Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shade on Switchgrass

archer212

I plan to plant an area of switchgrass that is surrounded by trees to make a bedding area. How shade tolerant is switchgrass? I see it mostly planted in fields but can it be used back in the woods. The area I want to plant is about one acre in size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: archer212</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I plan to plant an area of switchgrass that is surrounded by trees to make a bedding area. How shade tolerant is switchgrass? I see it mostly planted in fields but can it be used back in the woods. The area I want to plant is about one acre in size. </div></div>

An acre might be alright but I suspect that anywhere along the edges that is shaded...it's not going to do well or may not grow at all.

Switchgrass is a prairie grass meant to grow under hot summer sun in open environments so I can't say I would recommend planting it in your situation...I also hesitate to say that it absolutely won't work either.

If you try it...lets us know how it works out. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Just some thoughts...

If you can get an acre of switch going good in a remote location you are going to have a PRIME bedding area on your hands for sure, so it is worth a try.

Can you reduce the shade on the perimeter of the field by girdling selected trees that would otherwise throw too much shade on the plot? Leave them standing, but girdle them to kill them and let the sun shine through...

Can you "ring" the switch plot with winter wheat, clover or oats, something that would be more shade tolerant and provide a bit of food value? This would also give you a "burn" barrier because you will want to burn that switch every so many years too.

Overall, I like the idea, I am thinking of something similar at my place. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom