Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Road Hunters

doublerack

Between September and the middle of January, traffic on the road past our farm increases by the hundreds on a weekly basis. At first I found it funny because in a our 3 mile radius, there are only 4 people that own land and hunt or have permission to hunt. But after a while and losing a dog getting hit by one of them, I'm starting to get fed up. They drive by and wave to you like they know you, but when you try to drive up to one who is stopped on the side of the road glassing your field, they get shy and take off down the road. One of the regulars put his truck in the ditch this weekend, then had the gumption to ask the neighbor to pull them out with his tractor. He tried to play dumb when we asked him what he was doing out there, but we knew better.
It seems like a pointless fight, but any suggestions how to deter them from the area?

Other than leaving the corn up on the field edges, there isn't much you can do. Make your presence is known when they're around. Wouldn't hurt to drive up to them and ask them if they need any help......of course you're just letting them know you've seen they're face and know who they are.

I'd say patrol the road on foot. Wear tube socks, whitey-tighty briefs, no shirt, and carry a bottle of whiskey with you.

Maybe a few stray shots in their direction. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Since it's a public road there isn't much you can do unless you know they have loaded guns in their vehicle or are shooting from the road.

Get some good optics so that you can read the license plates and create a log of when you see each vehicle. Turn it over to the local CO on a weekly basis. This is useful info if something screwy starts happening in the neighborhood. He can then do some spot checking of suspicious vehicles. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Heart Surgeon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say patrol the road on foot. Wear tube socks, whitey-tighty briefs, no shirt, and carry a bottle of whiskey with you. </div></div>

Don't forget the afro wig and the dark shades. Make sure you slap yourself every once in a while.

A combo of what CRITR and JNR said is what I'd do.

If you can talk to them maybe mention that you've had a lot of road hunting problems and you've started sending plate #'s into the DNR.

Do you know they are trying to hunt your property? Have you seen them take shots? Maybe they are just watching; no crime there. Not trying to be a prick just thought I'd throw that idea out there as well.

Plant cedars along thr roadsides of your farm. It takes a few yrs but eventually people will have nothing to see.

You could probably get a few good ideas from watching the movie "Deliverance" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

Not a whole lot you can do. I'm sure some of them arn't there to just look, but at the same time there are probably alot that are. I know that every once in awhile i'll go country cruisin' and all i'll take along is a pair of binos. I'm also just like you though because when I see a truck drivin' real slow past our land, I usually think the worst. It's easy to tell the good ones from the bad ones by just seeing which ones stop and talk or the ones that speed away. good luck with em.

On second thought, I agree with Hoyt M.O. It's probably hard to tell the good ones from the bad ones. In the summertime I do alot- and I mean alot of cruisin' for deer, in which many times I stop and glass and even film deer on other peoples land but that's the extent of it. I don't plan on trying to gain access to other people's hunting spots, I just like seeing deer in their natural habitat. Then again, I do wonder which vehicles cruising past my family's farm are just passerby's or potential road snipers. It's a difficult animal to tame. I'd say Muddy's advice is the best.

Best of luck!

We have lots of problems with road hunters for pheasants. They have shot in the house yard, usually turnaround in the driveway and position the gunner in the back of the truck there. It goes on and on. A couple of the things we have done is not only post the land but we also posted signs saying "This is 200yds from the buildings". Between us and the neighbors that were as fed up as us, it wiped out alot of there shooting areas. The next step is to sit in the barn with the video camera and strategically placed blind rooster that the neighboring hunt club has. It should be fun.

Probably one of my favorites is one we call "black Bronco" the last two years during the youth pheasant season he hits the roads hard with kids positioned in the gunner spot. It amazes me that thats what he wants his children to learn as hunting. I'll bet they have drove by 200 times so far this year.

We battle the same thing every year. Our property is on a dead end road so we know what they are up to. Most of the time once they see you walking that direction they take off. I think Critr and JNR have the right idea. It can almost be a fulltime job trying to keep people from trespassing.

In the summertime, I'll be out on the road quite a bit glassing and video taping groups of deer. Most of it is on private land that I don't have permission to hunt. It's just neat seeing what's out there. I think that the idea of writing down license plates is pretty good. Also, maybe go talk to them and make it known that you are watchful of your property. I would think it would scare them off enough to keep away if they have bad intentions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: streitl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the summertime, I'll be out on the road quite a bit glassing and video taping groups of deer. Most of it is on private land that I don't have permission to hunt. It's just neat seeing what's out there. I think that the idea of writing down license plates is pretty good. Also, maybe go talk to them and make it known that you are watchful of your property. I would think it would scare them off enough to keep away if they have bad intentions. </div></div>

I AGREE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Heart Surgeon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say patrol the road on foot. Wear tube socks, whitey-tighty briefs, no shirt, and carry a bottle of whiskey with you. </div></div>

That's thinking outside of the box. I am sure I keep moving!

I would say I am guilty of driving back roads to look at deer. When I have the kids and the wife is at work they love to drive and look for deer. I guess I wouldn't take off if someone pulled up to me though, That sounds suspicious!!! Oh ya I don't have any weapons in the truck while doing this, that is unless you count my good looks as a weapon!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ironwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Heart Surgeon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say patrol the road on foot. Wear tube socks, whitey-tighty briefs, no shirt, and carry a bottle of whiskey with you. </div></div>

That's thinking outside of the box. I am sure I keep moving! </div></div>

Outside who's box? Darn near an everyday occurance for me. Only thing I add is I drag a dead critter along behind me. I got the frost bit toes to prove it.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ironwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Heart Surgeon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say patrol the road on foot. Wear tube socks, whitey-tighty briefs, no shirt, and carry a bottle of whiskey with you. </div></div>

That's thinking outside of the box. I am sure I keep moving! </div></div>

Outside who's box? Darn near an everyday occurance for me. Only thing I add is I drag a dead critter along behind me. I got the frost bit toes to prove it.

The 'Bonker </div></div>

I rest my case! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom