Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

sad day for me

shackdaddy

ive been hunting this certain buck for weeks now, i have his routine down to a science so this afternoon i head out to my spot i park my truck and start walking and about 50 yards from the truck i see something laying in the grass i walk over and theres a large body deer with the head missing and a complete pass through bullet hole not a slug but bullet i flip it over and theres the scar on his shoulder i was hoping not to see its my huge 10 pt. i was so mad... how people can do things like this make me sick the buck in my opinion was easily 160 to 170 absolutly perfect beautiful buck... i paid my respect and then headed back to the truck

Man that stinks!!
crazy.gif

I was hoping not to hear that story from anybody this year...but it never fails
mad.gif

What I wouldn't give to help catch just one of those idiots!!!

It'd be worth calling the DNR. There may not be much they can do, but they outta know if someone is poaching (especially with a rifle).

I no longer call when I find a de caped monster. I find about 3 to 5 a season around Iowa City. Im not really sure how to stop this and think it will only get worse.

to be completely honest i would love to catch someone do it... minus the loss of a great buck or even a doe... it would be the worst day of there life especially after my find tonight... to work so hard finding a buck like that and the time and effort i put into it... some people make me sick

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Stick with it, the good guy still comes out on top. Some things are just out of our control.

[ QUOTE ]
I no longer call when I find a de caped monster. I find about 3 to 5 a season around Iowa City. Im not really sure how to stop this and think it will only get worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow
confused.gif
I am just a little confused on your reply because I feel you are just as guilty as the person doing the crime. Sometimes they might not catch them during that year but they do put 2 and 2 together but if no one reports it then they have nothing and think they have stopped the poaching. Still need to report it. It took them several years to catch the Mason Brothers down here in Decatur county, after a whole lot of detective work and people calling in they finally had a big enough case to nail them on a bigger fine and jail time.

I would still report it to the local Game Warden. If the deer is as good as you say, then I am sure that this poacher will slip up somewhere and either want to mount it or tell the wrong person. Its always good to report cases like this and maybe the DNR will step up their patroling. Also, I believe that the fine for poaching a deer over 150" is around $10K so if that person did get caught they would have to suffer. Good luck the rest of the season and taking a trophy the right way is more rewarding then picking one off with a rifle and spot light.

Reoprt it. Sometimes the officer will take samples of the deer for dna matching.If the officer receives a good tip later the may be able to match the dna and solves the case. I am on the TIP board and it is surprising how many cases are solved with very limited info. Poachers like to brag and you never know who might turn them in.

If I read your post right that buck had an identifying scar. You should definately report it. You would be able to testify on that. Every poached deer is part of a bigger puzzle.

I stopped reporting de caped deer when I found out that several conservation officers are involved in the brokering of mounts/road kills.

Thats too bad. I had a 190"-200" deer my dad and I saw about 3 years ago we wanted to hunt but learned a year later he was poached. People never seem to amaze me. I would call the DNR and report it. You never know, the guy that shot it might brag about it and someone will turn him in.

I feel for you. I've got a problem around my place with someone cruising the road shooting the deer and letting them lay. Out of 4 I've seen or heard of within 4 mile radius of my place only one has been headless but they all have been killed with a shotgun and slugs. Most are within 50 yards of the road. I just don't get it. What pleasure can possibly be gained out of this? The CO has been notified and is going to do his best to keep tabs on the area. A sidestory - I had a less than pleasurable experience last weekend while sitting at my place. I had went out at 2 hoping that the big boys might be cruising. Things were going nicely I had seen some activity nothing big but activity nonetheless. I guess I should set the scene my stand is 150 yard off the gravel so I can see the cars with binos thru the trees. Well about dusk a truck goes cruising past slowly I can hear the truck come to a stop and then "bang". Nice!! I think just another fine human being doing his best to harass someone while hunting. People never cease to amaze me.

On my friends farm in Northern Missouri where I hunt we had 27 deer shot from the road in one year. The bigger bucks they just took the heads and the smaller bucks and does they just leave them laying there. Elevn does in one night. The conservation police are stretched really thin.

Top Bottom