a guy to build his own boiler and have someone install it?

I am not saying it cannot be done, because it sure can. But DIY's and boilers could lead to an appearance on the nightly newscast, if you know what I mean.

I would not recommend a DIY project on a boiler build unless you are a qualified engineer or have someone involved that is.

Also, if anyone needs free firewood in SE Iowa, just let me know. You cut and haul though.

They even come in camo!! :D

picture.php

Outdoor wood boilers like this are very common here. I have neighbors that have had their for 20 plus years with no probs.
Water ph is something to watch as the pipes inside the Firebox can rust out.

Global warming is measured over a span of time not just a year or two of changes. Can't stand Al Gore, and know a couple good science teachers who can't either, but they say global warming is and has happened.

Global warming is a hoax. The scientists who invented the term have even now admitted to it. There were actually talks of lawsuits against it. Its pretty serious stuff. Its been called the crime of the century. Forbes has a pretty good article on it.

Global warming is measured over a span of time not just a year or two of changes. Can't stand Al Gore, and know a couple good science teachers who can't either, but they say global warming is and has happened.

Exactly, those that comment otherwise don't really understand what GLOBAL warming is

Al Gore

Exactly, those that comment otherwise don't really understand what GLOBAL warming is

Well, bkcrrtnps....It was a joke, so I guess I don't think a comment like being uneducated is necessary? I'll put my education against your education any day!!

Facts are Al Gore made predictions, such as the polar ice caps will be gone in 5 years (made the prediction in 2008).

He said...We need fertility management to slow down global warming.

You can't make this stuff up, it's a joke, it warrants a joke!!

I got the joke... even made me laugh a bit!

Propane shortage to boilers to global warming. Thread evolution at its best!

Whats everyone have to say about evolution!? (Kidding, dont answer that)

Daver, I am no engineer. Was just curious because I have never seen one up close. To guys with boilers, what is the cost of the boiler vs. getting it all hooked up (installed)?

I know this isnt the classified section. But for anyone looking for something extra to fight this cold weather, I have a nice wood burning stove just sitting in my garage right now. Its a Nice stove, adjustable heat, glass door.. id take $200.

pic? I have one, but it's 5 years old, was a orcheln cheapy.

When it comes to the Weather, I read an article back in the late 1980's before, "Global Warming", got to be a buzz word. It said the earth had been in a moderate climate mode for the past 20 yrs, and was heading into an extreme Mode for the next 50 yrs. growing things would become difficult. It did not place any blame. Just stated the fact. I sure think they were right! Weather now, gets stuck in Extremes. Drought words are finally appearing on the local farm shows again. Weather pattern is still dry for the central corn belt. As far as Human pollution affecting climate. It really doesn't matter. Just put your nose down by your exhaust pipe. Nasty right? Just run your vehicle with the door shut. Pass out time right? Humans produce crap,,in many forms, and it behooves us to keep things as clean as possible, Global Warming or No Global Warming!:)

Daver, I am no engineer. Was just curious because I have never seen one up close. To guys with boilers, what is the cost of the boiler vs. getting it all hooked up (installed)?

I know of guys making their own boiler systems but I'm not sure its something I would want tackle. The homemade ones I have seen were pretty crude and un-insulated, making them not very efficient. Simple plumbing/electrical knowledge is all you really need to install one like mine. I think they were going to ding me $500 or so to install it so I did it myself. The hot water manifold was probably the most p.i.t.a. part of it all. Mine is a non pressurized system so there is no danger of explosion or steam burn like the systems most people are used to.

I got the joke... even made me laugh a bit!

Propane shortage to boilers to global warming. Thread evolution at its best!

Whats everyone have to say about evolution!? (Kidding, dont answer that)

Meh, we do need to control population growth, especially amongst the poor. WE all end up paying for them anyway. Reducing population would mean less demand for food, energy, and land.......I'm down with that.

The people who had my place before me installed the boiler and they put that PEX tubing floor heat in my 860 sq ft living room. I haven't had the luxury of using that part of it yet though because they put too thick of padding and carpet down and they said it was keeping the heat from radiating properly, so they disconnected it. My goal this summer is to rip up the carpet and clean off the sealer and everything and try the acid concrete stain. Then I'll be able to hook up that floor heat and it should be nice! I cant wait.

Heat rises whether there is carpet on the floor or not......

You might not feel it as well with your feet, but I'd hook it back up for a test drive before ripping out the carpet.

I wish I had a more updated wood burner like yours.. I have the smaller Hardy boiler. It is still pretty awesome.. It sure goes through the wood though. I couldn't even guess how many cords I go through because as fast as it burns, it just takes too much time to neatly stack it. I usually start burning in mid-late October and have a pretty big pile, but I always have to end up cutting more through out the winter and I usually burn into April also. The people who had my place before me installed the boiler and they put that PEX tubing floor heat in my 860 sq ft living room. I haven't had the luxury of using that part of it yet though because they put too thick of padding and carpet down and they said it was keeping the heat from radiating properly, so they disconnected it. My goal this summer is to rip up the carpet and clean off the sealer and everything and try the acid concrete stain. Then I'll be able to hook up that floor heat and it should be nice! I cant wait.

Air - do you know if they put the proper insulation BELOW the concrete with the PEX in it? I have seen this mistake made. If you don't put insulation below the concrete then you will lose a lot of heat that goes down into the soil.

Top Bottom