Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Proposal Debates

Re: Proposal Debates / Resident Deer changes

[ QUOTE ]

From the proposal: [ QUOTE ]
Paid antlerless-deer-only licenses for the early muzzleloader season can only be purchased
by hunters who have already purchased one of the 7,500 paid statewide any-deer licenses or
obtained a free any-deer licenses for the early muzzleloader season.

[/ QUOTE ]
Last year I tried to buy county antlerless tags for early muzzleloader season. Since I received a landowners any sex early muzzleloader tag, the DNR said I wasn't eligible for more tags. I contacted a few DNR officials and voiced my displeasure, seeing as how I was told when I had the depredation officer out that a person should hammer the does early in the season as they are the local resident population. So I'm glad to see they have proposed changing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got a response to my email telling them that I like the early muzzleloader change and the response was that they have found out it can't be done! Something about free tags can't be "linked" to paid tags. Bummer!

[ QUOTE ]
I am somewhat disappointed that they are looking to drop Cedar and Johnson Counties from the late antlerless only season. From the number of deer I am seeing, I feel this is premature.

[/ QUOTE ]

The (preliminary) response to this was that the antlerless tags were selling out during shotgun season, so no need for a late antlerless, but they will keep the November season. There was talk of spot light surveys not being completed so things are kind of up in the air on this topic. I guess no late antlerless might protect a few shed out bucks, though I didn't ever shoot one during late antlerless.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't able to attend the ICN meetings

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I miss them too? When were they?

The 'Bonker

[/ QUOTE ]

April 19th...

If you get an early season landowner MZ tag...your not able to get depredation tags??
confused.gif

In other words...you have your choice...hunt only does via depredation or...hunt for a buck and buy antlerless tags.

The whole depredation thing kinda seems like a sham anymore........
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If you get an early season landowner MZ tag...your not able to get depredation tags??

[/ QUOTE ]

What I was trying to say is that a resident can buy an any sex early muzzleloader license and buy as many county quota antlerless tags as they see fit. If a landowner gets a free any sex early muzzleloader license, they can not buy county quota antlerless tags. Seems kind of whacked to me! Last year I "used" all my landowner tags on early muzzleloader (except for one late antlerless only). I'll most likely do the same this year, but buy more county tags for shotgun/archery, etc.

I could get depredation tags, but the smallest group is 10 and they have to be for ONE season (all ten would be for early muzzleloader season). The cost for these tags is the same as county quota antlerless tags. If I do "enroll" in the depredation program, I have three years then I'm done. What, the deer population is never going to recover?
confused.gif
They hope that you will adopt other non-lethal strategies. The only non-lethal strategy I can come up with is fencing, which would be cost prohibitive for a corn/bean farm.

[ QUOTE ]
The (preliminary) response to this was that the antlerless tags were selling out during shotgun season, so no need for a late antlerless, but they will keep the November season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense to me. If the tags in some counties are already selling out anyhow, more success should be seen during the other seasons and fewer shed bucks would be killed. The November season is proposed to go away in many counties too, probably for similar reasons. No late antlerless and no November guns proposed in the 3 counties I hunt the most. Sweet!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The (preliminary) response to this was that the antlerless tags were selling out during shotgun season, so no need for a late antlerless, but they will keep the November season.

[/ QUOTE ]

No late antlerless and no November guns proposed in the 3 counties I hunt the most. Sweet!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lucky dog!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What I was trying to say is that a resident can buy an any sex early muzzleloader license and buy as many county quota antlerless tags as they see fit. If a landowner gets a free any sex early muzzleloader license, they can not buy county quota antlerless tags. Seems kind of whacked to me! Last year I "used" all my landowner tags on early muzzleloader (except for one late antlerless only). I'll most likely do the same this year, but buy more county tags for shotgun/archery, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok...I got it now Randy!
blush.gif
grin.gif

Top Bottom