Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scent killer sprays

shrek1

PMA Member
I was in a "disscussion" the other day about these products and now I have a few questions?-- How do they make something that nuetralizes all odors smell like "fresh earth" ? (Which is about the strongest odor I've ever smelled.)

Have you ever walked thru the woods and went-- "That smells just like fresh earth"?

Which brand do you prefer?

With or without "fresh earth scent"?

I like scentkiller with out the fresh earth smell. Why go thru all the scent removing process if your going to cover yourself in a manufactured odor.

I don't use them anymore but just MO. It seems that such a "strong" smell, albeit natural, put many deer on edge for me. Made them more aware of their surroundings and scents. Thus, eventually picking up mine.

Now I wash all my clothes, sometimes every week, in neutralizing detergent and air dry. I also use something like dead down wind to neutralize scent on my way out. I put gas on my hand last year as an experiment, and then sprayed it with DDW, I could barely pick it up after. I am not a fan of scents but rather scent destroyers. I play the wind as best I can as it seems you'll never beat their nose.

I agree that neutralizing is the best option. It's always fun to watch a hunting video with a person who has wafers pinned all over him and then see the wind blowing right in his face...needless to say, there's no way on the planet the deer could smell anything with the direction they approach...which is exactly what anyone wants. I have been using a recipe that I found on the internet for making a neutralizer spray...and have had great success with it on my boots which is really one of the things I worry about most. I don't want them to know I was ever there!

Scent eliminaters such as Primos XP or Code blue eliminate HUMAN odor.The earths scents add a natural scent to the deer.Go out in your yard and pick up some wet leaves,grass and dirt after a rain and smell it..it smells exactly like those earth scent products.I have used earth scent at times and it works as well or better than anything.

The earths scents add a natural scent to the deer.Go out in your yard and pick up some wet leaves,grass and dirt after a rain and smell it..it smells exactly like those earth scent products.I have used earth scent at times and it works as well or better than anything.

i have smelled it often, especially after a field has recently been chiseled. It doesnt scare the deer at all, and i have used it for years. a little cover scent helps cover your stank......

Scent eliminaters such as Primos XP or Code blue eliminate HUMAN odor.The earths scents add a natural scent to the deer.Go out in your yard and pick up some wet leaves,grass and dirt after a rain and smell it..it smells exactly like those earth scent products.I have used earth scent at times and it works as well or better than anything.

Not according to their advertising. They say they eliminate odors from the gas station, exhaust fumes, etc.

Think about it really. How can something that is supposed to eliminate odor have an odor? Something doesn't add up. Just something to ponder while you are sitting in the tree stand.

I use the regular stuff on my boots to eliminate what I leave on the ground. The peroxide in the product breaks down bacteria and it's odor. I don't think their's anymore to it than that.

I play the wind as best I can as it seems you'll never beat their nose.

Scents and scent killers can stir up a few arguments but personally I have tried all of that stuff over the years and none of it beats hunting the wind.

I always wear rubber boots and now days I use nothing except clean clothes and there are places I have no choice but to cross a runway and not once ever has a deer paid the slightest attention to where I have crossed.

It is nearly impossible to "cover" your breath so what good is all the rest of the "scent killers"??

I have had oppurtunity to watch deer approach a friend of mine downwind, he wore carbon suits, bathed in all types of scent killer products, hosed down with them from head to toe before entering the woods and swore...No deer could smell him!!

Every deer that approached him from downwind, turned tail and snuck out of there with out so much as a snort and he never saw a one of them! Had I not filmed them from a distance he would have refused to belive me.

So don't ever assume that because you use these products that deer cannot still smell you because I assure you that there will be some that you will never see...that "saw" you with their nose.....;)

Hunt the wind...put your money in the bank.....:way:

My clothes smell like the woods and here's the proof!! :D

CleanClothes.jpg

I agree with dbltree.I always hunt with the wind in my favor.But bucks in the rut may come from any direction. To respond to Iowa1's post..the scent elimaters do a pretty good job of eliminating human scents..that includes unnatural scents to deer.Gas or anything else associated with humans.If you don't believe it try dumping a few drops of gas on your hands then after it drys spray your hand with Primos XP...the gas smell will be almost completely gone.If you spray your hand with XP with earth scent it will smell like earth...a more natural smell to wildlife.

If you don't think you're supporting someone else's habbits...look at lee and tiff's new bus!!! But heck yeah I'm jealous...so we might as well laugh at ourselves and keep supporting their habbits!!!

A pretty good job of eliminating odor? Another impossibility. Either it is eliminated or it is not.

Use your head man, you can't eliminate human odor. Your best hope is to reduce it, and use good hunting strategy to play the wind angle. That is how you will be successful in the long run young man. Not with shortcuts or gimmicks.

A pretty good job of eliminating odor? Another impossibility. Either it is eliminated or it is not.

Use your head man, you can't eliminate human odor. Your best hope is to reduce it, and use good hunting strategy to play the wind angle. That is how you will be successful in the long run young man. Not with shortcuts or gimmicks.

I agree for the most part. I think you can get rid of most of it but not eliminate all of it.

So..Iowa1? Do you feel you are better off trying to eliminate your scent the best you can or not try at all and just play the wind?I think I will do all I can to up my odds.Nothing will eliminate human odor completely.That why scent killer advertizes 99%...Anynone with common sense will try to eliminate all the human scent the can..gimmick or not.Even the Indians knew that 200 years ago when they would hang their clothes over smoke. All those big time professional hunters must just advertise the stuff but know it don't work so they really don't use it.

Okay Archery 95 here's one more try at it. I have no interest in trying to eliminate my scent. That's impossible. That is different than trying to reduce my scent. You cannot partially eliminate your scent. That's like being partially dead. Either you are or you are not.

I use Scent Away and feel as though I have had great success with it. I have had some rushed hunts where I leave at the last minute and don't spray down and got busted yet in the very same wind have had multiple deer downwind and not had a problem when using scent control measures. Was it the difference maker? I don't know but I feel somewhat strongly that it HELPS. Obviously playing the wind is the conventional wisdom for good reason but I'm all for any advantage I can get. YMMV.

i wear scent lok and spray my stuff down with scent killer. the other night i headed to the stand knowing the wind would be blowing right at where the deer were coming out at but i knew the deer were there. i did my normal routine of heating my gear up to activate the carbons and but them in the scent lok bag. got dressed and sprayed down myself. all the deer came from downwind and never once smelled me or got scared. i believe they work.

Top Bottom