Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Resident landowners....

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
If that 3rd tag goes on a doe or a buck it is still affecting the population & quality of our deer herd.I thought the main concern was population & quality of hunting in our state.If it is the privelage that can't be let go then I would be willing to pay 55.00 for my either sex tag & let landowners pay 27.50 that way the income brought into the state stays the same & the landowner still gets a privelage that they deem necessary.I also remind that i am a resident of iowa not an nrlo.

I dont think its the third anysex tag that is the reason for the deer herd decline. Its been here for sometime.
EHD and the rifle season is whats causing the problem. Had plenty of deer before that.

Right on lucky. What is this? Non res jealous of red and non lo trying to take tags from red lo? I wish you red non lo would go tell that to farmers you hunt on or border ground you can hunt on. Think they would agree?

Actually no. If I was really upset about anything it would just the fact that one group is getting special access to a publicly held resource. Be it buck or doe. But I'm not upset, just having a friendly conversation.

But if you really want to boil it down to my little world that LO tag going on a doe really sucks for the numbers in my area. Which goes back to my point. Nothing will change in low number areas unless ANY SEX tags are changed to BUCK ONLY!

mplane72 I don't want a pissing match either. Just putting in my 2 cents worth. One thing I totally agree with is changing any sex tags to buck only tags. I think the numbers are going to continue downward until we stop taking too many does in areas that already have low numbers.

Think about it this way.If less deer were harvested including bucks there would be once again more deer of all age classes & sex to harvest so if you were happy shooting a 120 class deer you could & that would not affect the population or quality as much because there would be more 120 class deer that would make it to an older age so therefore you would always have more quality & more bucks in general to shoot whatever age class you want.That being whether you were after a giant trophy or just a buck period if that made you happy.there would still be more bucks overall the next year that make it including bucks that make it to an older age class.Also this would bring the buck to doe ratio closer together.

Last edited:
mplane Your not getting my point. My point is if the land owners don't let you on there land to hunt you will not be killing the deer that belong to everyone.

I read you load and clear. That already is the case on most land. And the places I hunt I am not just allowed to hunt. I earned my way on.

It is not a question of IF the deer belong to everyone. It is the law. I have no problem with reduced fees for land owners.

Last edited:
This is a good discussion.

One common argument I've seen on this thread is the observation of many that they rarely fill all 3... so why have it in the first place? This argument only supports the side that is against this allowance.

Yeah that is what I was thinking (why have 3 if it is rarely used)?

It's bitter pill to swallow when guys are against reducing the 3 bucks a year, after all this discussion.

Hardwood why do you say that?
I would go with two tags to the LO's and one to everyone else.
I just think the Resident LO should get another tag for housing them.
That is just my view on it and I respect yours.

The biggest thing I like about my LO tag- it allows me to hunt both shotgun seasons and that allows me to be out and keep close tabs on my farms Otherwise, yahoo problems generally show up if I wasn't around. Presence is the best deterrent to rampid idiocy out there. Out there hunting is the best way for me to have that presence.

The biggest thing I like about my LO tag- it allows me to hunt both shotgun seasons and that allows me to be out and keep close tabs on my farms Otherwise, yahoo problems generally show up if I wasn't around. Presence is the best deterrent to rampid idiocy out there. Out there hunting is the best way for me to have that presence.

I agree, my grandpa does the same thing! Not that he wants to shoot another deer, its the fact that he's down there watchin the property.

Hardwood why do you say that?
I would go with two tags to the LO's and one to everyone else.
I just think the Resident LO should get another tag for housing them.
That is just my view on it and I respect yours.

Well thanks, I respect your opinion as well. Yes I like your idea. Just my opinion but 3 is too many. Two for landowner, one all season buck tag for everyone else...

Couldn't you just patrol without a gun?

Have a heart? My own people are turning on me. It's every man for himself! :eek:

Your own people? Really, it's not a resident/non resident issue. I'm a resident and I think if someone owns X amount of acres and pays taxes on it they deserve a tag. Since ever person on this thread stated they don't fill 3 tags then what's it going to hurt to cut them back?

Your own people? Really, it's not a resident/non resident issue. I'm a resident and I think if someone owns X amount of acres and pays taxes on it they deserve a tag.

Yeah, Iowa residents suggesting to take away a tag from the resident landowner. My fellow Iowans stabbing me in the back. Well, I'll stop emailing legislators in an effort to get antlerless tags reduced or to have the rifle season ended. I've stepped up to the plate and turned the ear of legislators and DNR employees and now my brethren want to turn on me? Hey, I got mine (as a landowner), maybe I should say screw you?

Since ever person on this thread stated they don't fill 3 tags then what's it going to hurt to cut them back?
For the third time, and I'll type it slow so you can maybe comprehend it. It allows me to extend my enjoyment of being outdoors, whether I fill the tag or not. Having a tag allows me to be out their hunting.

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom