Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

purrs and fighting purrs

stringleech

PMA Member
just curious, i've been using the mouth call since i started turkey hunting a few years back...ive called them in with it using yelps and clucks but i have to switch to the slate to get a decent purr....anyone got any good advise on how to make that mouth call purr...i can do it somewhat but feel like my lips are flopping in the wind more than im making a purr...also how do you guys make the fighting purr. i have heard alot of good about it and want to learn it...thanks again and good luck guys...stay safe!

I'm not sure about the mouthcall purr (I'm lucky if I can squack out a yelp or two /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif )but I have the original Knight & Hale Fighting Purr calls which are just two push/pull calls used in tandem.

Just scraping them slowly back n forth makes the fighting purr and I have killed a couple toms with them.

Not sure if there are other methods or not.

I like to use my little scratch box or a slate call to make subtle purrs with.

Note: I didn't kill a turkey last year despite being surrounded by flocks of them...so maybe best to listen to someone who actually knows what they're doing... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Purring is prlly the hardest call to make consistently with a mouth call. you can purr three ways, purr with your throat, purr by fluttering you lips, but all the competition callers purr by fluttering their tongue. and you guessed it, its the hardest way to purr. so i use a slate call as that is the easiest all the way around to make pure purr and clucks.

fighting purrs can be done by using a slate call and pushing harder and makeing the clucks sharper.

Hope that helps some....

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

fluttering the tongue was the easiest way for me. i can also do a purr way easier on some calls rather than others. the easiest call to purr on is the Woodhaven sadler mcgraw - its a call thats also great for keekee's peepee's.

I make it by using my throat. Put your tongue against the diaphragm lightly and make a grrrrr sound. Kinda hard to explain, but it's almost a light gargle sound.

Can anyone give a description of how to do a pur on a slate call. I think Im doing it right, but about half of the time it sounds like crap, usually the tempo seems way to fast.

Dean

dont use as much pressure,make short "S" shaped strokes, you wont need to push as hard. also, if your call is not conditioned, it wont purr. it might need some roughing up with sand paper or a brillow pad. if your striker is gummed up that will prevent good sound as well. Strikers need sanded as much as the call needs reconditioned.

When I purr on a slate call, I just draw lines straight down, while never picking up the striker. Pretty much a i without the dot. Lots of pressure if I want it loud and sassy and little pressure when they are in close. Works great.I have had tremendous luck by only purring. I rarely ever make yelps, there really isn't a need to from what I have seen. I think alot of it is the fact I hunt public land and by the time 4th season runs around they have heard it all. Even during 4th season I have killed many birds by nothing but purrs and clucks on public ground.

Top Bottom