Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rye vs Corn?

letemwalk

I need some input/suggestions. Last august I overseeded rye in about 1/3 of a 1.25 acre bean plot. I normally rotate corn / beans and then alternate every 3rd year with legumes (alfalfa, clover...). My question is, I now have a great stand of rye in that part of the former bean plot and am debating about whether I should till the entire plot and put to corn or just leave the rye and plant corn in the remaining part. I was thinking I could let the rye seed and disc it in July and let it reseed itself for a fall plot(I assume rye does this as oats do..?). I'm not sure what type of a plot this would make...any suggestions?

Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
I need some input/suggestions. Last august I overseeded rye in about 1/3 of a 1.25 acre bean plot. I normally rotate corn / beans and then alternate every 3rd year with legumes (alfalfa, clover...). My question is, I now have a great stand of rye in that part of the former bean plot and am debating about whether I should till the entire plot and put to corn or just leave the rye and plant corn in the remaining part. I was thinking I could let the rye seed and disc it in July and let it reseed itself for a fall plot(I assume rye does this as oats do..?). I'm not sure what type of a plot this would make...any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't trade rye for corn but rye will re-seed if you leave it go and disc it in.

Lot's of folks do that with wheat or rye but I always felt I got a better stand with fresh seed and typical tillage/planting.

It's all a matter of what you want and if you prefer to save some $$'s.

Corn is expensive but it is far more attractive for both food and cover and while a little difficult you can still seed rye or brassicas into standing corn in late summer.

As for leaving the rye...I've heard of some folks doing that year after year for many years in southern foodplots so it certainly can be done.

Top Bottom