Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question for NR's

I still believe it would take a decade of terrible hunting before people would turn their head. Deer hunting in a lot of states is just that poor.
You may be right jjohnson...I don't think we will have a decade of terrible hunting, just a decade close to where we are right now. My thoughts on the deer herd and land values are pure speculation. Maybe all top Whitetail states are ratcheting down their population and its all relative.

You may be right jjohnson...I don't think we will have a decade of terrible hunting, just a decade close to where we are right now. My thoughts on the deer herd and land values are pure speculation. Maybe all top Whitetail states are ratcheting down their population and its all relative.

Not to mention all the "Pros" will still be killing big deer on their managed properties regardless of what the general public is experiencing. This is what people see and believe. The top counties in the state will always be desireable imo.

My county has the some of the highest land values not only because of hunting but we are have the most people in the state retire here.

We can deal with low #'s, lack of habitat, etc. etc. But more NR tags would ruin it faster than anything.

Just imagine...as good as Iowa was, (and will be in a few years once it recovers from EHD, overharvest, drought stress ) how incredible it would be IF it had a ONE buck limit like Ohio, Kansas, Kentucky.... maybe 2 bucks tops if you were a landowner. I believe Iowa could possibly blow all other states out of the water. One and Done = 2 Booners behind every tree ! ....would have to start planting more trees just to hide them all...
X2
How many bucks are killed in Iowa using the second and third buck tag?
Out of the 6000 NR buck tags that are issued every year, how many of those are used?
There are several things that have contributed to a lower amount of mature bucks in Iowa. Several have been mentioned but a few have not.
EHD, harsh winters...
But how about the fact that there are a lot more dedicated/die hard trophy hunters out there, with state of the art hunting equipment.
Compare the archery equipment, scent control, game cameras, food plots etc..., that we have now versus just 10 years ago.
There are a lot more hunters out there (us on this website) that are getting very efficient at killing mature bucks.
Think of the tactics and equipment that we used 10-15 years ago compared to now, there is a huge difference in the efficiency of our equipment, as well as the fact that we are becoming better at hunting mature bucks.
That has to play a factor in the lower amount of mature bucks, doesn't it?
And I'd venture to say that the majority of us are just as good or better than the "professional hunters" out there at killing mature bucks.

Last edited:
Just curious here not trying to start an argument. But how will more NR tags decimate the hunting? I'm guessing there are more locals shooting young bucks, and poaching than what you realize. Case in point, I'm on a lease in Western Ky, us that lease the ground stick to the rules set by our club and the state, bc we enjoy going up there and hunting and we have a better chance at killing nice bucks up there than we do at home. A good many of the locals take it for granted that they are in a prime area and shoot the first thing w/ a rack they see, plus 4-5 more. How many of y'all know of local folks in Iowa that do the same. You can't tell me it don't happen bc I can just about guarantee it does

More NR tags would help the deer#s and hurt access. Opening up the rut to gun hunting would be the only thing that would destroy Iowa's deer other than disease.

Good to see our herd in perspective to other states. I still don't see how we bought into the whole 'QDMA-shoot tons of does!!' philopsophy. We were at a good point in 2005 or so when we were at our peak. Naturally as hunting gets 'easier' more people get into it = more deer taken. We didn't need to decimate our deer herd to point we have it now. We also should have limited antler less tags on public lands as well. If a landowner wants to shoot a ton of does, let them. But we need to manage our public lands better.

Good to see our herd in perspective to other states. I still don't see how we bought into the whole 'QDMA-shoot tons of does!!' philopsophy. We were at a good point in 2005 or so when we were at our peak. Naturally as hunting gets 'easier' more people get into it = more deer taken. We didn't need to decimate our deer herd to point we have it now. We also should have limited antler less tags on public lands as well. If a landowner wants to shoot a ton of does, let them. But we need to manage our public lands better.

I do not wish to argue with you per se, but I don't think it is accurate to portray the values/goals of QDMA so simply as to say, "Shoot tons of does". QDMA principles may well include a healthy doe harvest, depending on the characteristics of the property in question, but the baseline of QDMA is to promote a healthy age/sex ratio in the herd.

Looking back 3-6 years, some farms needed to have a lot of does shot, but unfortunately in many cases and across a very large area of the state "we" went way past any "QDMA recommended" harvest rate. Then we had a couple of waves of widespread EHD on top of the over harvest, which has compounded the problem further. If anything IMO, there is far too little QDMA practiced in Iowa.

I would recommend more research into the goals and principles of QDMA before affixing some or all of the blame to our now greatly reduced deer numbers on QDMA.

QDMA can give some broad misconceptions about their goals. I'm a member and not all of their advice is accurate. Qdma was founded in the south and that's where it's core system of beliefs have been established. When you hear about herd reduction this is coming from states like Bama and the Carolina's where seasons and limits have nothing to do with deer management.

Also Qdma draws a major disconnect with the majority of hunters on one basic principle. They continually say " you don't need a big property to manage whitetail" then they refer to a 300 acre farm as small! That's just not reality for most hunters in the Midwest states such as Ill, Wis, MI, OH, etc.

I hunt in SW Iowa and live in SE Wisconsin. The numbers of deer where I hunt in Wisconsin are way below that of the area I hunt in SW Iowa. We are lucky to see more than one buck while hunting a day in the rut, and typically they are nothing special. Whereas last time I sat in Iowa during the rut (filming a hunt) was 2012 and filmed over 15 bucks on the move.

By increasing the # of NR tags your decreasing the wait time on getting a tag. If a NR could get a tag every year or every other year this would trip the real estate boom.

For one outfitters would go gangbusters leasing everything they could get their hands on. There's one reason this hasn't already happened. Currently it's hard for them to build a client base and fill every spot every season. Now I know not all outfitters are bad but in reality money talks. They run as many as they can thru the land and the top end is shot out very quickly.

More importantly if NR's were getting tags more often it would trip many into buying here. So John Doe's 400 acre farm and every other decent chunk of land is bought up and split. Now we look like WI were everyone owns 40 acres and during season there's 3-4 guys on each 40 and everybody wants a buck. There goes the neighborhood.

Not to mention most residents are displaced in the process. And the quality of hunting in Iowa is down the tubes in a blink of an eye.

I'm not into arguing and won't but seriously the writings on the wall. How can anyone say this just isn't the case and wouldn't happen at all. Go talk to the locals in Illinois, Wisconsin, Kansas, Kentucky, etc.

A lot of NR get it and every year they tell me "I hope Iowa never changes". They know when they draw a tag they are gonna have a great hunt. Several still knock on doors and get permission. Several hunt stateland and have great hunts. This would all end.

Last edited:
I do not wish to argue with you per se, but I don't think it is accurate to portray the values/goals of QDMA so simply as to say, "Shoot tons of does". QDMA principles may well include a healthy doe harvest, depending on the characteristics of the property in question, but the baseline of QDMA is to promote a healthy age/sex ratio in the herd.

Looking back 3-6 years, some farms needed to have a lot of does shot, but unfortunately in many cases and across a very large area of the state "we" went way past any "QDMA recommended" harvest rate. Then we had a couple of waves of widespread EHD on top of the over harvest, which has compounded the problem further. If anything IMO, there is far too little QDMA practiced in Iowa.

I would recommend more research into the goals and principles of QDMA before affixing some or all of the blame to our now greatly reduced deer numbers on QDMA.

Usually when someone says, 'I don't want to make this personal', that's exactly what they are about to. I have much experience with some QDMA principles at work and feel that they are flawed. If you want to see more deer on your farm, killing does is not the answer. Sure parts of QDMA are good, such as planting more food for them, etc where it doesn't exist. But simply harvesting more deer and thinking you are 'balancing' out the population only hurts you in the long run.

Think about it, the only way for a buck to be born is by a doe. So if you kill all your does, eventually you run out of bucks. Get it?

I understand your 'do more research comment' and that's just a pass the buck type of reply. I've lived on 220 acres of private land where the adjacent land owner just laid into the does...guess what....hardly any deer left now. All kinds of food for them there, but the deer just don't exist. Great 'balance' there.

The DNR did recommend reducing our deer herd many years back, they just didnt get on the train fast enough to get us weened off those tags. It's my feeling that we never needed to reduce our herd in the first place. We weren't over any projected 'carrying capacity' and the hunting in our state is exceptional.

Sure the DNR has to deal with the governor to reduce tag numbers, but this should have been discussed many years ago rather than the last 3-4. When you act retroactively, you get crappy results.

Name me a few things that the DNR has managed well. They dont need .gov approval to manage our fish and don't seem to be excelling in that area. Forgive me for being selfish and wanting more deer, but I am a hunter after all.

We have more than enough food in IA without planting more food plots (not saying we shouldn't, but its the truth). We also have more than enough habitat to substain a high # of deer. Commercialization of hunting made us all think we need to plant food, run trail cameras, shoot big deer, and pummel our does.

I'm an Iowa resident and hunt in SW Iowa. I think there are a couple of things that I feel need to be pointed out. Purely my opinion.
1. Herd numbers. At least in the areas I hunt were very healthy and we were experiencing some of the best rut activity we have ever had while at the same time killing does prior to 2012. I believe strongly that the herd numbers would have continued to be at target levels throughout the state without the MAJOR effect from EHD. Some areas I don't have a doubt in my mind were reduced by as much as 75-80% loss. This in no way has any research behind that number, but without the EHD issues experienced in 2012 and 2013, the herd population would not be in question in the areas I hunt.
2. Hunting Pressure. In my opinion even the guys that grab their gun once a year for shotgun season realized the population was lower in 2013. This led to lower number of hunters out and about from my observations. The lower deer numbers caused these guys to either hunt harder/drive faster/bend the rules more, or caused them to not hunt very hard at all. In a brief conversation with a DNR official he mentioned that violations were actually higher than normal and he attributed it to the deer numbers being lower so guys were having to do more to fill their tag, and that led to them having a lapse in judgement and bending the rules more. Again just a theory and purely my opinion

Name me a few things that the DNR has managed well.

They did a tremendous job bringing back the wild turkey. When I was a kid, we basically had none. We have enjoyed many years of great turkey hunting thanks to the IDNR.

They also did an outstanding job in getting otters back in Iowa. If you enjoy trapping, there is nothing more fun to chase.

They do a good job with trout streams and walleye stocking.

I also think they did a very good job with the deer herd until outside political groups took over their ability to do so.

I bought land because.

I bought in land in Iowa because that is where my wife and I were raised. We looked in Illinois but land at that time was 3 times as high. Southern Iowa had the best prices when we bought so that's were we have land. I say if you want land save and buy. We don't have deep pockets like most people on this site think nrlos do. We bought for a place to move to when we retire. I draw a tag every year. Granted it's not a bow but a gun tag, but I hunt my property every year. I wonder how many nrlos have in state connections and don't really buy for the hunting but to own a piece of land in the family or by their families ground.

Usually when someone says, 'I don't want to make this personal', that's exactly what they are about to. I have much experience with some QDMA principles at work and feel that they are flawed. If you want to see more deer on your farm, killing does is not the answer. Sure parts of QDMA are good, such as planting more food for them, etc where it doesn't exist. But simply harvesting more deer and thinking you are 'balancing' out the population only hurts you in the long run.

Think about it, the only way for a buck to be born is by a doe. So if you kill all your does, eventually you run out of bucks. Get it?

I understand your 'do more research comment' and that's just a pass the buck type of reply. I've lived on 220 acres of private land where the adjacent land owner just laid into the does...guess what....hardly any deer left now. All kinds of food for them there, but the deer just don't exist. Great 'balance' there.

The DNR did recommend reducing our deer herd many years back, they just didnt get on the train fast enough to get us weened off those tags. It's my feeling that we never needed to reduce our herd in the first place. We weren't over any projected 'carrying capacity' and the hunting in our state is exceptional.

Sure the DNR has to deal with the governor to reduce tag numbers, but this should have been discussed many years ago rather than the last 3-4. When you act retroactively, you get crappy results.

Name me a few things that the DNR has managed well. They dont need .gov approval to manage our fish and don't seem to be excelling in that area. Forgive me for being selfish and wanting more deer, but I am a hunter after all.

We have more than enough food in IA without planting more food plots (not saying we shouldn't, but its the truth). We also have more than enough habitat to substain a high # of deer. Commercialization of hunting made us all think we need to plant food, run trail cameras, shoot big deer, and pummel our does.

I used the phrase, "I don't want to make this personal", only because I do not wish to participate in an online sand fight with you or anyone else. BUT, frankly I think the views/opinions you are promoting are incorrect and potentially do a disservice to the people or organizations that you refer to. Take it how you wish.

Some examples in your latest post that cause me to think you do not understand QDMA and/or the role of the Iowa DNR are:

"But simply harvesting more deer and thinking you are 'balancing' out the population only hurts you in the long run." To my understanding of QDMA, this is at best a gross over-simplification of their philosophy and actually I don't think this is an accurate representation of QDMA principles at all. QDMA advocates that the land manager take a reasonably accurate census of their land and the corresponding deer population and habitat and then set population targets and goals that the land can support, etc. It is not a "shoot 'em all" approach at all.

"So if you kill all your does, eventually you run out of bucks. Get it?" I have never seen or heard of anyone associated with QDMA advocate "killing all your does", that is just nonsense.

"I understand your 'do more research comment' and that's just a pass the buck type of reply." That was an attempt on my part to politely say to you that I don't think you know what you are talking about. Hopefully I was clearer this time.

"I've lived on 220 acres of private land where the adjacent land owner just laid into the does...guess what....hardly any deer left now." That your neighbor didn't show any restraint in harvest or apparent concern for the resource is hardly a testimony, positive or negative, on QDMA or the DNR.

"The DNR did recommend reducing our deer herd many years back, they just didnt get on the train fast enough to get us weened off those tags. It's my feeling that we never needed to reduce our herd in the first place. We weren't over any projected 'carrying capacity' and the hunting in our state is exceptional." and...

"Sure the DNR has to deal with the governor to reduce tag numbers, but this should have been discussed many years ago rather than the last 3-4. When you act retroactively, you get crappy results."

Again, I encourage you do some research here, as I recall prominent DNR managers strongly encouraging hunters to take more deer BEFORE they were in effect forced to introduce an almost unlimited number of tags and extra seasons. I believe it was Dale Garner, but I am not certain on that, that came out strongly and advised hunters to take more deer back when populations were very high and to do this in order to avoid a political situation like we have now. I seem to recall an urgent "call to action" even being published on the annual DNR season regulations brochure, in addition to other forms of communication by the DNR.

I think a fair and accurate examination of the DNR's role in the deer population changes over the past decade would reveal that they nailed it at every turn and in advance of things actually happening the way that they did. For people to blame the DNR in this instance is bananas, they were more right than really anybody that I can think of.

I am saying that the DNR appropriately advised hunters to take more deer back when there were high populations AND the Farm Bureau and the insurance lobby was putting high heat on the political process. In effect, hunters as a group, didn't kill enough deer soon enough to pacify the political interests and then we got the super high number of tags and new seasons, etc. While the DNR may be the one publishing the regs, it sure wasn't the biologists talking. To blame the DNR for this, then or now, is to me an indication of a lack of understanding about what really happened.

After a few years of the very high harvest numbers though the people began to see that we couldn't just shoot them all and still have good hunting the next year. My recollection is that the DNR in at least two consecutive years recommended reductions in harvest quotas that were not accepted. In other words, the DNR recommendations were vetoed. To blame them then is folly.

"Name me a few things that the DNR has managed well. They dont need .gov approval to manage our fish and don't seem to be excelling in that area. Forgive me for being selfish and wanting more deer, but I am a hunter after all."

That's an easy one, thank you for teeing me up so nicely. 1. Turkeys - that there is even a season for these birds is a testament to the work of the DNR and other like agencies. I am old enough to remember a time where there were no turkeys in Iowa, let alone a hunting season for them. I personally know multiple DNR employees that that sat in rudimentary blinds in the cold for hours on end waiting for a flock to come into the corn pile so they could trap some of them and then physically relocate them to build sustainable populations statewide. Shoot, they even got so good at this they traded surplus turkeys to other states to get... 2. Otters - which were released all across the state and where there were none, there are many now.

3. Canada geese - I grew up mainly as a pheasant and waterfowl hunter and back in the late 70's and throughout most of the 80's it was rare to even SEE geese while hunting, let alone ever shooting one of them. The DNR had a large role in re-establishing viable and huntable populations all across the state.

There are other examples I could cite too, but it really burns me when someone starts laying blame on the wrong party and/or person in a public forum like this one. The DNR, and also organizations like QDMA, are easy to blame, especially when there is a lack of actual understanding of the facts.

I think it is probably clear that you and I are not going to see eye to eye on this, but I am confident that others reading this dialogue and examining what has been written between us and what is a matter of public record, will come to a more accurate understanding of where the problems really stem from.

While I see that the DNR has done good in the past, I don't see much active management being done now. That is what I'm getting at. I won't back down off the QDMA comments or commercialization of hunting...I just simply don't believe those benefitted the quality of animals here in IA when it came to DNR policy. I don't think we ever needed to lower the deer herd as much as was done. None of the reason given outweigh the negatives of having a lower deer herd. The DNR should be on the side of the hunters, we have other groups lobbying for their interests.

Sure wild turkey hunting is better than it was in the 70's, but so is the deer hunting. That doesn't mean its better now than it was 10-20years ago, and thats the time frame I am referring to. We ruin our resources and then bring them back, we don't manage anything.

I don't make my comments personal to any person, only to ideals and organizations. I don't think the DNR is doing a very good job and I'll stand by that. Wonder why people shy away from posting here?

I want to see actual evidence pointing to the herd needing to be reduced other than 'obviously this or of course that...'

While I see that the DNR has done good in the past, I don't see much active management being done now. That is what I'm getting at. I won't back down off the QDMA comments or commercialization of hunting...I just simply don't believe those benefitted the quality of animals here in IA when it came to DNR policy. I don't think we ever needed to lower the deer herd as much as was done. None of the reason given outweigh the negatives of having a lower deer herd. The DNR should be on the side of the hunters, we have other groups lobbying for their interests.

Sure wild turkey hunting is better than it was in the 70's, but so is the deer hunting. That doesn't mean its better now than it was 10-20years ago, and thats the time frame I am referring to. We ruin our resources and then bring them back, we don't manage anything.

I don't make my comments personal to any person, only to ideals and organizations. I don't think the DNR is doing a very good job and I'll stand by that. Wonder why people shy away from posting here?

I want to see actual evidence pointing to the herd needing to be reduced other than 'obviously this or of course that...'

The DNR is not allowed to manage the deer herd and has not been allowed to do so for a few years now. That is the point you are missing. They agree with you that the population did not need to be lowered so drastically. That was never their management plan. You are chasing a ghost with that argument.

Also when considering the management goals, nobody (Not even QDMA or IDNR)could have possibly predicted the impact of the back to back droughts that brought stress and EHD into play and further degraded the population and herd health. That being said I wish the doe tag quota would have been immediately froze when the outbreaks of EHD began. (no more antlerless tags sold). That is where the political swing and financial impact over-ruled sound herd management. The people hired to make suggestions on the herd health of Iowa whitetails were simply ignored and poilitcal/financial influences overpowered all others.
Simply put, lay off the Iowa DNR a bit. They are doing the best with what they have. No way they could have seen this coming.

Top Bottom