Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question on planting for this fall

Daver

PMA Member
A farmer friend of mine that had some of his bottom ground flood this year is planning on planting a food plot yet this fall. His plan is to plant 40# of triticale, 15# of Buck Forage Oats and 15# of Austrian Winter Peas per acre. The area available is 14 total acres.

He is also going to inject 4000 gallons of hog manure for fertilizer. His plan is to mix all of these seeds and drill them in together.

How does this plan sound, would it be better to separate these seeds or to plant something else, etc?

Yes...you should mix them Dave but the amounts per acre are pretty light however. Grains can be sown easily at 100-120#'s per acre for grazing. Even the peas could be at 50#'s per acre.

BFO oats are crazy expensive but he can pickup regular oats for 8 bucks a bushel and make up the difference.

I'm glad he's planting something to soak up all that hog manure... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

man that sounds like a killer mix! where did you get the triticale?

I use tecomates max attract 50/50 and the deer crush it.

here it is after no tilling it in.

plot.jpg

rows.jpg

I am not sure where my friend plans on getting the triticale. I will ask him and let you know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm glad he's planting something to soak up all that hog manure... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif </div></div>

That is actually the rate (injected or knived) that the manure management plan says that is aceptable, but it really all depends on what the analysis is of the manure.

More often than not, rates are around 2500-3500 gallons per acre.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm glad he's planting something to soak up all that hog manure... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif </div></div>

That is actually the rate (injected or knived) that the manure management plan says that is aceptable, but it really all depends on what the analysis is of the manure.

More often than not, rates are around 2500-3500 gallons per acre. </div></div>

Jeez Nanny, you really know your $h!t!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> where did you get the triticale?</div></div>

Welters has winter triticale but there may be a closer source here in SE Iowa, so I'm curious too /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Winter Triticale

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skully</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Jeez Nanny, you really know your $h!t!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom