Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question for NR's

The DNR is not allowed to manage the deer herd and has not been allowed to do so for a few years now. That is the point you are missing. They agree with you that the population did not need to be lowered so drastically. That was never their management plan. You are chasing a ghost with that argument.

I've already said at least 3 times in different threads that I fully understand how the DNR is allowed (or not) to manage our herd. What I'm saying is that it was wrong from the start. You start the ball rolling down the wrong path and its pretty hard to change it's course. IA deer hunting is pretty bad on PUBLIC LANDS. I don't feel bad for those hunting on private because you made the decision to over hunt your deer. Public Land hunters have a lot of other people to deal with and its pretty hard to get everyone together and come up with a game plan to not harvest so many deer.

I've already said at least 3 times in different threads that I fully understand how the DNR is allowed (or not) to manage our herd. What I'm saying is that it was wrong from the start. You start the ball rolling down the wrong path and its pretty hard to change it's course. IA deer hunting is pretty bad on PUBLIC LANDS. I don't feel bad for those hunting on private because you made the decision to over hunt your deer. Public Land hunters have a lot of other people to deal with and its pretty hard to get everyone together and come up with a game plan to not harvest so many deer.

The deer herd had increased beyond what was practical. The numbers were out of control because we didnt kill enough does. The DNR was forced to do something about it. Thats what got us in this mess to begin with. The legislature got drug into it early on and then basically took over the reins later on. In my opinion, the Iowa DNR has worked hard for Iowa sportsmen and all they ever get in return is grief and conspiracy theories from resident hunters. They tried hard to offer public meetings last year and the attendance was horrible. I went, and was embarassed for Iowa sportsmen. Too many hunters want to sit around pointing fingers and placing blame, but wont do anything to make a difference.

While I see that the DNR has done good in the past, I don't see much active management being done now. That is what I'm getting at. I won't back down off the QDMA comments or commercialization of hunting...I just simply don't believe those benefitted the quality of animals here in IA when it came to DNR policy. I don't think we ever needed to lower the deer herd as much as was done. None of the reason given outweigh the negatives of having a lower deer herd. The DNR should be on the side of the hunters, we have other groups lobbying for their interests.

Sure wild turkey hunting is better than it was in the 70's, but so is the deer hunting. That doesn't mean its better now than it was 10-20years ago, and thats the time frame I am referring to. We ruin our resources and then bring them back, we don't manage anything.

I don't make my comments personal to any person, only to ideals and organizations. I don't think the DNR is doing a very good job and I'll stand by that. Wonder why people shy away from posting here?

I want to see actual evidence pointing to the herd needing to be reduced other than 'obviously this or of course that...'

Altiman, have you honestly been to any DNR meetings in the past two years to let the DNR know this?

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
On private land I can see and agree with lowering deer #'s. On public land, we have enough hunters already on it plus not much land to begin with that we never needed extra tags to be allowed on public. Since a good portion of our hunters are on public and now we're short on deer, you're going to see fewer tags sold as these hunters find other things to do.

I know the response will be 'well...those people aren't real hunters then...' but the fact is that most of us have a thresh hold of where poor hunting will eventually cause us to stop. I know there's a lot fewer pheasant hunters because of a lot fewer birds, so the same is already beginning to happen with deer hunting.

Altiman,
Where I am you can still drive down a back road and jump pheasants from the noise of the truck. I see quail along the road side ditches and last year someone hit a cock bird right in front of my drive way. I used to hunt them as a kid but now would just like to see some running around. all game seems to be down from what I can tell so I'm trying to do my part to make a few more acres for game to live in.

I am not a non resident but have always wondered why landowners get more buck tags?What is the logic behind this?

I am not a non resident but have always wondered why landowners get more buck tags?What is the logic behind this?

Nothing really besides if you own the ground, you get an anysex tag, in which you can decide which season you want it for.

Here in Missouri, anyone can kill 3 bucks resident, non resident, or landowner. 2 must be with archery, 1 can either be rifle or traditional season.

If you really think of the logic, we shouldn't allow resident land owners to have more tags if we don't allow NR land owners to hunt their own land every year. I'm not saying I disagree with the law as it's written because it somewhat protects resident land owners and hunters but I can see why the NRLO are not happy.

My understanding is that this was a way to in essence reward landowners, as they have some cost or part in the raising of the deer.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
My understanding is that this was a way to in essence reward landowners, as they have some cost or part in the raising of the deer.

That is the way I believe it to be also.

If the resident landowner is harboring the deer all year I feel it is a nice
gesture from the DNR. Only once in 15 years have I harvested three bucks in a year.

Non residents can hunt their land every year. They just cannot have an either sex tag for bow every year which is what they want. To say they cannot hunt the land is a complete lie. They just can hunt it how they want to hunt it.

I would feel alot easier towards their argument if they at least call a spade and spade and be honest to say we want to buck hunt every year and do not try to cloak and dagger it with we cannot hunt at all. That wears me out...

That is the way I believe it to be also.

If the resident landowner is harboring the deer all year I feel it is a nice
gesture from the DNR. Only once in 15 years have I harvested three bucks in a year.

I agree with this. And, in 9 years I have killed two bucks three times. Most years I take one. I don't think most landowners fill three tags on bucks. But, its nice to choose what season you want the bonus tag in.

Thank god in Minnesota we are only allowed to shoot 1 buck, I'm sure there are people that still buy tags for their, wife, aunt, grandma and mother in law. But hopefully its not the majority. It's hard enough to get bucks to live with only 1 buck tag. Landowners here are allowed to get 1 doe tag I believe for no charge.

Thank god in Minnesota we are only allowed to shoot 1 buck, I'm sure there are people that still buy tags for their, wife, aunt, grandma and mother in law. But hopefully its not the majority. It's hard enough to get bucks to live with only 1 buck tag. Landowners here are allowed to get 1 doe tag I believe for no charge.

Do you have a firearm season during the rut?

I've moved to Iowa from Northwest Wisconsin about 4 years ago. Despite the overharvest of does and EHD outbreaks that many cite as the causes for lower deer numbers in Iowa, the hunting on public in Iowa still seems better than the area in Wisconsin where I hunted. I think the private land in Iowa may be much better. Northern Wisconsin has also experienced a large decrease in deer numbers over the past decade due to an increase in wolf and bear numbers along with liberal harvest of does using $2 antlerless tags. Wisconsin also has OTC non-resident tags and NRs could purchase these extra doe tags for $2 as well. There is quality hunting in Wisconsin just like in Iowa however I think the pressure is much less in Iowa which allows more bucks to reach maturity. I hope Iowa keeps its laws as is and Iowa hunters continue to ban together to make hunting better for future generations.

Top Bottom