Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

Dbltree I was wondering how much a bag of your free soybean seed you got weighed. I planted last weekend and was logging in my book to keep track of my rates (I broadcasted) and forgot to weigh my bag of soybean seed to see if they were 50 or 40lbs. I had the same seed as you is why I am asking. I hope they were 40 cause that would mean I broadcasted roughly 300,000 seeds per acre. If they are 50 I over did it a bit. :D

Last edited:
Soybean seed used to always be 50 lb. bags. But soy seed can vary from 2400 to 3600 seeds per pound. So, in the last couple of years, they have started to sell soy seed in 140,000 seed bags. Weight per bag can therefore vary quite a bit. If it was plot seed that was only one year old, it was prob 140,000 seeds per bag.

The seed we used was all 50# bags and each was marked with "seeds per pound" just as turkeyriver mentioned and the varied within the range mentioned as well....;)

Well looks like I overseeded. They felt like 40lb bags. So I broadcasted 330,000 seeds per acre. Hope the deer help me out and do some thinning for me. :D

You will be fine- the germination rates on that free seed are for sure not what they were a year ago & in a plot the deer will for sure thin them. You'll be fine.

Some interesting things of interest among the various soybean plots I have planted this spring...always something to learn and pass on that may help others.

For comparison only...Lee and Tiff's soybeans....

IMG_5135.jpg

Soybeans I no-tilled into killed winter rye...clean as a whistle and healthy to boot!

IMG_5128.jpg

An idea of height in mid June and these happen to be on this side of the E fence

IMG_5129.jpg

These were planted into dead brassicas...not quite as clean as those in winter rye but far better then those planted following corn

IMG_5130.jpg

Unfenced beans following brassicas but in strip plots where they have copious amounts of white and red clover to keep them from killing the beans.

IMG_5133.jpg

Another field, another farm...like the previous situation, a hidden field but where there are no other crops or food sources...I planted these a day before those shown above.

CIMG2997.jpg

The difference is that they are already being decimated

CIMG2999.jpg

almost 3 acres of RR soybeans being grazed very heavily

CIMG2998.jpg

In time....we'll change that by incorporating other crops that provide deer with plenty of high quality feed year around and lesson their impact on easily devoured crops like beans. These deer have had nothing but natural browse since no crops were grown last year and they are adapted to feeding ONLY on corn and beans....and will soon wipe these out.

Take advantage of the allelopathic advantages of rye and brassicas in your crop rotations, utilize clovers to keep deer fed and drawn to your centrally located feeding area year around and be prepared to add electric fencing if deer numbers are higher then your food sources can tolerate.... ;)

Looks like Tiff needs to get to spraying. My beans have started to sprout. It needs to quit raining and put some heat to them now.

June 14th, 2011

Almost 60 days exactly after planting the first corn for the year...after which it endured nearly 3 weeks of abnormally cold wet weather, the corn that eventually came up has done well and is over knee high already...

IMG_5150.jpg

Some of it is thin so I eventually replanted more then a month later and overlapped with some more soybeans...just for fun

IMG_5147.jpg

I planted along side the existing rows to keep from damaging what corn did come up....note that the combination of winter rye and Dual II Magnum has kept the field very clean!

IMG_5145.jpg

4 times my son and I have been rained out while trying to get the electric fence fully finished, weeds sprayed and everything in place...yesterday made the 5th time when once again a storm drove me out! I did get some more work done including lowering the bottom wires where the fence cross some low areas because some deer were slipping under neath it!

Grrr! Pesky things!

IMG_5146.jpg

Again...the allelopathic effects of the winter rye are obvious as the soybeans remain weed free!

IMG_5142.jpg

Just as obvious is the Alice white clover that remains unphased by an earlier application of glyphosate!

IMG_5144.jpg

Perhaps this is fortunate however because the deer that have slipped under the fence have been focusing on the white clover

IMG_5148.jpg

Where I disced under the white clover for corn, it's already coming back...not hurting the corn in the least, making it in effect a perpetual food and nitrogen source.

IMG_5149.jpg

Earlier I posted in the brassica thread, pictures of the GroundHog Forage radish that had come up this spring from ungerminated seed broadcast into standing milo and soybeans last fall. Discing the soil prompted the seed to germinate and that in turn led to deer feasting on the tasty brassicas, despite...the tender baby soybeans and corn!

IMG_5152.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

Says something for the palatability of forage radish when they pass these up!

IMG_5143.jpg

I talk a lot about "adapting " deer to feeding in one place, year after year...all well and good until one tries to keep them out! Even with a 2 fence 5 wire electric fence, a few determined deer have found ways to get into their only known feeding area despite having food sources (including soybeans) outside the fence. I have yet to try the tinfoil and peanut butter simply because I get rained out each time I attempt to finish the project but eventually I'll try that as well.

In mid summer I'll plant a strip of Purple Top turnips down the center between the corn and soybeans and overseed the corn and beans with winter rye and forage radish...the combination of which will keep them coming back all fall, winter and spring.... :way:

June 21st, 2011

My corn is really looking great...I can't imagine spraying it with glyphosate only to find it wasn't RR and I killed it all!

6-20corn.jpg

That very thing has happened in some cases where seed given away, was incorrectly marked and a beautiful plot was inadvertently destroyed. I always test mine by spraying a band across the field with a BP sprayer and sure enough...not all of mine is RR!

IMG_5264.jpg

I used Dual II Magnum so I don't need to follow up with gly anyway but had I done so the results would have been disastrous. Soybeans can be the same way, so I test them as well....so far so good!

The foxtail in this band is all dead but the beans unharmed...

IMG_5251.jpg

Interesting to compare beans inside and outside the fence, in effect an example of an exclusion cage.

IMG_5256.jpg

Beans inside the fence

6-20Soybeans.jpg

Beans a few feet away outside the fence

IMG_5253.jpg

All plants outside have been grazed

CIMG2998.jpg

At first glance they appear healthy and unharmed

IMG_5254.jpg

but closer inspection reveals that each stem has been grazed

IMG_5255.jpg

When soybeans are young, they can easily be decimated by grazing and even forage beans can quickly be destroyed if planted in small unprotected plots. Put up an exclusion cage to check grazing pressure on your plots.... ;)

Paul, go to your local chemical dealer and get some cadet and bicep. You can get great control with both of them, and are crop safe.

We had a case this year where the guy wasn't sure of what the "free" corn get got from another seed dealer was, so we ended up using Callisto/dual/atrizine (Lexar) on the corn.

Paul, go to your local chemical dealer and get some cadet and bicep. You can get great control with both of them, and are crop safe.

We had a case this year where the guy wasn't sure of what the "free" corn get got from another seed dealer was, so we ended up using Callisto/dual/atrizine (Lexar) on the corn.

and Cadet and clethodim would work for non RR soybeans correct?

Sure am glad I read this and didn't go out and spray round-up on my free soybeans. I will be doing a little test on them first I see. How tall should I let them get before I spray them with Gly? Wasn't sure if they need to be a certain height before I sprayed or can spray anytime. Sure hope they are RR beans as I am guessing Cadet is expensive? I already have some Clethodim

Sure am glad I read this and didn't go out and spray round-up on my free soybeans. I will be doing a little test on them first I see. How tall should I let them get before I spray them with Gly? Wasn't sure if they need to be a certain height before I sprayed or can spray anytime. Sure hope they are RR beans as I am guessing Cadet is expensive? I already have some Clethodim

You can "test" them anytime...:way:

Cadet is expensive BUT after you buy a quart, you'll come to $5 per acre (.5 oz per acre). obviously 64 acres in that little container.

Beans

I took Dbltrees advice and installed fencing around my main foodplot. Here is the difference between fenced vs unfenced beans in my foodplots. All of these beans were planted on the same day, in same soil type, a couple hundred yards apart.

Fenced
2011-06-25_14-25-36_811.jpg

No Fence
2011-06-25_14-32-16_988.jpg

The fence works incredibly well. I had a few jumpers until I installed a third top wire about 6 ft tall. Since then I have not had a deer get in. I expected the deer to destroy the other field. I just wanted to give them a summer snack until I tilled it under and plant my turnips.

Thanks for posting the pics Bryan! I've found three wires are a must and on uneven ground, watch for places they can sneak underneath! ;)

It's always interesting to put up exclusion cages on any food source but especially so on soybeans. I wish I would have one in this field from day one but just didn't have the time.

CIMG3067.jpg

Despite being a 3 acre field, planted at very high rates...deer are mowing them to the ground!

CIMG3070.jpg

CIMG3066.jpg

CIMG3065.jpg

These need to be sprayed (if it ever stops raining) but in a field nearly 3 x's the size and are faring better.

CIMG3069.jpg

This clover was nuked with gly when i planted the beans but had zero effect on it and has protected then beans for the time being.

CIMG3071.jpg

Right now soybean fields in SE Iowa are covered with deer every evening, easy to see why many farmers despise the whitetails we love to hunt! They are an awesome attraction but difficult to grow in small plots surrounded by heavy cover.... ;)

Wonder just by looking at the pictures if the weeds actually deter the deer from going through and wiping out most of the beans. They might have to work a little harder to eat the soys and not eat weeds along with it. Just a thought.

Top Bottom