Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

Re: Corn and beans/ RR forage soybeans

[ QUOTE ]
As long as it was on the ground 2-4 hours before the rain, you'll be fine (2 hours dry soil, 4 hours moist soil).

[/ QUOTE ]

It was more like 36 hours on dry soil so I should be ok on that...good info to know in the future though!
waytogo.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It's not a "cure all" but hopefully will help me with foxtail control and I'll nuke it a couple times with RUP as needed.

</div></div>

It does great for foxtail, I think you will like it. </div></div>

So far I'm very pleased! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

RRcorn5-15.jpg

Clean as a whistle so far and you can see the double rows of RR corn and soybeans /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

We had plenty of sub-surface moisture but this rain will sure help things along!

RRcornnsoys.jpg

Little hard to keep the soys as close to the corn as I wanted but not to shabby.

It doesn't matter at all except when spraying RUP later. Hard to fit tractor and sprayer tires between rows sometimes.

RRcornsoys2.jpg

The only weeds I see germinating at this point appear to be velvetleaf so I'll monitor it and spray RUP when needed.

At this point the only wildlife damage appears to be from turkeys nipping the newly sprouted beans.

This rain should get them all up and growing...just in time for the deer to take over... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Looks better than most field corn around here. Look great. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

The object of some of my long running threads is to provide as much complete info as possible that will always be available and hopefully answer questions on the subject for years to come.

On the subject of herbicide in RR corn and beasns...it is true that in many cases...escpecially beans that two applications of Roundup at 1 to 1/2 quarts per acre will take care of most weed problems.

In a continous corn/bean roatation or combination such as mine...with out residual or other types of herbicides one may eventually run in all types of problems.

Rotating crops certainly helps...no-till planting on sod has far less weed problems (just things to consider)

Looking back thru this thread you can see that with conventional corn, using atrazine based residual herbicide my corn was fairly free of weed problems:

771Shoulder_High_by_the_4th.jpg

However when I switched to a Roundup only program my field quickly went from this:

RRCornnSoybeans30days.jpg

to this:

Seaoffoxtail.jpg

Of course had I watched it more closely it shouldn't have gotten that carried away but the fact is I still sprayed it 3 times and when I finally disced it down it was already 2 feet high!

This year using Dual Magnum which is a residual safe for both corn and soybeans (at a cost of approx. $22.50 and acre) my corn and beans looked like this on Friday may 19th:

Cleancorn.jpg

My field is clean with not even a hint of foxtail at this point.

RRcornbeans19days.jpg

What you see in this pic is a few remmenants of the rye I disced down and a little velevtleaf which will be easily dealt with when I spray RUP...hopefully at a point when it's closer to some canopy.

RRcornsoys19days.jpg

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that soybean planting depth is better on the shallower side at approx 3/4" and corn approx 1 1/2" deep.

I planted all of mine at 1 1/2 and we had several pounding rains that crusted the soil.

The beans are breaking thru but as mentioned in another thread they do indeed break their necks trying to bust thru the crust.

Plant a little shallower if possible.

RRcornsoysdblerows.jpg

I'm having some light deer/turkey damage around the exterior of the field but so far it hasn't been to serious:

Nippedcorn.jpg

They have plenty of oats, peas, clover and alflafa surrounding my field...still no assurance that they won't eventually wipe it out.

If we get plenty of moisture along with my high nitrogen rate, hopefully it will out grow thier nightly "raids" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

How is the damage these days? Wondered if they had started pounding your field yet, or if the corn could get up enough to stay ahead of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is the damage these days? Wondered if they had started pounding your field yet, or if the corn could get up enough to stay ahead of them. </div></div>

I don't have much time these days but I've been wanting to post these pics. They are from early June but you can see that the Dual Magnum 2 worked on it's own and the high levels of nitrogen along with timely rains got the corn up and beyond the the "deer damage" stage.

S5000102.jpg

S5000103.jpg

The soys we're taking a beating

S5000104.jpg

S5000105.jpg

No need for roundup...field stayed pretty clean uing the Dual.

S5000111.jpg

S5000112.jpg

Might be quite a while before I get to check it again but I think that using Dual Magnum and Roundup as a back up is a way to make the corn/soybean combo work.

Thanks for stopping by DB. Take care, and field looks great! Hope all are doing well.

Big difference in my RR corn/bean plot this year! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Lot's of nitrogen, Dual Magnum herbicide and timely rain made it work.

Still lot's of deer damage...they have really worked it over and have kept the soys from amounting to much but plenty of ears have made it and the plot should be an excellent draw this fall.

The pics will show damage but also very few weeds:

S5000202.jpg

Plenty of ears:

S5000203.jpg

They sure hammered some areas where they first hit the field /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

S5000198.jpg

Can't blame it on the coons either /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

S5000201.jpg

Only weeds in the field are shown...I'm not a "weed expert" (Bonker...where are you... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif )but I think that's velvetleaf?

S5000204.jpg

The soys have been hammered hard since they sprouted:

S5000205.jpg

If one doesn't have the high deer numbers that I do then I think you'll find that the RR corn/soybean combo will work to provide maximum forage on limited acres. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

S5000206.jpg

In the end I never used a drop of Roundup so by using Dual Magnum it's possible to plant conventional corn and beans together.

I like the RR option in case the residual herbicide fails but conventional seed is more readily available...often for free if using year old seed.

My main costs we're $100 acre for urea (46% nitrogen) and approx. $27 per acre for the Dual Magnum. (I split 2 1/2 gallons with a friend)

Seed corn came Pheasants Forever and the RR soybean seed was left over seed that cost me $15 bucks a bag maybe?

Plant it...they will come! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I think it's time for me to throw in the towel as far as growing corn foodplots in my area...just too many deer
crazy.gif

Corn did great!

Goodcorn.jpg

The Dual Magnum 2 did the job and the corn and beans were nice and clean:

CleanCorn-1.jpg

but they have already stripped the entire of field...
frown.gif

Cobsnkernals.jpg

Nuthin but empty cobs on the ground...

Nuthinbutcobs.jpg

and empty husks on the stalks

EmptyHusks.jpg

no doubt about the culprits with the ground covered with deer "sign"
smirk.gif

Culpritsign.jpg

The soys did ok with the Eagle Soys holding their own the best but the pressure is just to great...

Eaglesoys.jpg

They just keep them mowed...

Soysincorn.jpg

Soyscloseup.jpg

RRsoys.jpg

Soysinthecorn.jpg

Very few we're allowed to develop pods

Fewpods.jpg

but a few did

Morepods.jpg

RR corn and soys will work, no doubt about that although I liked the Dual Magnum 2 much better with RUP for a backup.

In my case deer densities are just so extremely high that corn and soybeans are just not an option. Small grains and brassicas are much cheaper and better able to withstand the heavy grazing.

If anyone had any questions or pics of their own regarding either corn or soybeans...please share and add to this thread.

Paul, I didn't go back and look, but what number of corn did you put in? Maybe if you went with a longer day corn like a 117-118 day corn, that may delay the little critters long enough until bow season. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Still, the plot looked good and I told you that you would like how the Dual would control the Foxtail.

Dbtree, do you think my RR viny types would help? We bred the wild viny type to our RR forage type and have a very aggressive RR viny type that looks great in our plots in combination with our RR forage soybean and corn. I have some pictures of the soybean climbing the corn over 6.5 feet tall. The biggest problem I see with the corn/soybean mix is competition for sunlight early on. This is the reason for a short day corn and long season soybean. The corn will do its thing early on and the soybeans stay vegetative and continue to stay green and growing. Looks like you have achieved your goal of providing a summer plot that kept the deer eating on your property instead of just a pretty, unused green plot.

DB how big was that field? That is amazing..... It is a wonder anyone could farm around there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DB how big was that field? That is amazing..... It is a wonder anyone could farm around there. </div></div>

Wow, cant believe they ate that much already! How close is the nearest ag field? What are you going to do now, disk it under and plant rye?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DB how big was that field? That is amazing..... It is a wonder anyone could farm around there. </div></div>

Wow, cant believe they ate that much already! How close is the nearest ag field? What are you going to do now, disk it under and plant rye? </div></div>

6 acres /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Actually they ate many of the ears while they were green (and it wasn't coons...they rip the stalk down, these ears were "bitten" or pulled off)

That tells me that ealier or later corn would make no difference in my situation.

I could see the "viney" soys being an advantage for anyone with a "lessor" deer population so I would consider that.

There were some spots that had some foxtail and the beans there were much taller so I don't feel that the corn inhibited the soybean growth...deer alone were responsible for that /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I planted rye in plots next to the corn for this fall as they do love the cover that corn provides.

Thoughts on Forage Soybeans

Calibrating Drills for Soybean Production

Maybe I should sell that 80..."For Sale...80 acres with TOO MANY DEER" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I wondered if you would leave the stalks up for cover. It may still serve a purpose when the bullets fly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wondered if you would leave the stalks up for cover. It may still serve a purpose when the bullets fly. </div></div>

With that many deer around, I think I'd be shooing them to the neighbors when the bullets start to fly! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

If anyone is planting corn or RR corn and soys together...please let us know how it does but I just can't go the high cost of putting corn in anymore. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I disked down the last cornstalks my place probally will see for sometime...

DiskingStalks.jpg

Nice tire huh... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
Discingstalks.jpg

I disked it twice...

Seedbed.jpg

and then decided to try something new just for the heck of it...

RR soybeans and forage oats! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

RRSobeansandforageoats.jpg

I got to thinking that maybe the oats will keep the deer happy (and confused) while the beans are small and then I can kill the oats/weeds with Roundup later...hey, you never know until you try!

Trying a bushier type soybean from nannyslayer that will draw deer from miles around...ohhh...that's right, they already come here from miles around... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

RRSoybeans.jpg

Note the information on the bag like "seeds per pound" to determine seeding rates. I tried for 200,000 seeds per acre because it gets pounded so hard.

SoyInfo.jpg

I used soybean inoculate fro Welters...

just a dab of water with it and it will stick to the seed.

SoybeanInoculant.jpg

Reading back thru this thread will give you plenty of other planting information about both soybeans and corn and planting the two together.

I love corn but with nitrogen doubling in price every year, it's out of the question. Soybeans are a legume and are still a great draw if one can plant them where deer won't kill them in the early stages.

We'll see what happens... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I put in a couple RR C/B combo acres this past Sat. On three of the four plots I mowed stocks, brocasted N and seed and tilled. On the 4th plot I skipped the mowing and tilled standing stocks (it's a long story). /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif Then brocasted N / seed, and retilled. Unfortunately several hours later close to 3" of rain hammered my "gopher mound" like plots! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

I'm sure some/most of the seed and N is down stream at the neighbors and what is still left at my place will be under a terrible crust. Probably 2 acres of the finest looking mud pies one has ever seen.

I'll post in a week if anything comes up. Haven't had the heart to go check them out yet...

I'm just really really glad my farming skills/luck do not support my check book. I work to support my farming habit.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Field Service</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm just really really glad my farming skills/luck do not support my check book. I work to support my farming habit.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
</div></div>

Ain't that the truth! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif It would have been cool to farm back when you could make money doing it. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skully</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Field Service</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm just really really glad my farming skills/luck do not support my check book. I work to support my farming habit.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
</div></div>

Ain't that the truth! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif It would have been cool to farm back when you could make money doing it. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

And when exactly was that? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

On a related question, when is it to late to plant soys for a food plot?

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom