Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question on rye planting

Daver

PMA Member
A little over a month ago I mowed off 2 acres in a field that has sat idle for about 1 1/2 years now. (It was winter wheat two years in a row prior to that.) I mowed the grass/weeds and then 2 weeks after that I hit it pretty hard with Roundup and I have confirmed that I got a real nice kill on the greenery. I now have a field with roughly 4" to 6" tall pretty dead grass in it.

I plan on seeding rye next weekend in this field. My question is would I better off to:
1. Broadcast the seed over what is there now and do nothing in terms of additional mowing.
2. Mow it short first and then over seed.
3. Overseed it and then mow it short to sort of cover up the rye seed.

I have a cultipacker, but I am not sure it will really add much when I am rolling over dead grass and/or mowed grass.

I am leaning towards option #3 above, but would be curious to get some input on the subject.

I think you could do any of those things Dave, I've seen a lot of folks just kill the dead grass, sow the seed and leave it but option 3 should work just fine.

Keep us posted on how this works out and maybe take a few before and after pics if you can, others will be interested in seeing how it works out also. ;)

Top Bottom