Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question

Fulldrw

I'm just curious as to what most people's hunting ethics are like. I am going to provide you with a senario that I was in and see if you would do the samething as i did in that senario. Yesterday, I had a nice sized doe come in and I was drawn back when she passed through an opening that I had not originally planned to have for a shooting lane. It was five yards from the base of my tree, and I was 30 feet up because of the terrain. Would you have taken the shot, why or why not?

I didn't take the shot b/c I figured with her being that close and me that high that I would only probably get one lung, and i really like a dbl lung b/c i have heard of people loosing them on what they think is a single lung hit.

Nothing wrong with that shot if you aim so the arrow drives into the heart.

G6
Thats kinda what I think now, but at the time I was just a bit worried about wounding one, I hate woudning an animal and not being able to retrieve it more than anything.

I think you did the right thing. High entry one lung hits are lost more than recovered (Personal observation not statistics). Yes good op to spine her, clear path to the heart, but miss either by an inch, and you have a single lung hit, Probably no exit hole and only a high entry hole which will not leave much for a blood trail.
I believe I read once where a deer with single lung hit had a 50% chance of surviving. I know I shot one years ago with a healed entry scar. I am sure it left some bowhunter somewhere scratching his head

Even though it's not the ideal shot, equipment nowadays is so much better that than it was just a few years ago that an angle shot like that will likely be a mortal one. Bows are faster, broadheads are more lethal, arrows have improved for flight and penetration. If you have confidence in your shot there's nothing unethical about it.

Ask yourself this. If that doe would have been a mature 170 inch buck and that's the best shot you had, would you take it?
icon_rolleyes[1].gif

[ QUOTE ]
head shot at 5 yards would make for short track.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did that with a shotgun last year. It was nasty. I could have fit both of my fists into her head easily. And that was only a 20 guage!

HunterMan
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

One lung hits are virtually ALWAYS lethal. I often here these one lung stories and I just cant seem to understand it. I have shot plenty of animals and have never lost an animal to the "one lung hit".

I would have been eating tenderloin.

When shooting extreme angles always invision the vital lay out from your position. In other words imagine your exit point for the arrow. If your shot is on you will go through some goodies for sure.

However, seeing as you were uncomfortable I think you did the right thing. When in doubt go with your gut!

I'm 100% sure I could have got a shot in the sweet spot but the thought of only getting one lung had me worried b/c I have always heard that one lung deer can survive. Oh well though, i have all season still and I really don't want to lose an animal ever to a "risky" shot this early in the season.
I know with my setup that I would have got the needed penetration too. It comes down to what those of you have already said "go with your gut." As far as if it would have been a 170 inch buck, no i would not have taken the shot, there is not a doubt in my mind of that. I have been bowhunting for 11 years and have taken at least 1 deer every year since i started and I am strongly against wounding deer.

Thanks for the replys b/c this question was just a curiosity question as to what some of your would have done if in the same situation.

Another question though, it was mentioned if it was a 170 inch buck would you have taken the shot, how many of you would have?

My personal opinion is that an attempt at a head shot is never ethical.

Fulldrw, if it was a shot you were not comfortable taking on a doe than I totally agree with not taking the same shot at a 170" buck. In fact, I would be less likely to take a questionable shot at a large buck. Thanks for sharing, and I think you were right in your decision.

Zach

[ QUOTE ]
Dor, when you're pretty sure of just getting one lung, how long do you wait to trail?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as with any shot, no matter where it is, I would take in all the information on a case by case basis.

All, things being equal, I would base my recovery on the first 30-40 yards of blood trail.

If you look at animal physiology, you will quickly realize that it does not take long for an animals body to push every liter of blood through its lungs.

So with a one lung hit, it does not take long for an animal to bleed out and die. Now if you are not truely in the lung ( or have a slight grazing of one of the lobes)and have only a "perceived one lung hit" obviuosly you will not have as great of chance for recovery as the animal has a fair chance of clotting to take hold.

With many one lung stories I have heard and have further explored with the hunter, often I find that the hunter does not have a great knowledge of anatomy, shoots dull broadheads, or has some other misconception of the hit. I have probably taken 20+ animals with the above described situation this hunter faced, many with a recurve that did not get full penetration, and I have never had an animal go further than 200 yards.

As moosehunter said, taking inot account the modern technology of big broadheads (often 1.75 inches or more) and high KE bows, the problem is even less likely IMO.

Do freak things happen and do animals survive one lung hits...well, yes, but this is the exception rather than teh rule from my expereinces.
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have never had an animal go further than 200 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

200 yards can seem like miles without a good blood trail though. One lung is most certainly lethal and the deer recoverable.

They can also go much further then 200 yards and if one doesn't wait long enough...once jumped they can go even farther in a hurry.

It's shot that I would certainly avoid if at all possible, however not many of us wouldn't take the chance if he was packing enough headgear
smirk.gif

Have you ever practiced taking a shot at that short of a distance and angle? Most people do not so they do not know where the point of impact will be. Add to that a poor angle and smaller kill zone, you could have a disaster in the making. Unless you have practiced for this, I would pass and wait for the better opportunity on the next doe. There are plenty of them out there and you owe it to the animal to only take shots that you are confident that the result will be an ethical shot.

If you not comfortable with a shot, I wouldnt take it. In my experience it almost never works out.

As for shooting them in the head, I wouldnt even dream of it. Especially with a bow. Talk about a disaster waiting to happen...

Sounds like you shoulda got out your knife and unstrapped your safety harness...
evil.gif
evil.gif
jester.gif
jester.gif
JK

I wouldn't reccommend the shot at all but, if you had actually practiced the shot and felt comfortable with that shot angle because shooting at that steep of an angle will really mess with your form, I would be able to give you no reason not to.

[ QUOTE ]
Another question though, it was mentioned if it was a 170 inch buck would you have taken the shot, how many of you would have?

[/ QUOTE ]

FULLDRW. My main point was if you liked the shot, take it. The 170 inch buck question was intended to put it in a different perspective.

I understand what you meant moosehunter, I was just curious since you asked that question about a large buck how many people would have taken the shot. When I was in the moment, it didn't seem like a shot to take b/c I have always been told not to. However, many have made great points on the new equipment capabilities and shooting form. Now after listening to everybody, it is a very do able shot depending on your capabilities is the conclusion that I have come to. I am very confident even though I didn't take the shot that if I wanted to, I could have quickly and cleanly taken her. I shoot all of the time, in many different awkward positions to keep my form good and to prepare for those odd instances. I didn't mean any disrespect to anybody if they took it that way. Thanks for everybody's input.

Top Bottom